The Future of RunningAHEAD (Read 8024 times)

xor

Please include a subscription plan allowing users to eliminate ads.  I will gladly pay to help keep your site viable...it's great, the best I've seen yet...and I've tried and used dozens....however, I can't and won't stand ads !!!

Serious, non-baiting question.

As long as they aren't loud and intrusive, why?

Queen of 3rd Place

Damn, I leave town for a week and look what happens! Joking

Seriously, best wishes to you Eric. This place has changed a lot of lives. I hope you feel proud of what you've done so far.

Ads, subscription, donations...I'm up for whatever you decide.

Ex runner

wyerock

Sounds great Eric and I hope this grows into a solid income for you!

I'm all for the free-via-ads with a paid option.  I know lots of people will gladly pay for a great site and often feel insulted by the ads, but I also know there are plenty that would never pay but have no issue with ads, and I think both groups are large.

xor

I gotta ask again.  Honest question.

If they are not loud and intrusive, why are ads "insulting"?

You Are Beautiful.

Whatever you need, I'm sure we can contribute!

LLR has been there for me so many times when I wanted to quit, cry, die, revel and wallow in my failures and share my successes (however meager). I love RA and will always have your back Smile

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

xhristopher

I gotta ask again.  Honest question.

If they are not loud and intrusive, why are ads "insulting"?

We all have different sensibilities and that's ok. If someone is happy to pay ericSmile more to eliminate the ads than he would have otherwise earned by showing them the ads how would it be a bad thing or concern/inconvenience you?

xor

We all have different sensibilities and that's ok. If someone is happy to pay ericSmile more to eliminate the ads than he would have otherwise earned by showing them the ads how would it be a bad thing or concern/inconvenience you?

You and I have been through this before.

It is possible to ask a sincere question in an attempt to LEARN.  It is possible to ask a question without pre-judging.

I never said it was "bad".

And I DAMN SURE never said it would "inconvenience" me.  It "concerns" me in the simple sense that I would like to understand.

It's a simple thing.  Asking questions to better understand each other should be allowed.  Otherwise, well, folks will start presuming they get what others mean when perhaps they really kind of don't. 

To both stellarsJ and wyerock: I mean my questions sincerely and simply; I mean no harm and I'm not setting you up.  Please do not load your responses with what xhristopher wrote, because that's not where I'm coming from.  Where I'm coming from is much more basic.  I'd like to know what about certain ads have made them insulting and something you won't stand for.

xhristopher

You and I have been through this before.

It is possible to ask a sincere question in an attempt to LEARN.  It is possible to ask a question without pre-judging.

I never said it was "bad".

And I DAMN SURE never said it would "inconvenience" me.  It "concerns" me in the simple sense that I would like to understand.

It's a simple thing.

Personally, if someone wanted to pay to go ad free I wouldn't worry about it. It's not an uncommon feature around the interwebs, thus the frequent request. It's not unique. Therefore, the answer to your question is that we all have different sensibilities and that's ok. Like I said, it's possible that ericSmile could make more from those with that preference which would make both parties happier, which is fantastic.

xor

Ok.

Well, my job used to involve website development and IT.  Stuff like this interests me.

And it is great fun to just state "pay ericSmile more to eliminate the ads than he would have otherwise earned by showing them the ads" because theoretically that sounds nice.  Of course, the trick is understanding what that price point is.  Which isn't going to get solved in this thread, nor in front of the curtain.  But I would think it does involve at least a passing interest in understanding why ads are considered insulting, something one won't stand for, etc etc.

I'm not "worried". I'm curious.

But, fine, we will pretend I didn't ask.

BTW, of course it is ok that we all have different sensibilities and likes/dislikes.  I hope that nobody really thinks it is not. But sometimes it really is ok to ask someone with a seemingly (?) differing viewpoint to provide a little more color to promote understanding.

xhristopher

srl, I regret getting your dander up and the words "worried," "inconvenience," and "concerns" were all mine and improperly inferred from your persistent yet sincere questioning. Yet, it's no secret that as a society many of us are trying our best to avoid ads in various forms. Also, many are willing to happily pay to eliminate them if the product is worth it. We want options. That's all. I, like I imagine you do, find so much value in RA that we'd be here with or without ads. 

RA, has  contributed tremendously to my running. For that I owe a debt to ericSmile and he'll have a preponderance of us as happy customers. Let's focus on that.

Peace.

bone_china

Dear Eric

All the best for this new venture. I will continue to support and use your website into the future.

Best regards

Mohan (Mumbai, India)

xor

I agree that this is a good "thank eric", positive thread... as it should be.

I was just asking followup questions for my own understanding.  I wasn't trying to be negative.

PM sent. 

runninginseattle

Ads are fine and occasionally informative, thanks for a great site. Good luck with all the transitions, close one door and another opens, sometimes a lot more open.

pcasto2

Eric, I also wish you the best for this new venture and thanks for a great site!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I personally don't even notice ads unless they're animated or include sounds.  I guess my brain just filters them out.