Thoughts on Brooks pure flows? (Read 863 times)

knbradley2822

Just looking for general thoughts on the shoe. Are they true to size? What kind of mileage are you getting? Any problems you've encountered? I'm coming from wearing the NB minimus road 10's and the kinvara 3's.

I have worn Flow for several marathons and I like it.  I think all of the Pure series can be slippery on wet pavement- so watch for that.  I get the same size I always wear in running shoes (a full size up from my dress shoes).  I think the Flow has better forefoot cushioning than many of the other Brooks shoes.  I never have any soreness with the Flow.  I just got the Flow 2, but I haven't worn it yet.  It is not a minimalist shoe and has plenty of cushioning, so you might find it to be more shoe than you are used to.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I just switched to them and love them.  My calves are sore since the marathon (mid-november) and the flows do have less of a heel drop, so that might also explain it.  That aside, they are fantastic shoes.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

I wore an 8 in Kinvara 2s.  I wear an 8.5 in Pure Flows. I like the Pure Flows better than the Kinvaras, but I generally only wear them for shorter distances. I wear Hokas for long distance running. 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Cassie- sorry for the hijack, but can you tell me more about the Hokas?  I'm intrigued. Which model do you wear?  They are expensive.  Do they hold up?

Ric-G

overall i like them very much. i have not run more than 13 in them. use a full size up from regular shoes. no idea how many miles i got out of them, sorry. i plan to purchase another pair soon if that helps any.

marathon pr - 3:16

Cassie- sorry for the hijack, but can you tell me more about the Hokas?  I'm intrigued. Which model do you wear?  They are expensive.  Do they hold up?

I have the Bondi Bs, Stinson Evos and Mafate 2. They do hold up well, and I really like them.

Here are my reviews for the first two:

http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2011/11/hoka-one-one-bondi-b-shoe-review.html

http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2012/05/hoka-one-one-stinson-evo-review.html

Just got the Mafate 2s so need more miles on them before reviewing.  So far, I like the other two better.

Thanks!  They look worth a try.

Coastal

My thoughts?

Near as I know Brooks doesn't make them in 14 EE.  I'd really like to try them. 

Oh, well.  It looks like New Balance is in my future.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have the Bondi Bs, Stinson Evos and Mafate 2. They do hold up well, and I really like them.

Here are my reviews for the first two:

http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2011/11/hoka-one-one-bondi-b-shoe-review.html

http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2012/05/hoka-one-one-stinson-evo-review.html

Just got the Mafate 2s so need more miles on them before reviewing.  So far, I like the other two better.

this is really interesting. I have been battling PF for over 13 mos and am wondering if this is worth a shot.

TRUST THE PROCESS

13 months is a long time. I'd say it is worth a shot. Also, have you gone to anyone who does Active Release Technique?

Back to the Brooks Pure Flow... I've heard that the Flow 2 are way different than the original so be careful.

Rusk Runner

The flow 2 are supposed to be changed in the upper to not get as hot and it looks like there will be less shifting of the tongue.  I run in flows exclusively and I will be buying a pair of the flow 2's very soon.  I will try to post more info on what they are like.  The originals have ample room in the toe box, seem to run true to size IMO, and the cushioning is great without making the shoe unresponsive.

I tried the cadence for a little more support and went right back to the flow after a couple of runs.  The cadence has good support under the arch, but it is much more narrow in the toe box and has so mcuh more lacing that it feels like it binds up the top of the foot.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

As per the norm on Brooks... I'd suggest going up a 1/2 size vs. your Saucony & New Balance.

---------

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Just bought a pair of Flow 2's, haven't taken them out for a run yet.  Trotting around the running store, they felt about the same as my current Flows underfoot - no surprise, since the sole is unchanged - and indeed more roomy in the toebox.  I'm currently on my second pair of Flow 1's, will go to these after that pair is finished.

In the store this past time, I "hemmed and hawed" over the Flow 2, Wave Rider 16, and Kinvara 3 for quite awhile (poor store rep) before settling on the Flow 2.  All three felt great, and would have worked fine for me, I think, but I've always liked the soft ride and low drop of the Flows.  I figure those others will start going on clearance sales in a few months (well, more than a few, but sooner than the Flow 2), and if I still have the bug to try something new, I'll go for it then.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people