Help I've got shin splints! (Read 605 times)

freckles

I am gutted! Went out easy run tonight and could feel shin splints starting, especially on my left leg. I have had them before but usually only from running down hill! The worst thing is my half marathon is in 5 days! And I have raised over £2500 for it so I have to do it!!!!! (even if I crawl round!) SHould I just rest up before then and hope it will be ok? Or carry on training? (All i Have left to do is 2x 40 minute runs.) As I say it is just starting off so not in anyway fully developed so I'm hoping if I rest ice and ibuprofen I could get away with it. What do you think wise people? P.S I ran on the beach at the weekend, do you think that could be the cause? It was my first time running on sand and I did 2 runs of 4 and 5.5 miles.

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Along for the Ride

I would scrap the remaining training runs and RICE. The 2 40 min runs will not do anything major to increase your readiness for the race. the potential damage on the shin splint issue would be worse, IMO. As far at what caused it ... maybe the run on the beach? This was something you changed something out of the ordinary. GOOD LUCK and speedy healing and have a great race freckles! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I agree. The remaining training runs can't do much to improve your race. Play it safe. Just do whatever small amount of running you need to stay loose.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        jcasetnl

Ditto here. Daily full body stretching, especially calf muscles and shins. Maybe some abdominal stuff. Eat bananas or get some potassium to make sure that isn't causing it. And rest rest rest. The day before you might do an easy 1 or 2 mile jog just to loosen up. (like 9.5 - 11 minute pace - really slow). And yeah, the beach running could have caused it. For me, beach running works my calves a lot more (also stresses my achiles heal). The resulting tightness in my calf muscles makes me much more susceptible to shin splints.