San Juan Solstice 50 mile (Read 964 times)

Wasatch Speedgoat

I truly am curious about it. I think it is absolutely amazing! To push yourself to the very edge like that and still keep on going. What is your first thought when you cross the finish line after such a race? Have you ever had second thoughts during a race?
    My first thought is to lie down Clowning around Yes, and i have stopped during many ultras. The races are so long that the chance of things going wrong multiplies a lot. Imagine if you have a foot problem during a 5K you just keep on going and deal with afterwards....in a marathon you might stop quickly to try to fix the problem...but at Hardrock where most of us are out there for 2 days and nights, you can and will have problems. Everyone does and you deal with it or stop. Hardrock is such a difficult race that I have only finished it once in 5 tries. Most of the time it has been altitude related and i hope I don't have those issues this year. Smile

Life is short, play hard!

My first thought is to lie down Clowning around Yes, and i have stopped during many ultras. The races are so long that the chance of things going wrong multiplies a lot. Imagine if you have a foot problem during a 5K you just keep on going and deal with afterwards....in a marathon you might stop quickly to try to fix the problem...but at Hardrock where most of us are out there for 2 days and nights, you can and will have problems. Everyone does and you deal with it or stop. Hardrock is such a difficult race that I have only finished it once in 5 tries. Most of the time it has been altitude related and i hope I don't have those issues this year. Smile
      I didn't think of it like that. I've had pains in the short races I do, and I did just that, kept going and dealt afterwards. In a longer race I can see where you'd have to be able to deal with it, or quit. Going back to a race 5 times and finishing once...wow, that once must have been amazingly rewarding!! The only way I can relate is a 5k race where I had walked part of it the first time I ran it, but the next time (a couple years later) I was determined to run straight through and I did...mini in comparison, but still the general idea. Set your goal and work hard to achieve it.

Michelle

Congrats on a well done run! Loved the pictures. Good luck on the Hardrock 100.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Wasatch Speedgoat

Here are some more pictures of the SJS50 taken by a friend who was just out there prepping for Hardrock also. http://picasaweb.google.com/SJS50.2007/SanJuanSolstice50Miler And if you are interested in seeing pictures from Hardrock... Here are some i took last year... http://picasaweb.google.com/ultrastevep/2006Hardrock And in this album are from all of the years...(this is my old album) http://community.webshots.com/user/ultrastevep Steve

Life is short, play hard!