Spinning (Read 4323 times)

OK, I hate the gym, but my friend has lost 10 lbs in one month, doing a spinning class at the gym 3x a week, 45 mins. 

Question:  Is there really a difference between a normal everyday stationary bike and a "spin" bike?    

My boyfriend has his bike on dry dock, so it can be used as a stationary bike.    I'm just wondering if there really is a difference... My friend says a normal stationary bike is nothing like a spin bike. 

- Anya

jeffdonahue

Spin bikes have a knob by the handlebars I believe so you can adjust the tension pretty easily.

I tinnk the real question is whether you are going to have the same intensity of the workout if you are by yoruself on a bike in the basement, than if you are in a class with an instructor yelling at you and telling you when to increase the tension and when to back down?

I find spin class to be a very intense workout and more intense than the majority of people can/will do by themselves on either a stationary bike or a trainer.  Spin teachers vary greatly.  I prefer the ones who are true cyclists and where the class mimics a cycling workout as opposed to an aerobics intructor on wheels who has no idea what real climbs and jumps actually are on a bike. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you talking an outdoor bike on a trainer when you say "dry dock?"  You can definitely get a good workout indoors on a bike mounted on a trainer (assuming the bike is a good fit--if the bike is the wrong size you won't be comfortable and won't be able to work as hard as you would on a properly-sized bike), but it's VERY easy to become complacent without adequate motivation.  I lost a shit-ton of bike fitness over the Winter (did my first time trial yesterday at a slower pace than my easy rides of twice the distance by mid-summer...so demoralizing).  This was partly due to going from 100+ mile weeks to ~50 on the indoor trainer, but also due to the lack of intensity riding indoors.  It's just really hard to push oneself hard while pedaling in one place in the living room in front of a movie.

Relatively recently we discovered The Sufferfest workout downloads.  These things are worth every penny (and then some...and they are not too $$).  We now have 3 of them and will purchase the rest before next Winter, for certain.  They are funny, motivating, and HARD.  But they really make an hour (or more) pass MUCH faster than that same hour just pedaling along to whatever is on TV.  Local Hero or Revolver are good ones to start with.  They have good music and great race footage from all different types of races.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Your friend lost 10 lbs in one month by eating less.  A 45-minute spin class is maybe 400-500 calories.  Multiply that x3/week and 4 weeks/month and its 4,800 - 6000 calories.  Assuming all else equal, that's not enough to lose two pounds (3,600 calories /pound and assumes no offsetting buildup in muscleassmass).  Good for your friend, but it's the same ol' some ol' when it comes to weight loss.

Spin bikes are way better than the other bikes in a gym.  I like spinning but can't bear another minute of katy perry/brittany/ke$ha or the other pop drivel they insist on blaring.  I'll either ride a bike w/my headphones or find one of the few classes with musical variety.  It seems petty, but it gets old real fast.  Spinorama

Are you talking an outdoor bike on a trainer when you say "dry dock?"  You can definitely get a good workout indoors on a bike mounted on a trainer (assuming the bike is a good fit--if the bike is the wrong size you won't be comfortable and won't be able to work as hard as you would on a properly-sized bike), but it's VERY easy to become complacent without adequate motivation.  I lost a shit-ton of bike fitness over the Winter (did my first time trial yesterday at a slower pace than my easy rides of twice the distance by mid-summer...so demoralizing).  This was partly due to going from 100+ mile weeks to ~50 on the indoor trainer, but also due to the lack of intensity riding indoors.  It's just really hard to push oneself hard while pedaling in one place in the living room in front of a movie.

Relatively recently we discovered The Sufferfest workout downloads.  These things are worth every penny (and then some...and they are not too $$).  We now have 3 of them and will purchase the rest before next Winter, for certain.  They are funny, motivating, and HARD.  But they really make an hour (or more) pass MUCH faster than that same hour just pedaling along to whatever is on TV.  Local Hero or Revolver are good ones to start with.  They have good music and great race footage from all different types of races.

Yes, it's a regular bike that's mounted.    He's a former long distance biker, and used to use it when the weather was crappy...  It seems to work well for me, but I"ll admit it's hard to do more than 5 minutes.....   

So, do you use a regular bike, or a spin bike?

I'm just thinking of trying to use his, and see what happens... It's in the basement, with an old old TV, and no DVD or anything like that...

So, it's just me and my iPod.    

- Anya

The best spinning I ever found was at an un-manned gym. It consisted of one instructor for health and safety reasons, but they had a spin cinema. A spin cinema is basically a woman on a bike on the giant projector screen who takes you on a virtual bike ride but shouts at you like a spin instructor (and you do everything you would in a spin class). The only difference was, she couldn't hear me shout back, and she didn't play music. Which meant I could play my own music and just follow the resistance numbers on the screen and do what she appeared to be doing Wink

But yes, the bikes used for spinning have a manual resistance knob because you will keep having things like, "turn it up" shouted at you, which means put half a turn of resistance on or whatever. Just go along to a class and experience it. But bare 2 things in mind:

The seats hurt most bums, so bring a towel to sit on

Beginners class is not easy, so don't be fooled into take a more advanced class.

Enjoy Wink

EDIT: In terms of doing it yourself, just an ipod and a bike, that's not spinning, that's cycling maybe with intervals. Spinning involves a complete full body workout, including upper body. It varies from class to class but you can find yourself doing pressups/pushups, lunges, and all sorts, whilst riding the bike!

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

<--- I use that. Smile

Yes, it's a regular bike that's mounted.    He's a former long distance biker, and used to use it when the weather was crappy...  It seems to work well for me, but I"ll admit it's hard to do more than 5 minutes.....   

So, do you use a regular bike, or a spin bike?

I'm just thinking of trying to use his, and see what happens... It's in the basement, with an old old TV, and no DVD or anything like that...

So, it's just me and my iPod.  

You could do that...does your iPod have a screen?  I think you could still do one of those downloads on an iPod.  I've never used an iPod that can do video, though, so I'm not sure how you'd transfer it, exactly.  Personally, I don't think I could tolerate more than about 10 minutes on the "nowhere bike" without video of some sort.  There's a reason I don't own a treadmill, too.  Boredom is stronger than I am. Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I teach spinning classes.  Well, theoretically. I haven't in a bit.

Dunno about lunges on a spin bike.

As for upper body stuff, absolutely... but don't be confused, it isn't nearly the same workout as something actually focused on upper body.

Can do some groovy core stuff though.

<--- I use that. Smile

You could do that...does your iPod have a screen?  I think you could still do one of those downloads on an iPod.  I've never used an iPod that can do video, though, so I'm not sure how you'd transfer it, exactly.  Personally, I don't think I could tolerate more than about 10 minutes on the "nowhere bike" without video of some sort.  There's a reason I don't own a treadmill, too.  Boredom is stronger than I am. Blush

The sufferfest videos come in iPod touch / iPhone compatible formats.  For DVDs like Spinervals, you can convert them to files to play on the iPod/Phone using a number of simple tools.

If you're just looking for boredom elimination rather than a workout tape though, remember that Netflix and Hulu both have apps.

As far as differences between a stationary bike or a regular bike on a trainer and a spin bike, I think most spin bikes are fixed gear.  My regular road bike on a trainer works great for me for just simple crosstraining though.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

My iPod does not have a screen. Well, it does, but, it's really tiny....  it's the 2007 Nano, tiny, cute, but not a lot of memory.  Great for running though...

- Anya

Slice

Every spin class I've ever done has kicked my ass. It's super intense with an instructor. Left to myself I'm super lazy and quit after 10 or 15 minutes. You should go and take one class to see if you like it and then decide what to do. I have a trainer for my bike and I've never sweated like I do during a spin class. Now my gym is cheap and just has bikes with no instructor. They have the worst video EVER. So I still quit after 15 minutes.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Spin bikes have a knob by the handlebars I believe so you can adjust the tension pretty easily.

I tinnk the real question is whether you are going to have the same intensity of the workout if you are by yoruself on a bike in the basement, than if you are in a class with an instructor yelling at you and telling you when to increase the tension and when to back down?

I think this is the main difference - you have someone telling you what to do. If you're disciplined enough you can get the same intensity yourself... a heart rate monitor can help - makes it harder to kid yourself that you're working hard when you're slacking a bit.

yellowbicycle

Your friend lost 10 lbs in one month by eating less.  A 45-minute spin class is maybe 400-500 calories.  Multiply that x3/week and 4 weeks/month and its 4,800 - 6000 calories.  Assuming all else equal, that's not enough to lose two pounds (3,600 calories /pound and assumes no offsetting buildup in muscleassmass).  Good for your friend, but it's the same ol' some ol' when it comes to weight loss.

Spin bikes are way better than the other bikes in a gym.  I like spinning but can't bear another minute of katy perry/brittany/ke$ha or the other pop drivel they insist on blaring.  I'll either ride a bike w/my headphones or find one of the few classes with musical variety.  It seems petty, but it gets old real fast.  Spinorama

I had to comment on this.. I have taught spin for about 10 years... rest assured the instructors (or at least myself) is JUST as sick of that music but for some reason if we plan anything different you always have people complain and then the director will "remind me" that we are supposed to play TOP40 stuff. I LOVED my old 9pm spin class as I got alot of restaurant workers etc and I could blast some NIN and Linkin' Park!! I still sneak some good music in though and foound the trick is to finish with some Lady Gaga or whatever so the whiners don't complain!!

As far as the spin I echo what the others said. It is like lifting weights by yourself versus having a trainer. The instructor will push you much harder and also have the other people along with you in the class. Also these bikes are designed to be much more like a real bike.. compared to a reg stationery bike. Plus as someone else said you friend had to be dieting too.. 

I had to comment on this.. I have taught spin for about 10 years... rest assured the instructors (or at least myself) is JUST as sick of that music but for some reason if we plan anything different you always have people complain and then the director will "remind me" that we are supposed to play TOP40 stuff. I LOVED my old 9pm spin class as I got alot of restaurant workers etc and I could blast some NIN and Linkin' Park!! I still sneak some good music in though and foound the trick is to finish with some Lady Gaga or whatever so the whiners don't complain!!

As far as the spin I echo what the others said. It is like lifting weights by yourself versus having a trainer. The instructor will push you much harder and also have the other people along with you in the class. Also these bikes are designed to be much more like a real bike.. compared to a reg stationery bike. Plus as someone else said you friend had to be dieting too.. 

I am happy to say that I don't know any Lady Gaga songs that I know of.  

I would consider doing a spin class, but now it comes down to sweating too much and the whole embarressment of that.    

- Anya