You might be a runner if ... (Read 737 times)

JakeKnight

Okay, so something unexpected came up. Not a good thing. A crappy family situation I might have to deal with. I may be going out of state for a while, with no notice whatsoever. It would turn my whole life upside down, and pretty much screw up the next couple of months. This sucks. Of course. Normal people would just drink heavily. Which I'm working on. ... but suppose you're a runner. What do you do in this situation? In fact, what was the second thing I did? (After the obligatory cursing, throwing things, and drinking ...) Your pop quiz question: what exactly did I do? What does someone with an unhealthy running problem do in this situation? What was the very first thing my addled brain latched onto? I'll grade your answers in the morning. I already know who will be first to answer. I even know that they'll guess right, too. I'm looking into a 12-step program in the morning. And not for the drinking. This just isn't normal.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

The first thing I did when I found out we had to go to a family reunion out of state in June was to get online and see if there were going to be any races in the area while we were there. Even before looking for a hotel or renting a car. Smile I know I have a problem. Tongue Teresa
      JakeKnight

The first thing I did when I found out we had to go to a family reunion out of state in June was to get online and see if there were going to be any races in the area while we were there.
        Right in one. Exactly. My first response to some unexpected (and unwanted) travel plans was to check marathonguide.com. This is not normal behavior.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Run. And drink. And search RA for maps of the area. And yes. I check marathonguide before I travel ANYWHERE. I will be in Cleveland for a wedding in three weeks. One smack week after the Cleveland marathon. I thought about calling my wife's friend to suggest she change the wedding date. Roll eyes
          JakeKnight

Run. And drink. And search RA for maps of the area. And yes. I check marathonguide before I travel ANYWHERE. I will be in Cleveland for a wedding in three weeks. One smack week after the Cleveland marathon. I thought about calling my wife's friend to suggest she change the wedding date. Roll eyes
            See? When your behavior starts to resemble Trent's .... there may be problems.

I'm going to visit my son in Chicago this weekend and thinking about bringing a bike along so he can ride with me while I do a long run on the Prairie Path. Sick.
              The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
              Scout7

Also check active.com (I know, they're evil, but it's a god way to at least find races). Heh.....Last year I went with my wife to some week-long work thing down in Austin. First, I started looking up running routes (Town Lake had a convenient running path), then I looked up any races (nothing worthwhile....WTF? Stupid Austin), then I looked up running stores (RunTex is cool). A whole week with nothing to do during the day....I ran and walked. Alot. It was fun. About the only thing I wished I had at the time was a Garmin to help track my distances a little better....... Monkeyman, I hope whatever's going on isn't too bad. But whatever it is, we're here for ya, and you can always run anywhere.
                JakeKnight

A Monkeyman, I hope whatever's going on isn't too bad. But whatever it is, we're here for ya, and you can always run anywhere.
                  Thanks, man. It sucks but I won't bore with details. This thread is hopefully my way to jinx part of it into not happening. But the silver lining ... is the potential running.

Scout7

Hey, if you get lucky and come up around the Philly area, I'll take you to some races, and probably a couple bars. Ok, maybe one race, and several bars.
                      Sorry about the family situation. Life happens & you'll deal with it. Traveling, though, I know what you mean. The family & I are going to Vegas & the Grand Canyon in August. We've got the plane tickets but, haven't yet booked a hotel room. Wouldn't you know I've already have an RA map plotted for a run up & down the Strip & a 5 miler plotted out in Williams, AZ. Drinks, as always, are optional but, recommended.

You'll ruin your knees!

Post potential location here to make sure you know the RA ambassadors in the destination area. Search for running clubs in said area to determine if there are any weekly evening or weekend group runs. Check running stores in destination area for similar information. Stop being so freakin' secretive about where so your RA buds can kick into gear and help out! Oh, and start packing all your running gear... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

mikeymike

Get a GPS. That way you don't need to know where you're going when you go out running.

Runners run

Jeffrey

No reason to feel bad about continuing what you enjoy ... running. I frequently look up events, running paths and build route maps prior to travel. Gives me something to look forward to while away from home. Smile
                            Jeffrey

That's a great idea. I brought my bike to Australia in 2005. While there I rode over 300k through the countryside. Definitely worth all the hassle and shipping-abuse to my bike. Smile
                              I'm going to visit my son in Chicago this weekend and thinking about bringing a bike along so he can ride with me while I do a long run on the Prairie Path. Sick.
                                I skipped this morning's big university commencement ceremony to go running. (Well, I didn't want to go to it anyway, having been through the more important ceremony on Thursday, but still!)