Ibuprofen prevents the healing of stress fractures? (Read 3497 times)

Now that was a bath...

Now ever since my injury in January I have taken the maximum dose of ibuprofen every day (that's almost 8 months worth). Last week I stopped taking it after accidentally stumbling across some research online that said ibuprofen inhibits stress fracture healing by up to 20%. "Studies of healing and recovery after fractures all showed an adverse effect on bone healing, either delayed bone healing or an increased rate of non-union, by the administration of NSAIDs. The article concludes with the suggestion that people with healing fractures should avoid NSAIDs" Good research or internet hype? Is is November yet? Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm going to make certain Eryn sees this. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Possibly good reasearch. More studies are needed. If you can stand the pain, stay away from the drugs. That is a good rule for life anyway...

who knows...

I have seen some research along those lines as well. While I am by no means a medical expert, I read an article suggesting that ultramarathoners have a higher risk of kidney problems (such as failure) when taking ibuprofen during a run--something about the chemicals the muscle produces under duress and those that ibuprofen tries to inhibit. I wonder if there might be some connection to post-run healing here. Related to the general discussion, there is an interesting (albeit a tad laborious for the non-expert such as myself) published in the Journal of Applied Physiology. http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/86/2/598#SEC2
          "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Related to the general discussion, there is an interesting (albeit a tad laborious for the non-expert such as myself) published in the Journal of Applied Physiology. http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/86/2/598#SEC2
            understatement... Shocked

Roads were made for journeys...

Now that was a bath...

Trent, I am woman - I am strong. I took the darn things even when I wasn't in pain as I assumed that they were helping me heal! SprTb - my brain just imploded.
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                I'm going to make certain Eryn sees this. k
                Eryn saw! Smile Good thing I'm a "must be dead before medicating" sort of girl! Of course, now I've been given the official word that it is NOT stress fractures (though I already knew that). I'm being sent to the sports med doc to see what the cause is. This was my suggestion in the first place, but what do I know? Roll eyes Eryn
                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                  Welcome back, Eryn. Glad to hear it's not a stress fracture. Good luck with the sports doc.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Eryn!!! Good to see you - (((hugs))) and hope the sports med doc can find an answer for you - and so glad that you are not having a recurrence of your stress fractures. I was told that ibuprofen interferred with calcium absorbtion and that was why it was not a good idea. The other thought was that inflammation stimulates the laying down of new bone cells and if you blunt the inflammation response, then you could delay healing - but I never actually read any papers documenting those findings.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group