Suggestion: a title column and personal bests. (Read 1237 times)

Tommy.E

Two suggestions for improvement of Running Ahead:

It would be great with a column on the workout page where you can write a title for your workout. For example, "5 * 1000 meters on a track" or "tough race in the mountains". It is not always necessary to set a new course for each new workout session.

Endomondo has a pretty cool feature for personal bests. Check here:

http://endomondo.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=40. 

Something similar would be great here at Running Ahead. I think it would work perfectly as widget on the summary page. The user could select a few distances that are of interest, such as 1K, cooper test, 5K, 10K, etc. It would be enough with personal record for the current year and a total over all years.

eric :)

TommyE,

I'll consider adding a title to workouts, although that's not how I envision the log.

As for the personal best, what's wrong with "Personal Record" aside from a different name?

Tommy.E

A title column could provide a better overview of the workouts. I run often just random route through town or around the woods and then it's easier to find a specific training session afterwards if you can enter a title. I think many users write "random" for that type of route. And that is probably not the purpose of how to use the "courses". Courses are great when you're running the same route, for example around the lake, but even then it's good to be able to enter an optional title of the workout.  A short title, maximum 30 characters, would be enough.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with personal records as it looks today. It is probably more of a cool feature if you automatically calculates the fastest 1K, 2K, etc in a workout. And in a widget, it would be quite fun to be able to see, for example, what time I had on my fastest 3 km. It could be between 1 and 4 km in a10 K race.

(I'm not used to expressing myself in English, but I hope that you can understand me anyway)

Since this is a feature request thread about PRs I'll throw in my idea.  I think it would be neat to see a PR progression chart or graph.  Something like click on my 5k line on the personal best page and it shows a chart or graph of all my past PRs and when I broke them.

For instance

5/18/09 -  19:09

9/05/09 - 19:02

4/23/10 - 18:47

10/4/10 - 18:36

Or even just a chronological listing of all my races at a certain distance, pr or not.

I guess my idea is to be able to see improvement over time at a certain distance.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Since this is a feature request thread about PRs I'll throw in my idea.  I think it would be neat to see a PR progression chart or graph.  Something like click on my 5k line on the personal best page and it shows a chart or graph of all my past PRs and when I broke them.

For instance

5/18/09 -  19:09

9/05/09 - 19:02

4/23/10 - 18:47

10/4/10 - 18:36

Or even just a chronological listing of all my races at a certain distance, pr or not.

I guess my idea is to be able to see improvement over time at a certain distance.

Exists.

Click on "Personal Records"

Click on a distance

Then sort by any header, such as Duration or Date.

A Saucy Wench

A title column could provide a better overview of the workouts. I run often just a random route through town or around the woods and then it's easier to find a specific training session afterwards if you can enter a title. I think many users write "random" for that type of route. And that is probably not the purpose of how to use the "courses". Courses are great when you're running the same route, for example around the lake, but even then it's good to be able to enter an optional title of the workout.  A short title, maximum 30 characters, would be enough.

How is a title different from course name? Especially in combination with workout type?  You dont have to link a map with the course or make a course specific

I have titles such as "neighborhood"  which I use for any random route in my neighborhood .  "stringtown ritchie variants" which applies to any of my country loops from 7 to 24 miles because to get to the country I use those roads as the primary feeders.  I think I have a "heights" or similar for the ass killing hilly neighborhood near mine even though I might run 4-12 miles there and sometimes I just run and sometimes I do hill repeaters but that is what workout type is for. etc.  Other than races I think I have about 5-6 "courses" that cover all the other running I do.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How is a title different from course name?..

Maybe b/c you don't title a course "5 * 1000 meters on a track"  ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Exists.

Click on "Personal Records"

Click on a distance

Then sort by any header, such as Duration or Date.

Thanks, had no idea that was there.  I wonder how many other things in life I'm missing because I have simply failed to click.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

A Saucy Wench

Maybe b/c you don't title a course "5 * 1000 meters on a track"  ?

I could if I wanted to.   Maybe I will.

And wouldn't that be covered by split name?

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Thanks, had no idea that was there.  I wonder how many other things in life I'm missing because I have simply failed to click.

Yeah, my 4 year old figured out the tv remote had the ability to turn caller ID on by pressing some magic button so I could decide whether to get my butt off the couch to answer the phone.  He has yet to explain it to me though.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I could if I wanted to.   Maybe I will.

I dare you Smile

And wouldn't that be covered by split name?

Well, if you're looking over the "Workouts" page view, you only see the workout titles -- which right now are course titles -- you don't get split info unless you drill into any particular one.  So I think allowing custom workout titles would allow the runner to surface (display) the info they consider of interest about their workout -- which may well be as OP suggests -- not the course, or the overall pace, but a descriptive summary of the workout.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cool as a Cucumber

I'll consider adding a title to workouts, although that's not how I envision the log.

The workout title would be great. I would love be able to scroll down my workout list and see where I went roughly even if I don't have a course set up (because it was a random route). I know I would title things like "Run with Matt around town" and "Run with Kelly through Pine Park". Right now it's just blank, and I have to click on the route and read the note to know what I did.

The pavement fears me.

A Saucy Wench

I dare you Smile

If I ever run at the track again I will.  Well probably not 5x1000, but something by 800.  or really more like something x 880 or whatever lane 4 works out to because they usually close lanes 1-3 to the public.