Garmin 405 on Slickdeals (Read 103 times)

Amannrunner

On Slickdeals they are selling the Garmin 405 for 99$. I have been thinking about getting a GPS watch/HR monitor, but I am still a bit clueless on how to know what I need. I thought this might be a good one to start with. I was also looking at the Garmin 210 but it is of course much more expensive. Anyone have a Garmin 405 or heard anything about it? Anyone know any pros and cons to consider? I would appreciate any advice!

Thats a solid deal!  LOVE my 405.. had the same one for 3+ years, never had an issue

---------

zonykel

I've had the 405 for a couple of years. It's solid, except for the bezel. Once wet, the bezel goes crazy, starts beeping, and it's hard to control.

check the reviews prior to buying.

I replaced it with the 310xt, and I like the buttons a lot better than the bezel. If size matters to you, there are other watches with buttons. I think the 210 you mention is one of them.

if price is an issue, get on the mailing list for heart rate monitors USA and eventually, you'll get a coupon between 5-10% off. Woot and groupon may eventually offer something, but this past holiday season all they were off loading was 405 and 410s.

On Slickdeals they are selling the Garmin 405 for 99$. I have been thinking about getting a GPS watch/HR monitor, but I am still a bit clueless on how to know what I need. I thought this might be a good one to start with. I was also looking at the Garmin 210 but it is of course much more expensive. Anyone have a Garmin 405 or heard anything about it? Anyone know any pros and cons to consider? I would appreciate any advice!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I got a refurbished 405CX from Woot for about the same price. The GPS syncs faster than my older 301 and is more accurate. Haven't had water problems yet - haven't run in the rain. Some user interface issues tho - don't think they did a good job including human factors in how they layered the software and functionality. For instance, if you don't lock the bezel it can switch from workout display to another display (time, or GPS) with no way to get back to workout displays without stopping and restarting the workout. I've learned to lock the bezel then start the workout and have no problems. I also do not like that the back light doesn't come on when doing intervals, and if bezel is locked you don't have anyway to turn it on. But for the price, $50 cheaper than I paid for the 301 back in 2008! it works great for me. The HR strap is newer technology and more comfortable as well.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Snaylor

I bought a 405 used on craigslist for $90 a few years ago and I have been very happy with it. As zonykel has said if the bezel gets wet it can be hard to control. When that happens I just wipe it off and it is good to go. The Garmin 405 is my first and only GPS watch I have used.

I have a 405 and used it to track over 1,000 miles of running.  Other than it freezing once or twice and needing a hard reset, I've had no issues.  The bezel is a royal pain in wet conditions, but for $99 you could probably just live with it.

I am selling mine now on Craigslist, simply because I want something simpler (like a 210).  A 405 has more features, but as I said, the bezel is a pain.  A 210 however, is twice as much money as the deal you found.