Does the Garmin Forerunner 10 have a lap button? (Read 286 times)

I know that it supports auto-lap but if you wanted to manually hit the lap button (like if you were doing a workout with various length intervals) can you do it? It does not appear so from anything I've seen/read but I also haven't seen it stated anywhere that it does NOT have one--that would seem to be such a standard running watch feature, one that might be considered such a given that it's not worth mentioning?

Believe it or not I am actually considering getting a new GPS watch IF I can use it as my only running watch.

I have a 6+ year old 205 that I use infrequently, mostly due to the size and goofiness--if I'm running a route where I know (or don't care) about the distance it's just easier to wear the good old fashioned Timex.

But both the FR 110 and the FR 10 appear to be pretty close to the size (and are approaching the price point) of a normal running watch--and my trusty Timex Ironman is getting close to end of life.

The combination of the price point, size, water resistance, battery life and simple design on FR 10 is really attractive. I don't need any advanced features, but the lack of lap button would probably be a deal killer for me.

Runners run

I RTFM'd it and I think I found the answer. You can set the "back" button to be the lap key if you want to mark laps manually.

I think I'm gettin' one.

Runners run

Thanks Mikeymike!

I have had several garmins (and still have a working FR 305).  But I decided to simplify my life (just got tired of the HRM strap) and bought the Forerunner 10 last year.  Very happy with it.  It does just what I wanted - pace, distance and uploading data to RA and Sporttracks.

And, it's ALMOST small enough to use as a regular watch.   Some folks might disagree with me on that -  I wear it to work sometimes but I accidentally hit buttons every now and then when I bend my wrist closer to 90 deg.

Nice to know it can do a manual lap also.  I've been going back to the 305 for interval workouts.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

That's nice to know.  I had been wondering about it, but hadn't wondered hard enough to actually look it up.  The green/pink models are a little smaller than the black one.

I was looking at the Forerunner 10 (when I thought my 205 was broken) and think it looks like a really decent watch.   Smaller and looks like a watch instead of a big bulky weird looking 205...........Fortunately my 205 came back to life so I dont have to buy a new one now which is good and bad....I'd like get something different but I'm too cheap to buy a Garmin when I have one that still works......Ill just have to wait until it totally dyes now.......

The reviews and write ups on the Forerunner 10 were really good.....no real bells and whistles but I dont think you really need most of that stuff anyway......

I think it would be a great choice for someone that wants a basic Garmin....

Champions are made when no one is watching

joescott

I RTFM'd it and I think I found the answer. You can set the "back" button to be the lap key if you want to mark laps manually.

I think I'm gettin' one.

BTW, you can thank a certain someone for the fact that there is a manual lap function (although it is a bit buried as you discovered).  One caution, mikey:  no lap data screen or even lap data fields.  You will still get the "popup" lap notification on a manual lap event telling you (for 8 seconds or so) what the time was for the last lap, but the regular data fields for timer and distance are totals only, you can't get the time/distance into the current lap.  Depends on the kinds of workouts you want to do with it, but this can be notable drawback.  Knowing what kind of runner you are, I thought you should be made aware of this limitation.  (Probably for the majority of people it's not an issue).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

BTW, you can thank a certain someone for the fact that there is a manual lap function (although it is a bit buried as you discovered).  One caution, mikey:  no lap data screen or even lap data fields.  You will still get the "popup" lap notification on a manual lap event telling you (for 8 seconds or so) what the time was for the last lap, but the regular data fields for timer and distance are totals only, you can't get the time/distance into the current lap.  Depends on the kinds of workouts you want to do with it, but this can be notable drawback.  Knowing what kind of runner you are, I thought you should be made aware of this limitation.  (Probably for the majority of people it's not an issue).

Thanks, Joe!

I did find an old thread where you explained the lack of a current lap display...only problem was I discovered it after I had ordered the watch. Oh well.

The only time I think this will come into play at all for me is doing track workouts--but that is also the one type of run where I'm least likely to use a GPS watch.  Still, I had hoped to make the FR10 my only running watch and now it looks like I'll have to keep the old timex ironman around for that one use case. Not a huge deal.

I hemmed and hawed between the FR10 and the FR110 but I think even if I had known about the lack of a lap display, at the roughly $100 price point I still would have bought the FR10. I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to running and the simplicity of the 10 really appeals to me, where the display on the FR110 seemed a little busy to me. 95% of the time I will probably only have it display total time and total distance.

But, man, how hard would it have been to make one of the six available screens be Time/Lap Time? It's such a no-brainer to me that I didn't even think about it. Any chance that could come as a software update? Three of the possible displays include calories. Calories??

But hey, all in all it looks like a great package of features, simplicity, size and price.

Runners run

joescott

Yes, you have hit on the exact use case -- on the track -- where the Forerunner 10 is not the right tool, unfortunately, and you end up needing two watches.  But if you're willing to hang on to your old Timex, as you say, then you'll be covered.  There are also some times when I personally would like to be able to see the lap time (and lap distance) when I'm doing something hard out over the road, but it's not nearly as critical as the use cases on the track that you know very well.

On your other very good point, how hard would it have been to include Lap Time instead of say, calories...  Calories???????  Indeed.  I mean calories!?!?!  Don't people know how to multiply by 100, for love of Judas Priest?  Yes.... we'll let's just say the hardcore runner (or hardcore middle aged pretty fast for an old guy hobbyjogger, if you prefer)  lost some internal debates centered on the identity of the target customer.  Feel free to heckle me.  I deserve it over "calories"!

- Joe

kcam

Yes, you have hit on the exact use case -- on the track -- where the Forerunner 10 is not the right tool, unfortunately, and you end up needing two watches.  But if you're willing to hang on to your old Timex, as you say, then you'll be covered.  There are also some times when I personally would like to be able to see the lap time (and lap distance) when I'm doing something hard out over the road, but it's not nearly as critical as the use cases on the track that you know very well.

On your other very good point, how hard would it have been to include Lap Time instead of say, calories...  Calories???????  Indeed.  I mean calories!?!?!  Don't people know how to multiply by 100, for love of Judas Priest?  Yes.... we'll let's just say the hardcore runner (or hardcore middle aged pretty fast for an old guy hobbyjogger, if you prefer)  lost some internal debates centered on the identity of the target customer.  Feel free to heckle me.  I deserve it over "calories"!

Target customer for the FR10 seems to be the fitness runner for whom 'calories' (as reported by a computer so it must be correct) is uber important.   Lap times, you say?  What's that and how does it make me feel like a winner?

Hah! I appreciate your fighting the good fight, Joe.

Do you think there is any chance of a software update that might give is just one screen with time / lap time?

Runners run

joescott

Hah! I appreciate your fighting the good fight, Joe.

Do you think there is any chance of a software update that might give is just one screen with time / lap time?

As much as I would personally love it, Mike, I think the chances are slim.  (sorry!)

- Joe

I figured as much, Joe. I can see from a product standpoint how this would fall under the category "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I realize I'm not exactly the target user for this product. Honestly from a sales and marketing perspective I have to admire how this product appears to cover the features that 95% of users will want, and leaves out anything extra in favor of a simple design and low price.

On another note--there is probably no reason why you couldn't use the run/walk feature to do interval workouts on the roads. The way I do probably 75% of my workouts is things like 6 x 3 minutes on / 1 minute off.

Runners run

Okay here's my update. I got my FR10 on Monday and I've used it for 3 runs now. Great little watch. I've also worn it since then as my every day watch all week. It's a little dorky, but not too bad. I even did a little (road) interval workout today and it was absolutely fine.

But I've got a little buyers remorse now and I'm probably going to buy a FR210 to add to my growing collection of GPS watches. There are just a couple of features (and that lap time display is one of them) that I kind of wish I had. Plus the 210 looks better, which is important since apparently I've reached the point in my life where I think it's okay to wear a GPS running watch to work and in polite company, and it has a longer battery life.

Someone's got to keep our economy rolling, so why not me? And my daughter can use the FR10 this summer when she's doing her summer running for XC...

I still have never run a race with a GPS. But I plan to in the future. In the last bunch long races I've run, I found myself going to other people's (usually BadDawg's) logs looking for my mile splits--that's largely what prompted my sudden interest in GPS watches after not really feeling like I had much use for one for the longest time. I will likely just display time and distance and let the watch collect all the splits for post-race geekery and for that purpose I will probably still use the FR10, not the 210 since the display is simpler.

Runners run

joescott

It's a little dorky, but not too bad.

I still have never run a race with a GPS.

Glad it's not too bad.  Joking

When I first moved over to Fitness from another department and then ran my PR marathon without a GPS watch, you should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth....

Also glad to know that you are single-handedly keeping me employed, Mike.  Keep driving that economy forward!

- Joe

Ha. A PR without a GPS? How's that possible?

I do like the way the watch tells me when I run a PR for the mile, which I've apparently done in each of my 3 runs with it. Strangely none of my 3 successive mile PR's have been as fast as my average pace from Sunday's half marathon.

Runners run