Yaktrax (Read 992 times)

No run...need sleepy!

Hey all!

I'll be running the Warrior Dash in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if Yaktrax might be a good addition to the gear.  I did it last year and had problems in the wet, muddy, hilly sections of the course.  I'll be wearing cheap sneakers without much traction at all.

They seem exclusively meant for snow and ice.  Is this the case?  Any other suggestions for mud specific courses?

I'm not out to break any records.  And I'm not interested in buying any new trail shoe if I can help it.

Thanks!

xor

Hmmm.

Thinking snow/ice... yaktrax be good for situations where you are on snow and slush full time. They be bad if you have sections of road or frozen-hard trail NOT covered in snow or slush.  They hurt on these sections and if you smash them too much on hard stuff, they will break.

SOOO...

Even if snow and slush was similar to mud, I'm betting a WD course is a mix of slop, super deep mud, and rocks and whatnot.  Probably same thing.

Plus snow and slush aren't always similar to mud.  Yaktrax might give you better traction, but I'm betting the little springies will just fill with mud and you will have "slicks" soon enough.

Just go with shoes and embrace the slippy slide.  Although I have not run a WD, I think that's sort of the point.  To be all nuts and get very dirty.

A Saucy Wench

I'm with srlopez...I dont think they would help nearly as much as they would hurt. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I'm thinking YakTrax would be a bad idea. 

Are you doing the one in Channahon? I am doing Sunday. I'm starting to get nervous about the fire jump. 

No run...need sleepy!

Thanks!  That's exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Yes, the release properties of mud will be drastically different than snow slush.  This would be a huge disadvantage.

Yes, the course will be slop, deep slop and super muck.  Plus fire, cars, cargo nets, wooden walls and sewer drains.  And likely hard packed dirt as well.  Another big drawback for Yaktrax it seems.

Yes!  Embrace the mud!

This is me last year...The Incredible Hulk Hogan!

Yes, I'll be in Channahon but on Saturday.  Don't worry about the fire.  If you don't make it over you just roll in the mud pit right after.  Wink

very nice! Are you wearing a costume this year?

No run...need sleepy!

very nice! Are you wearing a costume this year?

Yes.  I'll be Luke Skywalker with Yoda on my back.  I'll be getting that special haircut just for the occasion.

Where a costume!  It'll be that much more fun!

I just looked at the course again. It looks totally different!

The Assassins Escape with fire pole is making me nervous. I can't even bring myself to go down the fire pole at the playground Blush

Mta: went playground this afternoon and forced myself to go down the fire pole a few times. And that concludes my Warrior Dash training. Bgroot, have fun tomorrow!

No run...need sleepy!

I just looked at the course again. It looks totally different!

The Assassins Escape with fire pole is making me nervous. I can't even bring myself to go down the fire pole at the playground Blush

Mta: went playground this afternoon and forced myself to go down the fire pole a few times. And that concludes my Warrior Dash training. Bgroot, have fun tomorrow!

Nice!  Have fun!