progress (Read 2000 times)

JoggingPanda

Ran my usual 3/4 of a mile today. I am progressing a lot better then I thought I would When I started jogging I went about 2 telephone poles farther then I did on monday. Plus, I only walked about two telephone poles down from 4 ( I think 4) monday. I had a blast running today we had a huge electrical/thunderstorm while I was running I loved it.

yep,  you are hooked!  you will be in full addiction mode soon if not already.  some people try it once & are immediately addicted, some a few times here & there & never get addicted. not sure why even with all the research done.  I guess some people because of genetics/lifestyle  have a predisposition.  Do you have a parent or parents who have struggled with this running addiction thing?   stick to RA for semi-professional counseling & advice & your addiction & recovery will be much easier to handle.  open 24/7 & free except for a small voluntary donation

JoggingPanda

Skyedog my mother actually told me just the other day she used to run 5 or 6 miles everday. It was before she got married but, she said she loved it. Now that you asked that there are all kinds of runners and cyclers on my mothers side of the family. Yeah I was looking forward to that run since mondays run was over. Im going to keep pluggin away at it, thats for sure.

Good to hear, JP. Keep it up!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Keep up the good work.  It is nice to watch people like you fall in love with the sport.  Some of us have logged so many miles we often forget where we came from.  Not that you ever want to be me but you sound a lot like me 7 years ago. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
            • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
            • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
            JoggingPanda

Would have been nice to have gotten into it when I was in school. Even better now though that I am 28 and can enjoy it at my own pace.

joggingPanda,   research shows that when you have 1 or more parents the chances of you having this addictive (and progressive) disease called running are greatly increased.   first its a 1/2 mile & 4 telephone poles, then 3/4 & 2 poles & then 1 mile & no poles & then ??  soon you will be waking up before light & out the door in rain, snow, hail, subfreezing temps.   your behavior will start to change & you will hanging out with all sorts of questionable characters wearing all sorts of questionable clothes, your diet will change & soon this addiction will be a 24/7 thing where all your time, energy, & senses will be geared to get your running fix. You & your so called new "friends" will waste valuable time discussing things like fartleks, tempo, yasso 800's & even LSD. The fact that you actually enjoyed running during  an electrical storm tells me that you may bypass the "experimentation" stage & move straight into a full blown addiction.  your family & close friends will try to help you by discouraging this unhealthy addiction & tell you that you will ruin your knees.  They may try to take away your car keys, cell phones & credit cards so you are not able to buy those 3rd or 4th pair of shoes or the latest tech shirt that is breathable & 50% sun protection.  soon after you will start to stash your shoes & gu & lie about the fact it took you an hour to bring the morning paper into the house. and then, then you will be researching road trips to exotic places like Mazama, Wa, or Missoula Mt just to run up & down mtns for 10, 20, 50 miles or even running across Badwater.  I guess there is always hope until, or at least from what may others here on RA have said, you do a thing called the Monkey.

ok sorry I got alittle carried away, just at a heightened state of awareness because I just got from my daily "fix", er I mean run, but wanted to warn you because of my own or fellow RA'ers experiences.  ha, just having abit of fun & wasting time.

JoggingPanda

Have already heard plenty about ruining my knees and every other joint in my body. haha

JoggingPanda

I did the same route today, from the blinking lights to my house. I went about 2 or 3 telephone poles farther before I had to stop this time. But, I still ended up walking 2 telephone pole lengths through out the .75 mile run. I am extremely happy that each time I run it I go farther in the begining, but that 2 telephone pole rest is getting old. I'll be patient though. I kind of let myself down the last couple telephone lengths to the finish my form stunk. I was so tired I reverted back to my joggingpanda form.

Over the weekend I did some fartleks, or interval training if you want to call it that. I walked 1.5 miles and on the way back I walked 2 telephone poles then ran 1 with the best form I had, at more then a jog and less then a sprint 1.5 miles back home.

On Sunday I went to my high school track and tried to run one lap around the 1/4 mile track as fast as I could for time. I started out to fast and into the last turn walked about ten steps got done at 2minutes and 3 seconds. I really thought I would do better then that, but now I know where I am at I can build off it. Then I walked a mile and ran another lap not timed just to run a half mile altogether that day.

Nice work man, always cool to hear others improving and starting to enjoy running! Keep up the good work.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

JoggingPanda

I am really enjoying the challenge Lmaster. I am used to being good at stuff with just a little effort not running though. I like how I dictate my pace and I compete against myself, so I am always a winner and always a loser. A winner in that I am achieving more everytime and a loser in that I will always have the capability of being better then I currently am.

ANYONE READING THE BOTTOM PARAGRAPH PLEASE LET ME KNOW, IF WHAT I FELT WAS b.s. OR IF IT IS A COMMON THING

Today I sort of had a zen moment when I first started running. My running speed and breathing were in rythm. I was going just the right speed that my lungs could keep up, I usually start out way to fast. Today though my breathing was in a rythm almost like a chant in cadence with my footfalls. Then I hit a hill and I think I lost the focus and instantly could not get enough air. But for a second I think I achieved running zen, I think if I want to run long distances I will have to learn how to achieve that feeling everytime. Or I could have been so dehydrated and hot I imagined it all.

keeponrunning

Congrats, glad to hear about your progress!

No, you didn't imagine the zen thing.  I have had it happen, ironically for me it is always in the worst weather when I have to overcome a lot just to get out the door.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

JoggingPanda

Ok first off what I thought was .75 miles is actually barely .60 miles that was kind of disappointing, but oh well I can live with it. I took thur. and fri. off thursday due to last day off school no more having to drive bus, I also reevaluated my diet thursday night. I came to the conclusion that while the Atkins diet may be good for losing weight it probably was not optimal for running. My goal is to run a 5k not to lose a certain amount of weight, so I have altered my diet to be more about eating healthier carbs, lean proteins and low fat. My thought is, that if I eat responsibly  and I keep running farther my weight will drop to where it needs to be. I was going to run friday but one of the guys i applied to summer help with called and had me working with him all day, I was so rushed to get out the door I put some crappy shoes on and then walked in them all day by the time we were done my feet were so sore I could not stand walking on them, so I did not run.

Saturday; I ran my usual today, and I amazed myself. I ran well over half the distance in my first attempt walked less then one telephone length then ran the rest of the way. By far the best I have done. My recovery was great, and my energy was a lot better. I really credit it to the diet change. I was amazed at my recovery time after i got done running, it was super short. Usually after I run I am not right for an hour or so, today it took about 15 minutes for me to feel normal. Only complaint was that it is so hot and humid I did not quit sweating after my run, for a few hours.

Went for a 2 Am run,was wide awake and had nothing better to do. I decided to run the same I did today with one all out go for it then where ever I stopped I would walk the rest of the way home. I made it a little farther then I did earlier today. I love running so late at night. It felt like I was the only one alive. It was quite a rush being as I live in the country, and there have recently been mountain lion sightings. As I was walking to the flashing lights I kept thinking to myself, this is straight out of a scary movie, am I the victim or the monster.

BeeRunB

Ran my usual 3/4 of a mile today. I am progressing a lot better then I thought I would When I started jogging I went about 2 telephone poles farther then I did on monday. Plus, I only walked about two telephone poles down from 4 ( I think 4) monday. I had a blast running today we had a huge electrical/thunderstorm while I was running I loved it.

Congrats. Awesome progress.

It won't be long before you are writing "Ran my usual 5 miles today. I had a blast, as we had a huge category 5 hurricane while I was running. I loved it!"

Keep going! Cool

--Jimmy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

there have recently been mountain lion sightings. As I was walking to the flashing lights I kept thinking to myself, this is straight out of a scary movie, am I the victim or the monster.

Night, mountain lions and running do not mix well in my world. Shocked Congrats. Stay safe.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/