How long did it take for you to enter your first race? (Read 822 times)

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

I've only been "running" for two months and have not even considered entering a race.  How about you?

I've only been "running" for two months and have not even considered entering a race.  How about you?

somewhere between 8 & 10 years from when I started running consistently to when I entered my first 5 k race. 

(Yes, that's a LONG time, but I wasn't in any rush).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

somewhere between 8 & 10 years from when I started running consistently to when I entered my first 5 k race. 

(Yes, that's a LONG time, but I wasn't in any rush).

Wow, crazy.  Do you remember how you did?

Eight years for me, too. I was mostly just running on a treadmill for fitness until a friend told me about some races he'd done. I love racing! Not because I'm good at it, because I'm not. But it's fun. Smile

Wow, crazy.  Do you remember how you did?

Yes, 11/15/2008, a local 5k race with about 200 to 300 runners.  My wife and I both raced for the 1st time.  She beat me and won her age group.  I decided I needed to race more often and make sure she wouldn't beat me anymore.

I don't remember how long it took me for the 5k, but I remember the route and the temperature that morning.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

rainmakerrc

I started running with the C25K program, and like many folks, I wanted to run a race soon after graduating.  I believe that first race was about a week after finishing the program, so I must've registered for it sometime within the 9 weeks that the program ran . . . probably about a month after starting.

Roses Revenge

Started training in Jan 2006.  First 5K in April, first half marathon in June and first marathon in October.  50 some races since then and top 3 in AG in more than half of them.  But I'm one of the crazy people and I still walk more than I run.  And it's easy to place in AG when the other old women don't come out for the same races I do.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

A Saucy Wench

I kind of entered a race before i started running really.  I started running sproadically at lunch at work because it seemed to be the thing to do.  I thought I would try it.  And I had worked my way up to about 2 miles (although at the time I thought it was more - no really good way to map it then) and someone talked me in to race for the cure. 

AFTER the race.  when I had run the whole race, THAT high is what made me really start running "for real"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I didn't start running till I was in Afghanistan in 2010, age 37.  Had a surgery in July while there that I was trying to recuperate from.  It was about August when I started, and I pretty quickly got up to the 8 and 10 mile distance range. 

I couldn't wait to get back home to run a race, so I signed up for the "Army 10 miler Shadow Run" in Bagram, Afghanistan less than 3 months after I started running, and I beat most of the Army dudes and almost all the Air Force dudes.  --- It was on from there, I was hooked on running and also various races after that.

Currently I run a race almost every single weekend (most are 5k but some 10K, Half, Full, Longer...) I'm doing something like 40-45 races a year now, and lovin' it :-).

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

After running about a year, I entered a race.

For me, the race gave me a focus. I used to run when I felt like running. So after a Christmas break, that was 3 months break. Then maybe ran once or twice a week. After registering a race, I picked a 12 weeks training plan, and stuck on it most of the time. It gave me the motivation.

After the first race, suddenly I felt more confident and start running faster and longer. I am sure it was not just the race, but mainly the 12 week hard work.

Then I registered a second race 6 weeks later to see my training progress. Again I felt more confident and can run faster and longer after the race.

However, I don't like racing. It hurts. I battled a lot during the race and constantly wanted to give up, but I wanted to finish it. The good news is after the race my training seems nothing now compared to the pain I got during the race. And sometimes I get some low point during my training, but I can push through as it was really nothing compared to the race.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Jess runs for bacon

I started C25K last November, and ran my first half in April '12. I had to walk/run it and did terrrible, but I was still hooked. Completed my first and second half marathons in October and November. I love races Big grin

I started running in July and ran my first 5k the first weekend in November. A few days later I registered for my second 5k during the third weekend of November. A few days after that, I registered for my first HM (end on March).

I don't need to have a race to be focused, but racing lets me know if I'm improving and what I need to work on. Plus, it's a lot of fun! Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

jeffdonahue

Entered a race before I even started - as kind of a motivator to get me to do the training part.  It didnt work.  I entered a 5k and did 2 training runs for it and hurt like hell at the end.  I just kind of realized that I knew in the back of my mind that I could finish a 5k without training and did.

So after that I started signing up for races that I knew I would have to put the training in - did some triathlons and my first marathon less than a year later (which also hurt a lot because I was way undertrained).

jules2

About five minutes but its quicker now as you can enter most races on line.Cool

i did it the other way around I entered a race found out how unfit I was and then started training, this is a comment not advice.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

About five minutes but its quicker now as you can enter most races on line.Cool

i did it the other way around I entered a race found out how unfit I was and then started training, this is a comment not advice.

I'm surprised it took this long for this response.  Wink

Cool stuff guys thanks, keep it coming.