Ow...I hurt! (Read 1442 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yesterday I did a new (well, it's actually nearly a decade old) strength workout for the first time, Cathe Friedrich's "Maximum Intensity Strength." I have MAJOR DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) this morning--mostly my upper body. I have been doing her "Muscle Max" DVD for several months and seeing good progress and increasingly defined muscle tone, but it no longer hurt the next day. I've done some of her other workouts, too, and found them to be not as challenging. Someone recommended MIS for a killer workout, so I found a used DVD on eBay for a good price and grabbed it. Ugh, ow! I think if I keep alternating MM and MIS ea. 1x/week that by Summer I will look like "Pam Lite." Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No pain, no gain Wink So how do you deal with soreness and running. I've been having problems with that. Maybe I am just a wimp. Ewa
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No pain, no gain Wink So how do you deal with soreness and running. I've been having problems with that. Maybe I am just a wimp. Ewa
        I don't know, yet, LOL! Unfortunately my son's school schedule means doing my hardest/longest weight workout the day before my longest run. I'm thinking I'll actually feel less sore after the run, though. That usually loosens up sore muscles from my weight days. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

That usually loosens up sore muscles from my weight days.
          Hard running workouts are a bad idea when your legs are sore. You might get injured or at have your soreness recovery delayed - however for mild soreness running might be ok (biking usually is fine, but I still wouldn't do it if my legs were jelly). Don't get overstressed Smile
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hard running workouts are a bad idea when your legs are sore. You might get injured or at have your soreness recovery delayed - however for mild soreness running might be ok (biking usually is fine, but I still wouldn't do it if my legs were jelly). Don't get overstressed Smile
            True...if my legs were the sore part. I will get sore inner thighs from pliƩ squats, but it's rare that the rest of my legs ever hurt. It's my arms and upper back that were grumpy with me yesterday. I'm doing the weight workouts in large part to get my upper body as fit as my lower half. Right now I'm still lookin' like a T-Rex.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

walt

I've been running more lately, but a couple weekends ago, I ran with my brother (who is much faster than me) and really pushed myself. Since then, the muscle between my calf and heel (not Achilles) has been really sore, and even has some sharp pains sometimes throughout the day. Anyone have any idea what this might be? I've tried stretching it out extra, but that only seems to give very temporary relief.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Walt, does this help narrow it down any? I will occasionally get sore calves, but it's almost always from just doing too much. Maybe take a rest day and then ease back into things carefully--avoiding hills/speedwork. k

~ Sarah Kay

jcasetnl

I used to do weights pretty seriously back in high school and still cross train with them. The biggest factors in reducing DOMS for me was: 1) Plenty of protein. For a full-time weights person, they recommend 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. Price/performance-wise, you can't beat a whey-based supplement. I use EAS 100% Whey. It's hard to find in stores but can be ordered on the net for about $35. 2) Plenty of water. 3) Enough sleep.