can i run a sub 5:00 mile 17 days post marathon and 4 days post HM? (Read 138 times)

joescott

apparently not.!    now it occurs to me that I should have posted this in stadjak's thread where it would be more appropriate.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

apparently not.!    now it occurs to me that I should have posted this in stadjak's thread where it would be more appropriate.

isn't sub 5 just a number?  

(just kidding!!)

joescott

isn't sub 5 just a number?  

(just kidding!!)

Completely arbitrary!

- Joe

Why is it sideways?

Completely arbitrary!

Ha ... yeah.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

More elusive than you'd think.

In marathons seconds seem so easy to improve on: these short races are a bit odd to think about; one second is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT for 400m, if not the mile.  Seven off is unfortunately a long way from the titular goal.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Well I'd take 5:05 17 days post marathon and 4 days post HM as a really, really good sign.

Also ... shit dude ... you ran a 1:18:55 two weeks after a marathon??

I'm doing this wrong.

Runners run

joescott

Well I'd take 5:05 17 days post marathon and 4 days post HM as a really, really good sign.

Also ... shit dude ... you ran a 1:18:55 two weeks after a marathon??

I'm doing this wrong.

Ha, thanks, Mike.  Appreciate it & I'm pretty sure you're not doing it wrong!  Semi-important note, though:  the half marathon course was definitely short by 35-45 seconds, so more honestly it was about a 1:19:30 or so.  Don't get me wrong, I was waaaay happy to have run that well less than 2 weeks post marathon, and I probably should be grateful for the 5:05 yesterday, but after the good marathon-HM it felt like a bit of a let down.  BUT, it's probably good to settle me down a bit and knock a little starch out of my cowlick.  A man needs a comeuppance now and again.

- Joe

If it is of any consolation...

I ran a marathon 4 days ago (Sunday) in what I thought was a somewhat respectable 3:13 (7:20) pace, and I struggled to put together 4.5 miles at 9:10 today!!!  And by struggled, I mean I was working harder than any of my 26.2!!!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

joescott

If it is of any consolation...

I ran a marathon 4 days ago (Sunday) in what I thought was a somewhat respectable 3:13 (7:20) pace, and I struggled to put together 4.5 miles at 9:10 today!!!  And by struggled, I mean I was working harder than any of my 26.2!!!

Yeah, Rick, I read you!  And nice race, by the way. 

- Joe