What will Boston entry be like next year? (Read 1470 times)

Runner

Seeing that not counting Houston and Boston results runner's world says BQ's are down by a third at this point from last year.  Does anyone now think that it will be possible to sign up later than the current "window" next year for Boston?  

It also seems that just giving a 5:59 boost to current bq times will result in a larger number than usual in certain demographics if they seek to fill the race earlier rather than having even distribution across certain age groups. 

I'm not going to do Boston next year because I'm focusing on other races but thought that next year might be interesting given what has happened so far and the BQ time changes all happening at the same time. 

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

#artbydmcbride

Seeing that not counting Houston and Boston results runner's world says BQ's are down by a third at this point from last year.  Does anyone now think that it will be possible to sign up later than the current "window" next year for Boston?  

It also seems that just giving a 5:59 boost to current bq times will result in a larger number than usual in certain demographics if they seek to fill the race earlier rather than having even distribution across certain age groups

I'm not going to do Boston next year because I'm focusing on other races but thought that next year might be interesting given what has happened so far and the BQ time changes all happening at the same time. 

I don't follow your second statement at all.   

I imagine that Boston will fill in the two week window they have allotted for it to take.  I just hope I get in.    I am pretty close to the new standard BQ that is 5 minutes faster than last year.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

runner's world says BQ's are down by a third at this point from last year.  

The actual number of BQ's are down by a third, or the percentage of marathoners BQ'ing is down by a third?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

I'm not surprised they're down, with the tougher times. Link? Boston just happened, and was atypical, but why not count Houston?

Why is it sideways?

The actual number of BQ's are down by a third, or the percentage of marathoners BQ'ing is down by a third?

That's a good question. Neither the article nor the blog post mentions an important possibly confounding factor, which is simply that more people are running marathons, and the majority of those people who are starting out are not BQers.

xor

...even moreso with the 5:59 diet on the Q times.

Found this on the BAA website. Ignore the waiting list part, but more to the registration date. Looks like fall marathon will again be out.

Q:

Is there a waiting list for the 2013 Boston Marathon?

A:

There is no waiting list for the Boston Marathon. Applicants have their qualifying time verified, and this process may take several weeks. The Boston Marathon has never had a waiting list. Registration for the 2013 Boston Marathon begins on September 10, 2012.

Why is it sideways?

Yep, it seems strange that someone would do a detailed analysis like that but not mention the most obvious reasons for the decline.

Why is this even interesting?  Wasn't the exact intention and expected outcome to have fewer qualifiers when they lowered the qualifying times?

Runners run

hairshirt knitter

From baa.org, also "The field size for the 2013 Boston Marathon will not represent a significant increase from recent years." I wonder how the deferred entries from 2012 will affect qualifiers?

Runner

Why is this even interesting?  Wasn't the exact intention and expected outcome to have fewer qualifiers when they lowered the qualifying times?

I'm just curious how well it will solve the problem they had.  Will it work too well?  Could Boston be back to a race that you can qualify later for and sign up once that qualifying time is ran?  (Will Last Chance for Boston race once again actually be such a race)?

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

bhearn

From baa.org, also "The field size for the 2013 Boston Marathon will not represent a significant increase from recent years." I wonder how the deferred entries from 2012 will affect qualifiers?

Not much. 400-odd picked up their packets and didn't start; that's the upper limit on deferrals. Not all of those will be able to come back next year, and some percentage would have requalified anyway.

I'm just curious how well it will solve the problem they had.  Will it work too well?  Could Boston be back to a race that you can qualify later for and sign up once that qualifying time is ran?  (Will Last Chance for Boston race once again actually be such a race)?

I think we will likely get through the initial registration period without filling this year, which is good for the big fall marathons. I doubt we will make it out to Last Chance.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I suspect that whatever happens, it will not in any way influence my chances of running Boston.

bhearn

I suspect that whatever happens, it will not in any way influence my chances of running Boston.

Yep, your chances are zero, because if you try to go back to Boston next year, you will be forcibly restrained.