Treadmill....tool? or torture device? (Read 915 times)

Torture device.
      Definitely a torture device. I would and have run in horizontal freezing rain before I would submit myself to a treadmill. Not that I haven't tried, but I can never go for more than a few minutes before the 1000 yard stare and drooling commence. I have run 22 miles on an outdoor track which was almost as bad. It was a week before I could walk in a straight line. Tom
      sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

When I was training for the Rocky 50 last winter I was forced because of snow and BAD weather to do 95% of my last two months of training on a treadmill. Probabaly the worst was my 30 mile run on the treadmill. I watched a full season of the office, a movie and listened to my ipod. This year I am having a hard time even looking at it.
        If you're bored ask why you're boring
        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I didn't mind it until I ran outdoors. Now it is a torture device.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Torture. Ran on the treadmill for 3 years. Started running outside 2 years ago during good weather. Goal this year is at least 100 miles / month with all of it outside. I ran in sleet this year and it was still slightly better than the treadmill.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When you hop off of the belt and leave it running, and then nearly pull your groin when you get back on because you forgot it was still running, then it definitely counts as a torture device.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Rundadrun27

I've been battling a bit of an ankle injury the last couple of weeks, so many of my workouts have been on a TM. I'm starting to like the TM more than running outdoors. For some reason, I find my endurance is better, I don't have to worry about traffic, and I can go for a run whenever I want without worrying about the weather.
                  I agree with Marcus_ on the mental test comment. It definitely feels like that for me too. Especially in the last 2 hotels I stayed, where the TV had been removed from the "fitness center," so I was staring at a blank wall the whole time. The main problem I have on the treadmill though, is the ridiculous amount of sweat that I produce when I run on it. It's a constant battle to keep it out of my eyes. I usually have a couple of towels and tie an old tshirt around my head like a thick headband. Nothing seems to work though.

Man in Tights

I find this question pretty similar to - would you rather see wild animals in their natural habitat or in cages Obviously I prefer running outdoors but I find the treadmill invaluable under the following conditions: 1. Rehab - helped me immensely during my recovery from a torn meniscus 2. Torrential rain - running in India during the monsoons is simply not, well adviseable Black eye 3. While traveling - I wouldn't stay at a hotel if it doesn't have a treadmill. 4. Posture correction - my gym has mirrored walls - you can check if you're doing things wrong Tool or toture device - it doesn't matter as long as you get to run. Cheers