What is injured when it hurts right here? (Read 289 times)

jicama

Did we win?

it hurts here

This has been a lingering discomfort that got worse after a half-marathon on 2/2.  I've long felt better while sleeping if I hang my feet off the end of the bed; laying out flat is really uncomfortable.  The pain got really annoying last night after a "hard" five miles - it interrupted my sleep and bothers me enough to not run for the next few <period of time>s.

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

carolynlaitsch

gramapower

I'd guess pulled tendons.  Check your shoes.  Are you rolling in?  Try taping your arches and see if it changes.  You may need new shoes or arch supports for a while.

carolynlaitsch

I once got SEVERE pain in that spot when I was tying my shoes too tight.

Jeff

yes, are you tying your shoes tight? I had the same problem once and it was down to that. Alternately you may need a different lacing pattern, check the other recent foot pain q for details! Hoping the answer is that simple...Smile

I once got SEVERE pain in that spot when I was tying my shoes too tight.

I don't think those green arrows are pointing the exact spots.  I used to get quite sharp pain on the top of my feet (your general areas).  I think it was doe to the combination of running too much and tying the shoes too tight.  I switched to the Lydiard lacing and it helped a lot.  I would also ice the area as well as put my feet in the warm water (alternated icing and warm foot bath) and that seemed to help.

You can try this lacing: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/lacingthelydiardway.aspx  If the pain is too much, you can even skip the area--basically, you keep the lacing on the side but skip criss-crossing part across the top of your feet.

When you have an inujury, it's not very smart to do a hard 5-miler.  Keep it to nice easy jog or even brisk walking; whatever you don't feel unbearable pain.

it hurts here

This has been a lingering discomfort that got worse after a half-marathon on 2/2.  I've long felt better while sleeping if I hang my feet off the end of the bed; laying out flat is really uncomfortable.  The pain got really annoying last night after a "hard" five miles - it interrupted my sleep and bothers me enough to not run for the next few <period of time>s.

All due respect, you sound like you "know enough to be dangerous".  You seem to know "pronation" and you seem to have heard that it's a bad thing.  You also have heard that taping, arch support or "new shoes" MIGHT help.  Frankly, I very highly doubt that his issue is caused by over-pronation.  Shoes, yes it may be.  But most probably not so much because his shoes are not heavy-duty stability shoes; but most probably his shoes are way too over-side to his feet.  When the shoes are too bit, you have a higher tendency to tie your shoes too tight, damaging ligaments and sinews on the top of the feet.  The shoes with wrong shape can also cause this because, when the shoe doesn't really fit the shape of your foot, you tend to tie your shoe too tight.  If the shoe really fits, there's no need for such thing.  In fact, often, if the shape of the shoe fits your foot well, you may not even pronate or supinate.  You have most probably read otherwise; same thing that you have heard that you should buy new shoes after running 300 miles.

I'd guess pulled tendons.  Check your shoes.  Are you rolling in?  Try taping your arches and see if it changes.  You may need new shoes or arch supports for a while.

jicama

Did we win?

I switched to Lydiard-lacing Sunday; what a coincidence.  Could it really be that simple?

2014 races"

2013 races:

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

I guess we'll soon find out...  Let me know if it DOES help.  I'm curious too.

I switched to Lydiard-lacing Sunday; what a coincidence.  Could it really be that simple?

jicama

Did we win?

It can't help that I weigh 205 pounds.  I'm working on that.

Hah!  Does my profile picture make me look fat?

2014 races"

2013 races:

It can't help that I weigh 205 pounds.  I'm working on that.

Hah!  Does my profile picture make me look fat?

No, but it really looks like you're landing very hard on your heel...  Depending on what kind of shoes you wear, you might be getting a lot more shock-wave than you may realize (which is probably even more potential issue than "pronation").  If you're wearing one of those very thick heel shoes, you're adding almost a couple of inches to the "foot-lever".  If you can hear your foot slapping, you might be a good candidate for shin splint (along with other issues).  It is a simple physics; you are adding extra few inches on your heel and this would quicken the rate at which your foot would slap down, creating much higher force, shooting up this "shock-wave" through your shins.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this might be the cause of your foot pain.

jicama

Did we win?

No, but it really looks like you're landing very hard on your heel...  [...]  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this might be the cause of your foot pain.

I thought the same thing, but I looked at the video and it looks like I get my foot underneath me before I land.  The video was made with an older phone, though, so the frame-rate might not be enough to tell the whole story.  The shoes are Saucony's Pro Grid Ride 5, if that tells you anything.

I'll pay attention to the "slap" the next time I run, in a few more days.  I run once every week or two in my Vibrams, and I'm sure I land on my mid-foot (or toward the ball) and my calf muscles are sore the next day.  Maybe I should wear them more often to train myself to land past my heels?

2014 races"

2013 races:

jicama

Did we win?

It's been a long time since posting to this thread, but I wanted to give an update because there's been a change.

I've been running more as I train for a May 4 marathon (New River Marathon in Todd, NC) and my feet have been getting better even as I've been increasing my mileage.  I've changed two things: I'm more aware of how my feet are landing, ensuring that I'm landing mid-foot, and I've taken a break from my two-mile lunchtime walks.  I think the walks were preventing my recovery because I naturally land on my heels while walking.

I'll do twelve miles today.  This discussion has helped; thanks for the input.

Jim

2014 races"

2013 races:

It's been a long time since posting to this thread, but I wanted to give an update because there's been a change.

I've been running more as I train for a May 4 marathon (New River Marathon in Todd, NC) and my feet have been getting better even as I've been increasing my mileage.  I've changed two things: I'm more aware of how my feet are landing, ensuring that I'm landing mid-foot, and I've taken a break from my two-mile lunchtime walks.  I think the walks were preventing my recovery because I naturally land on my heels while walking.

I'll do twelve miles today.  This discussion has helped; thanks for the input.

Jim

Good to hear. Its interesting you mention walking as causing more problems than running. I notice the same thing. On Monday of this week I had to do a lot of walking on city streets in dress shoes, some of it in a hurry. It took me all week to tie the pain that suddenly appeared on top of my left foot back to that.

Runners run

Village people

I am glad to hear this are better. I thought the walking was interesting, too. In th fall, I did a fair bit of walking with a friend. i hurt my foot and it took me awhile to realize that it was the walking that had caused it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I do a lot of walking I will get really sore on the tops of my feet...sort of near the front/bottom of my ankle through about midway along the top of my foot.  It's especially bad if I wear a stiffer-soled shoe, like Dansko clogs.  It's like a really deep muscular ache and tightness.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay