RA Status: Update 5 (Read 532 times)

eric :)

Update:

The data center has corrected the link performance problem.  The gps importer is now processing multiple workouts per second.  All queued workouts are projected to be completed within an hour.  I might still deploy the enhancement I'm working on.  It won't be as prominent, but should still provide a boost, regardless of the distance to the file server.

Hi all,

I was able to bring the two missing arrays back online, but one of them went offline shortly after.  Until it comes back up, the backup server will continue to store the workout data.  I have discovered the link between the two servers are less than stellar, which is causing the GPS import to take much longer than before, in the order of hours.  I have contacted the data center to fix the problem.

In the mean time, please only upload your data once.  Everything is queued and processed in a first in first out order.  Uploading the same workouts multiple times will only slow down the overall processing.  I am rewriting the processing code to compensate for the slow link until the data center can resolve the problem.  I expect the fix to be deployed in a couple of hours.  Thank you for your understanding.

eric Smile

Thanks, Eric.

When you say GPS import is taking a long time--is that hours? If I uploaded some workouts a few hours ago and still don't see them anywhere. Is that expected at this point? Will they show up eventually? I was going to manually enter those workouts, but if they are sitting on some server somewhere and will show up eventually then I'll just wait.

And would it help to not upload workouts for a while? I'm okay with letting a few days of workouts pile up on my watch and/or entering manually for a while if it would help.

Thanks for fighting the good fight. And sorry the data center tech made this a whole lot more stressful for you than it needed to be.

Runners run

I can't even get to the training log to download. I get a message that it is offline and it is dated Dec 22. It tells me to go out for a run. Which I do.

Thanks for all your hard work Eric. I know it most be more frustrating for you than it is for us.

anneb

Sorry I may have attempted to upload my run more than once about six hours ago. But I'm ok not being able to do that for now, too, if that'd help.

And would it help to not upload workouts for a while? I'm okay with letting a few days of workouts pile up on my watch and/or entering manually for a while if it would help.

Anne

Yes I did the same thing and uploaded several times I think when you had the server down.  I did just upload a file since you posted the new message.  So sorry... I am a tad bit confused on what I should be doing.

Scott

Thanks, Eric.

When you say GPS import is taking a long time--is that hours? If I uploaded some workouts a few hours ago and still don't see them anywhere. Is that expected at this point? Will they show up eventually? I was going to manually enter those workouts, but if they are sitting on some server somewhere and will show up eventually then I'll just wait.

Thanks for fighting the good fight. And sorry the data center tech made this a whole lot more stressful for you than it needed to be.

I've updated my original post to say it'll take multiple hours.  There are some 20,000 workouts queued up and the importer is processing slightly faster than the workouts are coming in.  I suspect many of these workouts are duplicate uploads, which compounds the problem.  If you have new workouts, please do upload them.  The importer will get to them eventually.

The importer was designed with the expectation that the data is one hop away, in the same network.  The backup file server is in another building.  With a slow link between the two servers, it takes much longer to correct the elevation data.  I am rewriting the importer code to compensate for the slow link, and I expect the improvement to increase performance by several folds.

I can't even get to the training log to download. I get a message that it is offline and it is dated Dec 22. It tells me to go out for a run. Which I do.

meepmeep,

I don't know why you're seeing this message, which applies to the entire site.  Since you can post to the forums, then everything should be working, at least on the surface.  Could you try forcing a reload to see if it's cached by your browser?

eric Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

I also uploaded a run this morning (or thought I was trying to) 3 times.  After the runs were importing normally the last 2 days, I kept trying because I assumed I had done something wrong on my end.

Thanks for all the time you put in.  It makes me even happier about upgrading to the ads free experience a couple months back.  You've earned far more money than you've asked for.  If every business were as committed to giving more value than they charge for, this would be a happier planet. I'll be happily renewing when it's time to.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1 meeellion.  Please don't sacrifice your entire weekend on this.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bhearn

After my workouts were uploaded, maybe half an hour later I got a message that they were done processing and ready. But I still don't see them anywhere. Is this expected; they're still in some late-processing stage?

LRB

Oops.  ; )

an amazing likeness

At this time in the recovery process, should we be able to see maps of gps workouts uploaded before the site updates were started?

I am receiving the following on selecting the Map tab in workouts:

Fatal Error

An unexpected error occurred while processing your request.  If this problem persists, please contact me

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

meepmeep,

I don't know why you're seeing this message, which applies to the entire site.  Since you can post to the forums, then everything should be working, at least on the surface.  Could you try forcing a reload to see if it's cached by your browser?

eric Smile

My son, who is my live in tech support got me to the training log. Thanks.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, Eric!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

At this time in the recovery process, should we be able to see maps of gps workouts uploaded before the site updates were started?

I am receiving the following on selecting the Map tab in workouts:

Fatal Error

An unexpected error occurred while processing your request.  If this problem persists, please contact me

It depends.  I have not restored workouts updated after June 16 so you will receive this error because it's trying to access a file that doesn't exist.  Any workout before June 16 should be fine.