Swimming (Read 2098 times)

uncontrollable

I recommend that all runners who are able to swim to use swimming as their cross training. You can keep swimming until you are very old, but running is difficult. Take your time and be patient with improving your swim. Swimming is the BEST! Triathlons are a blast. Good luck!
    I agree. In checking out your profile (great pic by the way) I am curious if this is the "1/2 your life" you're living in Japan or was that before? How was is that you lived there so long? Work? And I would LOVE to hear about the marathon - it is a dream of mine to get back to Japan to do it! Thanks, Kelly Smile

peace

I miss swimming. I swam as a kid/teenager. As an adult, every time I join a gym with a pool, or the YMCA, it's a nightmare...A total army of old people. I'm not the fastest swimmer, but can't stand having some old dude doing the sidestroke in my lane. I would swim everyday if I had a free lane.... How do yo guys do it?

- Anya

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

I miss swimming. I swam as a kid/teenager. As an adult, every time I join a gym with a pool, or the YMCA, it's a nightmare...A total army of old people. I'm not the fastest swimmer, but can't stand having some old dude doing the sidestroke in my lane. I would swim everyday if I had a free lane.... How do yo guys do it?
        You may need to try a different pool, but I would try checking out the pool at some different times of the day. Not to stereo-type, but generally older folks have routines they stick to and you can use this to your advantage. 1) Try swimming early AM or in the after dinner hours. 2) Get one or two swim partners: stake-out a lane together or start swimming near each other. As soon as the older person is ready to get out of one of your lanes switch into your partner's lane. 3) Ask the pool manager to set aside a lane for slower and faster swimming when it gets crowded. There are other options that I don't endorse: The butterfly stroke every other length is good cardio training and could clear your lane eventually due to the splashing. I hesitate to mention the visual effects of ecessive vitamin b in your system while you're standing in the shallow end.
        Find the fun.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A couple days ago I was curious how fast/slow I swim, so I just did 1600m straight free -- in a 25m pool, flip-turning about half the time (and just turning & pushing off the other half). I discovered that I don't get quite enough oxygen when I'm flip-turning at the end. I normally breathe same side every other time -- so one stroke in four -- and it's ok thru the lap, but if I flip turn, depending when I flip, I wind up short of air going into the next lap, and it's hard to make it up -- and there is less than 25m to recover from the oxygen debt before it recurs at the other end Smile (Took 30min to finish the 1600. I suspect that might be a lot faster than I would go in open water tho, with no flip turns or pushing off side, and with waves, and with probably having to correct my direction, and whatnot.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Carl A

I discovered that I don't get quite enough oxygen when I'm flip-turning at the end.
            I have that same problem, too, especially during the harder middle parts of workouts. What I've been doing when I'm short on air is breathe on an off-stroke. Normally I breathe every 3 strokes, but if I'm starting to get that annoying low-O2 gag reflex, I'll take a 2- or even 1-stroke breath before or after the flip-turn. Not sure if this is competitively correct, but it seems to work OK.
            I suspect that might be a lot faster than I would go in open water tho, with no flip turns or pushing off side, and with waves, and with probably having to correct my direction, and whatnot.)
            I am definitely faster in a pool than I was in the ocean last week, but I might have been able to keep up a better pace farther out from the surf line. However, I didn't want to make my family too nervous!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Should I feel like I'm just getting enough oxygen when I'm swimming? I mean, not doing 100 intervals so much, but if I'm going further? I was thinking that if oxygen is the limiting factor to speed, then it would make sense that my limit is going just as fast as I barely am getting enough oxygen for, so that feeling should be expected?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I just started swimming today Smile I LOVE it!! I don't remember ever "really" swimming. Goofing around when I was a kid but never laps. Felt alot like the first time I ran...awkward with my breathing and pace. I managed 1 length without stopping and really working on my form. It was hard, I was out of breath at the end but can see how I will improve with regular practice. What a great compliment to running (and nagging little tendon issues). Can't wait to try a Tri! Big grin
                  I've been swimming more lately ... it's definitely the only thing that is keeping me from losing fitness while I can't run. I swim at a local rec center...the only problem with this is that often I am the *only* one in the pool and the guards sit there and watch. I just want to pop my head out of the water and say, "I know I suck! I'm a runner NOT a swimmer! Roll eyes "

Jennifer mm#1231

I swim at a local rec center...the only problem with this is that often I am the *only* one in the pool and the guards sit there and watch. I just want to pop my head out of the water and say, "I know I suck! I'm a runner NOT a swimmer! Roll eyes "
                    hee hee! I do this, too.
                      "I know I suck! I'm a runner NOT a swimmer! Roll eyes "
                      Funny. I have this thought about when I play soccer. Smile

Michelle