Garmin recommendations (Read 1412 times)

I have the 405 w/ hr monitor.  I got it on sale for under $200.  (can't recall exactly how much).  I now have the footpod too.  I like it alot.  My gripe is I am not really that good at using the rim of the watch to change to different settings.

That is EVERYONE'S gripe with that watch and why they stopped using that design on the newer models. If you're an excessive sweater, like I am, then it starts to go bizirk when its wet.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I went from a 305 to a 405.  

HUGE MISTAKE!!!!

I had all sorts of battery issues, screen issues with the 405.  It's like their QC went out the window on the unit.  Never mind the issues with the bezel in the rain (even if it's locked). 

I'm now running with just a 110 as I wanted a cheap and small watch.     Wife and I have both been very happy with our 110's.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The 610 is pricey ($300?).  And the battery is short (4-6hrs?).  But the Touch Screen interface is very nice.  Also, it has V3 of their GPS signal software.  No idea what that really means.  It certainly means I still need to wait 90seconds to lock a signal outside my house. *shrug*.  Still, I love the watch.  Not a stitch of buyer's remorse.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

It certainly means I still need to wait 90seconds to lock a signal outside my house.

Hold still.  My old 305 took forever if I had it on my wrist and let my arm move at all, but it took ~40sec if I set it down while it looked to the sky.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Zortrium

Hold still.  My old 305 took forever if I had it on my wrist and let my arm move at all, but it took ~40sec if I set it down while it looked to the sky.

+1. I just turn on my Garmin and leave it on my windowsill, then it's usually locked on by the time I put on my shoes and retrieve it.  Always had much more of a hassle with it if I was wearing it when it was trying to lock on.

Maggie & Molly

this I dont' have an issue with.  By the time I walk out my door and to the corner (at best 50 feet) my gps has locked on the signal and I am ready to go. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The 405 is a good watch if you're willing to deal with the awful bezel and follow the golden rule "Lock your Bezel" before you start your run.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Lazy idiot

Regarding the GPS signal lock: I leave my 205 on and plugged into my computer when I'm not using it.  I'm sure someone will tell me that this is not good for the battery, my computer, my electric bill, or whatever. 

But I can assure you that I have not lost a GPS signal lock in over 2 months with this method. 

Tick tock

joescott

I am going with the 210.  I like the smaller size and longer battery life, plus it does what I need it to do.

Great choice.  Far and away my personal fave for the $$.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

The 405 is a good watch if you're willing to deal with the awful bezel and follow the golden rule "Lock your Bezel" before you start your run.

+1

Always lock your bezel when wearing long sleeves.

And remember to not look stupid when people ask you for the time.

Wing

Joggaholic

+1

So far I see 3 thumbs up and 1 thumbs down on the 405 in this thread. I hope I made the right choice buying one off ebay just 10 minutes ago. I had to make a not-very-informed decision in a few minutes' time to snap up what appears to be a good deal...

So far I see 3 thumbs up and 1 thumbs down on the 405 in this thread. I hope I made the right choice buying one off ebay just 10 minutes ago. I had to make a not-very-informed decision in a few minutes' time to snap up what appears to be a good deal...

I had a 405cx for about two days and took it back. The bezel was stupid and I had a tough time reading the screen.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

flatland mountaineer

deleted repeitive

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

+1

> What time is it?

I don't have a watch.

> What's that on your wrist?

That's an expensive watch-like device that doesn't show me the time-of-day.

> (Wordlessly walks off shaking head.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.