very disheartening to be this bad, any advice? (Read 2004 times)

Jess Causley

I have been running since feb 2010, but I took a stupid 5 month break over summer (Australian summer) and started running in februari again. I run and run and train pretty hard and it is just not happening for me.

I want to run a half marathon in 2,5 months and I don't know if I can do it. I did run 15 kms last week, but it took me forever, like 2h20min I think. I try to do long runs, tempo runs and long intervalls every week. What else can I do???

Then perhaps it is normal to be this bad after so short at running? My runningfriends I started off with never got to 5 km and have all given up, so at least I am better then them. I do have 4 kids under 7 and I am busy with businesses as well, so it is hard to fit in running. But I still get sad I am not better.

So I guess I want to know what you can expect after this amount of time training? Are there any good ways of getting faster over a long distance? I don't want to be a great runner, but it makes it a lot more fun if you are faster. How important is weight? I weigh a little bit too much. Is it worth loosing 5-8 kg for the sake of the running?

Marylander

Run more and with more consistently. Don't worry so much about the tempo or interval stuff until you're running more....

On My Horse

There is no secret to running.  Do it more and you will get better.

Some people get better faster, for others it takes longer, but so long as you continue to push yourself you will continue to improve.  Try not to think too much about it, just do it. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ian Costello

I think that you will be able to complete the half marathon, but with such a short time scale and the fact that you are relatively new to running, you will not achieve your true potential. However I see no harm in having a go and setting a marker to beat in the future.

In my experience I have found that short intervals are a valuable way of improving fitness, and also help to lose excess weight.

I would suggest sessions like 10x1min with 1 min rest, 5 x 3mins as fast as you can sustain with 3 mins rest, don't worry about jogging the recovery, rest and get ready to go hard again on the next one. It may seem a little strange running such short distances, but they should make a difference. Consistency is the key to success in running and I would suggest a minimum 10-12 weeks consistent training is required.

I am no expert and I am only offering my opinion based on personal experience. I am 40 years old and ran a 1:20 half marathon this year with relatively low mileage training.

As for the issue of weight I personally think it is worth it, there is a gain of around 1minute per kg of weight over the half marathon distance. See this Calculator. Is is simply a question of whether you think it worth it.

Good Luck. Smile

MelRunner

Stick with it, find small victories in your runs Smile  

It is enevitable that you will get better if you keep running Smile

Jess Causley

thanks for all advice. I will stick to it and try to find small victories. Will try to fit in those intervalls, sounds like fun.

1 min/kg sounds like it is worth it. I have pregnancy weight to loose. I started 4 days ago and have already lost 4 kg, so in a few weeks I could be back to normal and then be 10minutes faster on my half marathon..

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have been running since feb 2010, but I took a stupid 5 month break over summer (Australian summer) and started running in februari again. I run and run and train pretty hard and it is just not happening for me.

I want to run a half marathon in 2,5 months and I don't know if I can do it. I did run 15 kms last week, but it took me forever, like 2h20min I think. I try to do long runs, tempo runs and long intervalls every week. What else can I do???

Then perhaps it is normal to be this bad after so short at running? My runningfriends I started off with never got to 5 km and have all given up, so at least I am better then them. I do have 4 kids under 7 and I am busy with businesses as well, so it is hard to fit in running. But I still get sad I am not better.

So I guess I want to know what you can expect after this amount of time training? Are there any good ways of getting faster over a long distance? I don't want to be a great runner, but it makes it a lot more fun if you are faster. How important is weight? I weigh a little bit too much. Is it worth loosing 5-8 kg for the sake of the running?

A  56:18 10K = 2:06:08 for the half. Build mileage. Forget speed work.Is the half in 8 weeks or  5 months. If it is  8 weeks you may just need to make it to the start line  without an injury and not DNF.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Jess Causley

I am thinking about trying a 17 km run this afternoon as Nan is going to look after the kids. I just don't know if I am better off working to get my 10 km under 1 hour or if I should go for longer runs? Perhaps my I will get faster on 10 km if I can ran further?

Loves the outdoors

I am thinking about trying a 17 km run this afternoon as Nan is going to look after the kids. I just don't know if I am better off working to get my 10 km under 1 hour or if I should go for longer runs? Perhaps my I will get faster on 10 km if I can ran further?

Going for longer runs will help your 10k. So enjoy your long child free run!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Stick with it, find small victories in your runs Smile  

It is enevitable that you will get better if you keep running Smile

+1

Your bad is somebody's good.  Keep with it and the improvement will come.  Nothing is bad with what you've been doing anyway...you're running and trying to improve.

I wasn't sure how you meant this part.  Are you saying you'll work toward lowering your 10k race time, or that you'll work toward doing your regular 10k training runs faster?  If the latter, I think that's not the optimal way to go about it.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a disproportionate percentage of your running days are other than easy runs.  Just in April, there's a good number of hills, tempos and whatnot ... a lot of white space ... and very few easy days.  (Literally: six easy days in February, two in March, one in April)  As you work toward the longer-range goal of "run more", you might also want to reconsider the mix of easy/non-easy you employ.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

As you work toward the longer-range goal of "run more", you might also want to reconsider the mix of easy/non-easy you employ.

Good point.  I just ran my two fastest HM's on nothing but slow, easy miles for 3 1/2 months.

Queen of 3rd Place

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a disproportionate percentage of your running days are other than easy runs.  Just in April, there's a good number of hills, tempos and whatnot ... a lot of white space ... and very few easy days.  (Literally: six easy days in February, two in March, one in April)  As you work toward the longer-range goal of "run more", you might also want to reconsider the mix of easy/non-easy you employ.

+1

Just easy days for you for now. Add a little bit of mileage (1 or 2) per week or every other week. If you can do that, you should be able to do your half. Stay consistent. Running improvement happens over months and years. You can run faster from time to time for fun for now, but be careful.

Ex runner

Jess Causley

thanks you all, you are so nice and helpfull!

Managed to run 17 km yesterday, even though it took me all afternoon. My father in law got so worried he went out to collect me in the car, but I am proud I declined his offer.

I might do an easy run today..... 

Most my white days last month were sick days. You get all sorts of sickness when you have four small kids.