Thinking of switching from morning to evening running... (Read 256 times)

delicate flower

Most of my runs are in the "evening", which means around 4:00 in the afternoon.  I get out of work at 3:00, drive home, and run.  I'm usually done with my run and have dinner in the oven before DW gets home from work.  No kids, which certainly makes this easier.

My morning runs are typically 30-60 sec/mile slower than my afternoon runs.  I just can't get going in the morning.

<3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I run slower in the morning.  Is that a problem? Serious question.

Same here, at least for the first few miles, which always results in a slower ave pace than for the same run in the afternoon. However, I know that by the time my run is over, the pace I'm running is no different than an afternoon run.  Is that true for you too? Or do you find you can never quite get warmed up and run as fast even towards the end of your run?

IMO, it seems like it would only be a problem if you were training for a shorter/faster race where you were working on leg speed and hitting certain splits. I always assume that if I'm "working" at the right intensity, pace is secondary. I know that on race day, where I've showered, eaten something, and have been awake for a couple hours, it will feel more like an afternoon run and warmed up from the beginning.

Most of my runs are right after I get home from work so I go out between 4:30 and 5:30.    After I'm finished, I cool down, shower and all, and then I usually eat at around 7:00PMt.    Everyone else in the house eats around 5:30/6:00....

Champions are made when no one is watching

IMHO = NO Problem.  I do too or at least until I really warm up and wake up.     I think this is pretty common   When I'm running a lot and racing, and if I do go out in the AM and am slower, it doesnt seem to have any effect on my race times..so I dont think its a problem to go early and run slower...

Champions are made when no one is watching

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I should have elaborated a bit. My experience is that my pace is almost always slower on morning runs, partly due to darkness, but partly due to physical sluggishness. My question, then, is whether morning training runs might be less effective because they're slower, or perhaps more effective because I get used to fighting against my sluggishness.  Who knows?  I don't plan to change in the near future.

mikeymike

For most of my running life, morning running was the only option. I generally run a little slower in the morning than if I do the same run in the evening and I file this phenomenon under: stuff that doesn't matter AT ALL.

The most important thing is consistency. You should run whenever it works best for you so that you'll be consistent.

Runners run

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Glad to hear it's not just me who slows way down in the mornings and in the dark!  I prefer running in the morning because it's much less of a hassle for me to wake up and run and shower and then be ready for the day than to try to fit it in later, although sometimes late afternoon works well too.  I do find it hard to do any kind of faster running in the morning.

I used to always run in the mornings, but I have found in order to keep PF and other assorted aches and pains at bay, that I require a long, walking warm-up, and a long walking cool-down.  So there's simply not enough time in the a.m. for me.   I'm off work by 3:30 and usually change there and run before I go home.  This time of year though, where it stays light for so long, I could also run after I got home if I wanted.

The most important thing is consistency. You should run whenever it works best for you so that you'll be consistent.

+1       also good to mix it up abit,  keeps things more interesting & helps you both  mentally & physically to run under different conditions.  This would also apply to what type of workout you are doing.  Mixing up your runs & when you run, just get out & be consistent day to day week to week,  etc.etc.

Trailwinds

I'm a later eve or night runner.  Anywhere from 8 or 9 on.  Occasionally I've gone out at 11; summer is a nice time for night runs...  That's partially because of my work schedule, but I'm also kinda stiff in the AMs.  Per the earlier comment: I would be slower in AMs too.  I do race, and since most races are in the AMs, I do take (what seems to me) a longer warmup than I think I should have to.

For eating, a later run means I have a decent snack/meal 2-3 hours before.  Then when I come in, I'll have liquids and another small snack.  Cereal, or half a can of soup, or an apple, fruit juice, or bowl of salad.  Depends on the length and intensity of the run, and what I feel like eating, if anything.  But I do feel better putting a little something into my stomach before bed.

I don't usually have a problem with the social schedule.  If I go out, I'll still sometimes run after.  If I know I'm going to run, I just eat very light, drink less alchohol, and give myself a couple of hours 'til I run.  Or I just show up to the event later, or skip altogether and say I've gotta get my workout in.  My buds understand and, honestly, I very much enjoy my workout(s).  Workouts are sort of like eating for me, I don't feel very good unless I do a little something.

Good luck with your evening running!