Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 (Read 1502 times)

Julia1971

As far as when to start, I'm theoretically already training for my April Boston appearance.  I have to train through snow coming up here and I want to have a strong base and tempos of that speed/distance already doable before I officially start (12 weeks before).

I wore a hat on my run this morning for the first time this season.  It's going to be a long winter!

I guess I'm theoretically already training, too.  But, I have one more potential training derailer - a friend's destination wedding in two weeks.  So, I'm telling myself I haven't officially started.  I am ramping up though - I entered most of my training plan here on RA, I'm making myself get up earlier, getting my iTunes playlists in order...  I'm gonna be ready come December!  (Hopefully.  Maybe.)

But, I have one more potential training derailer - a friend's destination wedding in two weeks.  

If I'm going somewhere I haven't been before I spend a little time with google maps with the satellite imagery turned on to try and find a couple of good routes from the place I'm staying. 

hairshirt knitter

If I'm going somewhere I haven't been before I spend a little time with google maps with the satellite imagery turned on to try and find a couple of good routes from the place I'm staying. 

I went to my sister's 'destination' wedding 2 weeks ago, and fell off a borrowed bike on a high speed descent - road rash and a bust rib - not ideal, is that a training derailleur?. A cautionary tale.

Julia1971

That's true.  I can look for a course here on RA.  Thanks!  I checked the website for the place we're staying at has a gym.  I'm hoping it has a working treadmill and it's not facing a wall or something.  I guess I could also call and ask.  Great, there goes my excuse!  Wink

FWIW, I ran 50 miles per week last week - first time since late July.  W00t!  Hoping to keep that up through November and have a few weeks in the 60s.

Julia1971

I went to my sister's 'destination' wedding 2 weeks ago, and fell off a borrowed bike on a high speed descent - road rash and a bust rib - not ideal, is that a training derailleur?. A cautionary tale.

Yikes!  Is your rib really broken?  Can you run?

I also play field hockey.  At practice last week, I tripped myself somehow and took a nasty tumble.  My knee was swollen the next day but in the end I just have a patch of turf rash.  Only a couple more weeks of that risky behavior.

ETA: I wore my Garmin while playing.  My 1:18 of playing time was 4.5 miles.  At some point, I maxed out at 10.3 mph.  (Probably chasing down a ball.)

I'm in. Haven't done my first marathon yet (it's on November 6th), and haven't been running for six months yet...but I'm nuts, so why not? Peaked at 81 miles one week with no training plan to speak of (aside from my taper plan, since it was the only way I could make sure not to run too much).

Shooting for ~3:45 for this November 6th.

I'll probably have two attempts at sub-3:30 next year. One is Flying Pig, which is hilly, sure, but less hilly than where I live. Going to try sub-3:30 there. Also planning to do a couple ultras (one or two 50Ks locally, plus the Dances with Dirt in Hell 50 miler next September). My other marathon might be Chicago--got some friends doing that one and trying to convince me to, despite it being just a few weeks after my 50 miler.

Not sure what training plan I'll be trying. Have to see how this "lots of easy miles, then sharpening the last 3 weeks" works for my first one!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

hairshirt knitter

I'm in.

Not sure what training plan I'll be trying. Have to see how this "lots of easy miles, then sharpening the last 3 weeks" works for my first one!

Good goals - welcome on board! Good luck next week too - let us know how you get on.

Not sure if the the rib broke or just some intercostal bruising. It's getting better, and the sorest thing is actually lying on my back on the floor, so can't do much core work, but I can seem to run pace with not too much pain. Deep inhalation catches, but otherwise ok. I just ran 6 tempo miles in 42:59 pain free. Ego suffered more bruises!

Sure I'm in. Actually, I'm really stoopid so I'm going to go for a 3:15 (BQ). Been in build-up mode since July after a winter of Plantar Fasciitis mandated bench time. Started back up in late June at 185 lbs. I'm now at 167 and just hit 53 miles last week for my first 50 mile week since September 2010. PRd a 5 mile race (35:20) and a half marathon in October (1:38:10). So I'm nutty to think I can hit 3:15. but I'm dumb enough to try. 

My running club gets Boston #s they award to a couple lucky members. I qualified for the drawing so we'll see within a couple weeks if my name gets drawn from the hat. If I don't, I'll run Sugarloaf in May. 

I plan to hang at 45-50 mile weeks with 1-2 quality workouts for November and December. Plan to follow Pfitzinger with some modifications. I'd also like to break 20 for a 5K and 1:30 for a HM. 

Cheers and happy training. 

I might be in for this.  Am doing London in April, sub-3:30 looks like it should be achievable but I haven't done a marathon before and I will not punish myself if a wheel comes off somewhere.

Idea is to build up to about 35mpw over the next 6 weeks then start Pfitzinger's 18/55 plan.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Julia1971

Got sidelined with a cold/flu this past week.  Sad  But, I made it out today for a 9 mile medium run.  I'm still a little congested, but it felt great running again.

In the meanwhile, I got some gear.  (I love gear!)  I bought two pairs of mittens since my hands are always freezing during winter runs and a Brooks nightlife jacket.  As soon as I put it on I realized the jacket's too small but I decided to keep it (maybe my arms will shrink during training).  I'm thinking maybe running in a jacket will keep me warmer in the winter.  And, I can stow hats and gloves in the pockets.

I also bought some Cytomax and Nuun.  The Cytomax was kind of tasty, the Nuun...  not so much.  But, I got used to it by the end of the run.

And, I still haven't checked on the running situation for the wedding.  I have a few more days, though.

xor

I would be 0 for 2 with cytomax and nuun, but I can handle nuun.  cytomax is like liquid plumr for my digestive tract.  rnr races serve cytomax.  I have to stick with water and gels for those.

Feel better.

Matthew Sherman

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this, its going to be a bit of a stretch but I guess thats the point.  No Marathons for me in 2010 when my second child was born or 2011, stress fracture in my foot after a sprint tri.  I did Miami and OBX in 2009, 3:58 PR) so I am kind of amped up to get back after it.  Haven't settled on any specific races yet probably 2, maybe Cox Providence in May and Philly in the fall but we'll see. 

2012Goals: Run 1500 miles  *   < 3:30 marathon  *  Complete first 70.3  

<20 5K

Scotch, Scotch, Scotch.....Down in my belly.

hairshirt knitter

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this...

Excellent! We need some kind of way of tracking who is in, don't we? What's the best way of doing that?

Myself, I ran my last planned race of the year on Sunday, a 1/2M where I pulled a calf muscle at 2km but decided to run through it to a 1:36:23 - felt great other than the injury pain and I reckon I could even have run a 1:32. I'm going to take a couple of weeks of recovery now, low miles or even a break from running, do some time on my bike on the trainer, and then start building base miles again.

Rub, I'm happy to start and maintain a thread like the sub-3:00 thread I linked to one page 1.  Or someone else can.  Let me know.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

I'm in too.  Although I broke through this year on an optimal day I'd like to repeat or improve.

Tentatively, Pittsburgh in May, Drake Well in Aug and NYC in Nov (if I can qualify).

My 2 cents about what helped me. I hodge podged a plan from RW and Hal Higdon.  Increasing a mid week run and hills were key. Plus luck.

I'll try to make a commitment to keep up with others in this thread. I have a habit of drifting away.Embarrassed

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete