The "I should have stayed on the couch" run (Read 917 times)

Agony of Da Feet (#2867)

I have no doubt that cycling will be in my future...in the next year or so, at least. My legs were made for bikin'. Unfortunately it's a much more $$ sport to break into. And I would miss being able to participate in frequent races the way I can with running. k
    I meant more as a cross training type of exercise to get the motivation back up, but that works too! You can find a used bike at a tag sale for $25-$100, and another $30-$100 at your local bike shop will get it fixed up for you. I recommend getting a helmet and sunglasses as well, but those are the biggest expenses to really getting started.

Run to Win
    24 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

(wow, been a while since that's been updated...)

Needs more cowbell!

I meant more as a cross training type of exercise to get the motivation back up, but that works too! You can find a used bike at a tag sale for $25-$100, and another $30-$100 at your local bike shop will get it fixed up for you. I recommend getting a helmet and sunglasses as well, but those are the biggest expenses to really getting started.
      Heh, a lot of what a bike shop would do to tune a bike for me can be done in my garage by my hubby (did/diddidit). He's a bit of a bike tools whore and does most of the maintenance on his own "baby" Specialized Roubaix Pro ("Ruby"...the other woman). Already have the helmet, clipless pedals, shoes... Unfortunately my bike is a clunky old mountain bike and I don't care for trail riding at all. Someday a real road bike would be nice, especially once our son (6.5) is old enough for his own road bike and we can go out as a family. I'd need a new saddle, too. The one I have almost instantly makes areas that I'd rather not have numb go completely so. Ouchie. k

'16 Goals:

• Do some dus...and some CX...and some tandem gravel...and some podiums...

• PRs

• 130#s (or less)

• Stop letting my core go to hell

Agony of Da Feet (#2867)

Heh, a lot of what a bike shop would do to tune a bike for me can be done in my garage by my hubby (did/diddidit). He's a bit of a bike tools whore and does most of the maintenance on his own "baby" Specialized Roubaix Pro ("Ruby"...the other woman). Already have the helmet, clipless pedals, shoes... Unfortunately my bike is a clunky old mountain bike and I don't care for trail riding at all. Someday a real road bike would be nice, especially once our son (6.5) is old enough for his own road bike and we can go out as a family. I'd need a new saddle, too. The one I have almost instantly makes areas that I'd rather not have numb go completely so. Ouchie. k
        Yeah, just start cruising yard sales, or throw up a wanted ad on craig's list, or if you have something like Uncle Henry's put a wanted ad in there (it's a local classified magazine that gets published around here every week). Tell your friends that you are looking for a cheap bike; maybe they have one in their basement or garage that they never use. Right now, I have two bikes. I gave my mountain bike back to my brother when he bought a house a few years ago thinking that maybe he'd actually use it and that I had no room to store it. I also have a motobecane I bought at a tag sale a few years ago that is an old junker touring bike, and I have a hybrid that I bought new and have just kept in good shape for the past 12 years or so.

Run to Win
        24 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

(wow, been a while since that's been updated...)

Well I'm trying to stay in some kind of a schedule since I'm just getting back into training and it is STORMING here off and on all day. Good thing I have a bike and a trainer set up in the living room. Big grin
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
          jcasetnl

Somebody beat me to, but yeah, cross training might be the thing. One thing I do is walk stairs when I don't feel like running. It's strangely relaxing. There's a place near where I live called the cascades and its about 130 stairs. I just walk them over and over, usually two at a time, and listen to the mp3 player. Sometimes I'll throw in a set of sit ups or pushups at the benches at the bottom. Since it's walking I don't even think things like "wow I'm running so slow today" or "my pace is so off today".