stuck :( (Read 243 times)

maddyruns

I started running in the beginning of september, felt soooo amazing with that runners high after every run  looked forward to each run, and my endurance was increasing.

At the beginning of october i was able to run a 23:54 5k, (not a race, but myself around my neighborhood) which boosted my confidence. I could maintain a 7:45 pace for 2 miles, and run those miles non stop.

However, this past week, my running is struggling hard core. Having difficulty running the whole time, having to talk several walk breaks on only a 3 mile run. I've also been finding myself low on energy throughout the rest of the day too. Yesterday, i was only able to do 2 miles at an 8:46 pace which felt lie HELL. didn't wanna go out to begin with which was abnormal, and didn't even feel that great afterwards cause i was disspointed with the pace/mileage/effort it took compared to previous weeks..

I've also been finding myself comparing my running to other runners. I keep forgetting that i just started running not too long ago, so 3 miles is difficult for me, yet i see all these runners running 10 miles at 7:30 pace! Definitely verrrrry hard on my self

After yesterdays run, when i woke up this morning my legs felt like 1000 lb blocks of cement. My lower back was aching and i have had no energy all day. MY whole body is just so sore and i don't know what to do  figured i shouldn't run today, although i do kinda feel guilty for skipping out on my training (i want to do winter track which starts in 1 month, and i don't think ill be ready)

i just don't know where to go from here! Could it be that i'm not eating enough?? or what should i do? I want to be able to enjoy running again and not be getting slower/not being able to run as far!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I think all runners go through good times and rough times. It could be a lot of things.

Tell us this: how many days a week are you running, how far are you running per week, are you running hard all the time or could you talk while running sometimes?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Feeling the growl again

It is hard to say from limited information, but odds are that you are pushing yourself too hard on runs.  Forget pace.  Run by effort...most runs easy with only 1-2 real workouts per week.  Do NOT check your pace during the easier runs, and keep it at a very comfortable pace where you could (or do) hold a conversation.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mmmmm...beer

I'm with spaniel, sounds like you might be doing your runs too hard/fast.  Slow down and enjoy them.  It sounds crazy, but you can get faster by running slower (for most of your runs).  Running slower will allow you to run longer, which will increase your endurance and in turn, your speed.  FWIW, I run low 19 min 5Ks and most of my runs are slower than 8min pace.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

BeeRunB

A heart rate monitor and heart rate training is a great way for a beginner to learn how fast to run in training. The idea is to get faster at the same heart rate or effort, not run the same slow pace all the time. I bet if we put a heart rate monitor on you that you'd be running at very high heart rates or efforts during every run and you're becoming overtrained. Let's say you had a maximum heart rate of  200 beats per minute, you probably should be running 95-100% of the time (for awhile) at around 65-75% of that or 130-150 bpm or so. A heart rate that keeps you mostly aerobic and burning more fat than sugar. More slow twitch muscle fibers (endurance) in the mix than fast twitch. This will keep you fresher and less likely to become overtrained and injured. Then all you worry about is keeping within a certain heart rate zone, and over time you'll get faster and faster at the same heart rate. When you've built up your endurance---running longer and faster at the same aerobic heart rates—add in some speed work. Your beginner body will be ready for it then.  Research the subject. There are plenty of links to info out there on Google. Research: heart rate training, long slow distance, building endurance, training load, tempo runs, and the importance of rest and recovery. Good luck. 

However, this past week, my running is struggling hard core. Having difficulty running the whole time, having to talk several walk breaks on only a 3 mile run. I've also been finding myself low on energy throughout the rest of the day too. 

Classic signs of overtraining.  Take a week off, then start back real easy.  A good every day training pace is 2 to 3 minutes per mile slower than your 5K race pace.

All great advice.  Definitely sounds like overtraining and burnout.  Throw in some cross training and yoga.  And definitely do not compare yourself to other runners.  No 2 runners are ever alike.  Ages, body type, length of running, body fat, so many other variables make us all different runners.  If you're able to run an 8:45 pace after only running a few months that's amazing, but I agree that you're likely pushing yourself and not enjoying it.  Compare yourself to yourself and no one else.  Get in your heart rate zone and track your progress and you'll see natural improvements.

Whatever you do don't give up!

hectortrojan

You got great advice. I echo with what others have said. Take a week of and then ease back into running.

It is not a good idea to run fast on all your runs if you are doing that. Ideally most runs should be at an effort that you are able to hold conversation.

I would not do even a single fast run if I started running last month. Just run at the pace at which you feel comfortable with. Increase your weekly mileage very slowly.  I know it is hard to do. Most of us have been there. When I started running, I was training for a 10k. I think I was running 3 times a week;  2 of them were at fast pace and one long run. It was stupid thing to do, I was starting out and did not know any better.

JanaLamb

I agree with JRMichler, it's very likely that you are overtraining and you're too hard on yourself. Slow down and do things more gradually. You'll eventually get to your goal without harming yourself.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

pedaling fool

I agree with others that this is most likely a case of over-training/burn out. No big deal, that's why cross-training was invented. Just take some time off, but whatever you do, don't do nothing. I ride a bike, but it's also my main form of transportation (has been for over 25 years), but I also hike and do other things.

However, my fitness base is weightlifting. Weightlifting is crucial, not only to improving performance, but also in injury prevention. Don't fall for the myth that just because you're a runner (and/or cyclist) that you don't need to strength train your lower body. Absolutely false. Some interesting links

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-okay-if-I-skip-my-legs-workout-if-I-run-3-days-a-week-for-60-mins

http://howdoirunfaster.com/speed-drills/powerful-leg-workouts-to-run-faster/

http://www.devingrayfitness.com/esf-no-running-is-not-the-same-as-training-legs/

BeeRunB

Training load includes all exercise with mental stress included. Overtraining is result of too much load for too long. Usually due to bad recovery practices, or exercise/running obsession. Abnormally high mental stress adds to the total hormonal load and can sometimes be the straw that breaks the runner's back. Sometimes coming back from overtraining requires getting away from most exercise, including cross-training and weights. If mental stress is the culprit, and it can't be lowered at present, then exercise still needs to be cut back. How much depends on what level  of OT you've reached. There are three stages. The worst stages require a break. Sometimes a long one. Good luck. Hope you come back quickly.

I agree with others that this is most likely a case of over-training/burn out. No big deal, that's why cross-training was invented. Just take some time off, but whatever you do, don't do nothing. I ride a bike, but it's also my main form of transportation (has been for over 25 years), but I also hike and do other things.

However, my fitness base is weightlifting. Weightlifting is crucial, not only to improving performance, but also in injury prevention. Don't fall for the myth that just because you're a runner (and/or cyclist) that you don't need to strength train your lower body. Absolutely false. Some interesting links

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-okay-if-I-skip-my-legs-workout-if-I-run-3-days-a-week-for-60-mins

http://howdoirunfaster.com/speed-drills/powerful-leg-workouts-to-run-faster/

http://www.devingrayfitness.com/esf-no-running-is-not-the-same-as-training-legs/

All About that Pace 2024

Just to be safe, check your iron levels/blood work.