broken wrist (Read 133 times)

ginnyb

Fell while running last week and broke my wrist.  Had surgery last Friday, Dr. put in a plate.  I am not in a cast, just a brace.  Of course I am registered for 3 half marathons this Fall.  Dr. said I can run, but now I am so afraid of falling again.  Anyone else experience this?

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

spinach

I broke my wrist when I fell in a race about ten years ago.  The race had a right angle turn about 50 meters from the start and there was sand on the corner and down I went.  I didn't need surgery but I wore a brace for a month or two.  I never worried about falling again when I ran afterwards. The biggest problem I had was after a couple races they had water bottles with screw tops that I could not remove.  The brace never seemed to affect my running stride.  I also had a shoulder surgery that required an arm immobilizer.  That did have a big effect on my stride and I would say you should be real careful if the injury causes you to change your normal running stride.  Take care of yourself and heal soon.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Busted my wrist in 2 places while mountain biking nearly 2 years ago...and haven't really done any trail riding ever since.  In part because my wrist and hand are still not 100% strong and my ROM still sucks (on my dominant/writing hand, too), but also because I can't embrace the thought of losing months in a cast and brace, again.  There's never a period when that sort of injury wouldn't totally derail my training all over again.  Kinda kills me, since all of my friends mountain-bike and a big part of me wants to ride in the woods, again.  For now I'm happy to run trails.  I badly sprained my ankle doing that years ago and it took a good 2 years for it to be fully healed, but I've been able to finally forget how much that injury sucked.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Village people

No advice, I just wanted to say that I hope you heal quickly.

Member Since 2008

I had reconstructive surgery on my hand.  I had pins sticking out and was running normally two days after the surgery.  It never effected my running and I never fell down.

Had a plate/screws put in about a year ago after a bad wrist break. Dr. was not concerned about running at all, but it took me a couple of weeks to get out. The jarring was a bit painful at first, but it didn't last too long. The worst part was sweating with the brace on, which was only an annoyance.

My PT whined for a few months because she insisted I was going to fall and re-injure it, but I only took a few weeks off post surgery in total.