From Garmin to RA only using Linux (Read 48 times)

Garmin Connect and Garmin Express is only available to Mac and Windows, according to the Garmin website.

But a user in this forum claims that it is possible to upload from an older Garmin on a Linux system using USB to RA without problems.

Am I missing something here?

an amazing likeness

One minor update I'd make to your statement is to clarify that Garmin Connect is a web property -- not an application.

There is integration between RunningAhead and Garmin Connect such that a workout uploaded from a Garmin device to Garmin Connect will be integrated into your RunningAhead log. (this integration is optional, enabled by RA user as desired)

Garmin currently provides 2 methods of extracting the data from your Garmin device -- (1) Garmin Express (Windows & Mac) and (2) Garmin Mobile (iOS & Android).

Previously Garmin provided "Garmin Communicator"  -- a NPAPI browser plug-in which exported data from the device via USB or ANT, and offered sites like RunningAhead the ability to direct upload from the device via the browser plug-in. This solution is end-of-life and Garmin has officially ended this software.

Some Linux users have used the "Garmin Communicator" solution to upload in the past.  (see this message topic as an example).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Maybe the are just copying the files via USB and doing a manual import on the Garmin website.    You can do that from any OS that recognizes USB mass storage and has a browser.

Thanks. @milktruck - You are right, the Connect feature is a plugin. I've tried with Firefox or Chrome and both states that the plugin is not supported. I don't imagine it is supported by any other Linux browser.

You are also right that once a workout is uploaded it can be synchronised now into RA. But that isn't really relevant even if it is nice - although I suspect that is what he is talking about. He kinda fell silent when I asked about how he uploads into Linux (Hoban, if you read this just let me know where I'm mistaken and I'll corret myself).

@flatfooter, maybe - I don't think you can't just copy files. But if you can, you still need to convert them into a format readable by RA. That is what the garmintools package for Linux will do. It works fine but is a bit tedious, because it works from the command-line and you have to type out the filenames. For that reason I created a Python script with a GUI that makes things a lot easier, see the post here:

From Garmin to RA using Linux

an amazing likeness

...the Connect feature is a plugin. I've tried with Firefox or Chrome and both states that the plugin is not supported. I don't imagine it is supported by any other Linux browser.

For clarity, that is not correct.  Garmin Connect is a web site. Garmin Communicator is the defunct browser plug-in.

A google search of "linux upload to garmin connect" shows some options via 3rd party efforts.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

You are right again Smile but neither will work with Linux.

Yes, there are some efforts like garmintools, but I haven't seen any that are really as effortless for the user as I had hoped.

If you upload your files to Garmin connect via manual import and link your Garmin connect with RA it will import them automatically.  No need to convert anything.

I have yet to see a Garmin watch that Garmin connect will not accept files from using manual import.  Again, all this can be done on any OS that can read from USB mass storage and has a browser.

If you upload your files to Garmin connect via manual import and link your Garmin connect with RA it will import them automatically.  No need to convert anything.

I have yet to see a Garmin watch that Garmin connect will not accept files from using manual import.  Again, all this can be done on any OS that can read from USB mass storage and has a browser.

You cannot do so on all models. It is not possible to access the mass storage on a Garmin Forerunner 305. One of the most popular running watches at the time. This is why several 3rd party tools were developed.

The FR305 was released 10 years ago. I think most owners using Linux have given up and switched to Windows/Mac or purchased a newer model. With garmintools and my GUI it's not necessary to give up is all I say - uploading is really easy.