Fueling differences bewteen cylcing and running (Read 1291 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I'm a beginning runner, so that may be a factor - but I can't eat anything before I run. Cycling on the other hand - - - bring on the food. Last summer we did a 245 mile 5 day bike trip in 90+ degree weather and high humidity. I could eat anything I wanted with no problem. Actually my issue was dehydration in spite of the fact that I downed about 140 oz of water each day. I started salting food that was already salty to help out. This year I will carry powdered gatorade (we were on back roads, so rarely saw places to buy gatorade) and may take some salt tablets along.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I'm riding 105 in Death Valley this fall - did it in 2006, too. You wouldn't believe the salt crust on people at the end of the day. did

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I had that the first day of the ride last year - looked like I had rolled in the sand by lunchtime and my skin was getting cold - not a good sign. That's when I started using lots of salt.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm riding 105 in Death Valley this fall - did it in 2006, too. You wouldn't believe the salt crust on people at the end of the day. did
          Someday I have to ride that...I'm a salt-lick after a 10 miler in the Summer. I can only imagine what a crusty mess I'd be after that insanity. I wanna do it just for the gross-out factor. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

I had that the first day of the ride last year - looked like I had rolled in the sand by lunchtime and my skin was getting cold - not a good sign. That's when I started using lots of salt.
            I always used salt tabs on rides, especially in south Texas during the summer. Used them during long triathlons too.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

please excuse my ignorance, but where do you find salt tablets? Any special kind to use?

The Greatest of All Time

please excuse my ignorance, but where do you find salt tablets? Any special kind to use?
                I "think" I had the pharmacist at Walgreens order mine. But there are some out there called "S Caps" that have sodium and potassium in them. http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html I can't vouch for them, but they look solid to me.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Thanks for the info.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I think they gave us these in Death Valley - they were practically cramming them down our throats! Check out the salt rings: (That ain't me, btw.) did