shoe strategy for snow, cold and ice (Read 150 times)

onefatchick

Thanks to recent posts and some other old archived posts, I invested in a pair of Sporthill XC pants and some UA thermal tights for outdoor cold weather/windy running  and couldn't be more pleased!

My recent runs outdoors have been in temps in mid20s with no snow or ice.  We recently had our first snowfall of the season and I found myself running indoors on the treadmill to avoid running in slippery, wet conditions.   So what would you all recommend for shoes, socks etc for running in winter conditions of ice and snow?  Would you recommend a pair of trail shoes or those yaktrax attachments to your regular running shoes?  How do you prevent your feet from becoming wet?  Do you wear two pairs of socks and buy the next larger 1/2 size of running shoes?

Thanks

obiebyke

Hey there OFC. I live in Minnesota, so lord knows I run in winter. Really, I don't do much differently: same shoes, same socks. My feet seem to regulate themselves temperature-wise as long as I'm moving. I occasionally will use YakTrax Runs--the Run model is important, because it has spikes in the front instead of coil--but they're annoying in most conditions. So, yeah. Running shoes, running socks.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Generally, same shoes as summer - trail. With some models, I've used 1/2 size larger, but my present ones work with even my heavier socks.

Socks - smartwool (or REI imitation). Maybe neoprene socks under certain conditions.

For colder or snowier days, I may use neoprene overbooties (see Crescent Moon snowshoe wear, but some cyclists use something similar for winter biking). Crescent Moons are about 5mm thick while the cycling ones are closer to 3mm, iirc.

Traction / flotation: Ultra Snow & Ice Cleats or something similar for ice. (We can frequently get these or something like them in seasonal dept at grocery store for $15-$20 a pair. Great for getting across icy parking lots).

Kahtoola Microspikes for various types of snow.

Running snowshoes for deeper snow.

Other options: screw shoes (work well, but don't like to have to put shoes off/on at trailhead)

IceBugs - haven't used them because they used to be narrow. Cleats retract. Might be waterproof but not sure. Many more models now than they used to have - and available locally - so might look into them.

I do have a pair of Montrail Badrocks with Outdry uppers, which are nice for keeping snow and wet out - as long as you don't go above shoe top. However, they changed the shoe design (put a rocker in there) from the regular Badrocks, so they didn't work for me.

Some of the ultra runners use regular shoes, others use some type of waterproof or at least resistant upper, maybe with a built-in gaitor. BUT they might be out for several days running in the snow. Those folks are usually dealing with overflow at some point, and not sure if they just get by with trashbags or what.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

an amazing likeness

Hey there OFC. I live in Minnesota, so lord knows I run in winter. Really, I don't do much differently: same shoes, same socks. My feet seem to regulate themselves temperature-wise as long as I'm moving. ... So, yeah. Running shoes, running socks.

Same here -- same shoes. Two minor sock changes -- first is to use a mid-calf sock style rather than lower for snowy runs, and use wool (smartwool) socks in wet snow or slush when I know feet will be wet early in the run.

If it's bad enough footing to require yaktracks or screw shoes...screw it, treadmill.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

Montreal here. I have run outside for the past two winters in normal running shoes with smartwool socks. My toes were uncomfortably cold only once in two years, and there was no frostbite danger there.

This coming winter, though, I'm going to try Salomon Speedcross 3 trail shoes. They have a deep cleats, and the rubber is soft (should grip better). I'll probably use them only 5-10 times, but I'm hoping they will be less slippery in icy conditions. I'll know in February or so Smile

I live in Ashland, WI.  My winter running shoes are Brooks Adrenaline GTX.  These are Goretex trail running shoes.  For socks I use Walmart black work socks.  And gaiters from zombierunner.com to help keep snow out of the shoes.  With that combination, I can run in several inches of new snow, and have even run on wet ice.

I tried some traction contraptions once, but did not like them and got rid of them.  I just learned to run carefully in winter.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I live in New Jersey and last year we had lots of snow and ice. I usually run in Saucony Kinvaras so for snow, I got a pair with a waterproof upper http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Saucony_Kinvara_5_Runshield/descpage-SKN5RW1.html  They worked great for runs when it was snowing or when I had to run through unplowed snow on trails; socks stayed nice and dry and the shoe felt like my regular running shoes. For ice, I used Yaktrax and they worked out okay for me.

Kalsarikännit

3/8" sheet metal screws.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

NHLA

I where the same shoes unless its really bad then Lowa shoes and Cabelas waterproof socks. Only gets that bad a couple of times a winter.

I use milk bags as poor man's gore-tex socks when it's really bad (usually during winter thaws or spring snows) and screw shoes for part of the winter.

Before I did running to commute, I didn't bother with this stuff, because I could avoid the uglier terrain by choosing routes, but I've got a few choke points I've got to go through to get to work.