I hate to eat and run, but... (Read 1133 times)

I usually wait at least 30 seconds to 2 minutes to run after eating, unless I'm eating while I'm running or in the middle of a workout. Then that time frame doesn't count, since I already have shoes on.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Lu481

I run mainly in the morning and don't usually eat anything before. For the longer runs however I try to eat at least a bagel.
        I think we may be talking about two different things... In the summary of this article it was concluded that: fat oxidation during low intensity exercise is higher during the effort, but fat oxidation (post exercise) is higher from hi-intensity workouts. I'm not too much concerned (for me) about burning fat after the run. I want to burn fat during the run. Not because I want to lose weight but to utilize fat as energy. In order for me to get faster at the marathon distance and not bonk, I have to get lot's of miles under my belt. And in order to get lots of miles in, I have to slow down the pace on longer runs or my body will self destruct with too many high-intensity workouts. Here is a link to an article taken out of an issue of "Marathon and Beyond" that explains this. http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/MandBFuelOnFat.cfm
        No, I think we're talking about the exact same thing. Did you read pages 2 & 3? From article: • At moderate intensities (63-68% VO2 max) carbs during exercise may reduce fat oxidation in untrained subjects, but do not reduce fat oxidation in trained subjects for at least the first 80-120 minutes of exercise. • Carbohydrate during exercise spares liver glycogen, which is among the most critical factors for anticatabolism during hypocaloric & other conditions of metabolic stress. This protective hepatic effect is absent in fasted cardio. • At the established intensity level of peak fat oxidation (~63% VO2 max), carbohydrate increases performance without any suppression of fat oxidation in trained subjects. Fasted = Suboptimal Fasted cardio is not optimal for reasons spanning beyond its questionable track record in research. There’s unavoidable positive metabolic synergy in fed (read: properly fueled) training, regardless of sport. This effect increases with intensity of training; even in untrained subjects, whatever fat oxidation is suppressed during training is compensated for in the recovery period by multiple mechanisms, many of which are not yet identified. Athletes are known for their gravitation towards self-sacrifice, but some rely on hearsay, while others rely on science. Did you know that way back in the 60’s, it wasn’t uncommon for coaches to tell athletes in various sports to avoid drinking water before and during training? No comment needed. Good thing researchers questioned it, and enough data surfaced to validate claims of the skeptics. Sometimes counterproductive dogma indeed dies, thank goodness. However, the myths addressed here are admittedly more subtle than the water example. Even on suboptimal protocols, athletes all over the world still inch along, although not at optimal rates, and not necessarily to optimal levels.
          It looks like we have 2 threads going regarding this topic. I already posted this in the other one. http://www.ebragger.com/710/why-you-should-eat-early-morning-training-ride! Here's a quote from a book I just read. This is what has prompted me to eat a little before my early morning runs. From: "Food for Fitness, Eat Right to Train Right," by Lance Armstrong's coach, Chris Charmichael. "I remember when, a few years ago, athletes began to pick up the bad habit of training early in the morning without eating; they were convinced it would help them "train" thier bodies to better burn fat for fuel. Fortunately, word got out that this was not a good way to start the day. Training or competing on an empty stomach does not improve performance; rather, it may cause additional protein to be sacrificed for fuel. After an 8-10 hour fast, you would start exercising with depleted carbohydrate stores. In these conditions, your body converts protien to carbohydrate in order to maintain adequate blood sugar levels." It's hard for me to believe that Lance's fat burning was compromised in any way, shape or form by eating before training rides.
            I was thinking about posting this very same (initial) question! I too have issues with hypoglycemia. I turn into a shaky, agitated bitch... To combat this (I guess manage might be a better word) I try to eat small meals throughout the day, so I never go too long without eating. I've had to time my runs so that I have just eaten something within the last hour or so (but nothing too substantial). Toast with peanut butter and a half apple or something. I only do three miles in the mornings on an empty stomach because I'll crash after anything else. My best running time is at night, a few hours after a good (healthy/balanced) dinner. But I had to experiment to find what worked for me, and sometimes when I have to fit in a run and it's morning and I'm starving I'll hit the pavement still chewing.
              I too am hypoglycemic. I typically have toast w/ PB or apple butter before I go out. Alternatively, a luna bar will also do the trick. Adding this to my morning routine has made a HUGE difference in my performance.
              Jenny
                I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have never been diagnosed officially as hypoglecemic (sp?) however do get really shaky when I don't have enough sugar. Before any runs longer than 3 miles I have 1/2 a Clif/Luna/ or Granola bar with about 8 oz of water while I stretch. It works well for me.

Bugs

I prefer to run in the morning without eating first, and nothing after dinner the night before. I also usually drink only water, even if running 20 miles. I do best with this and am strong at the end of my runs than the start. If I run in evening I have to eat very light during the day, and very carefull about what I eat (toast good, pizza bad) else I run->poop->run->poop and that is really a shitty run.

Bugs

...and that is really a shitty run.
                    Haha nice pun. I think the discussion about whether or not to eat before running is quite interesting. I just know from personal experience that I feel better and greater strength in my runs if I eat something and hydrate well about 60-90 minutes before going out. If I eat too close before going out, I feel slightly weighed down and unable to really push it too hard, likely due to increased bloodflow to the stomach when you want more flow to the legs.
                    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon