Thoughts on Garmin 305 display fields for half-marathon (Read 896 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Distance. Elapsed Time Nothing else.
    I would add lap pace to this, but only if you're interested in checking your pace at all during the race.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would add lap pace to this, but only if you're interested in checking your pace at all during the race.
      I record the laps. I just don't display the pace as I run.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I record the laps. I just don't display the pace as I run.
        I wasn't telling you what to do. I was saying what I would do. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I will second what a few others have said and say that I like to see average pace for the lap. This way, I know mile by mile if I am staying consistent, picking up the pace, or slowing down. Since I am racing for time rather than against other people, it helps me stay in my target range otherwise I have a tendancy to go too fast.

Ryan

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Since I am racing for time rather than against other people, it helps me stay in my target range otherwise I have a tendancy to go too fast.
            I race against people, but I too need a sanity check for going out too fast.

an amazing likeness

Specifically for races I use: Average Pace (large, field 1, top) Last lap pace (lower left) Elapsed time (lower right) I use auto-lap at 1 mile splits. The key for me is the overall pace. I use the last lap pace to let me know whether I need to back it down or pick it to manage the overall pace. I don't bother with distance since the courses are usually well marked, and I don't really have a reason for the time other than giving me an general idea of how I'm doing.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

325th place or bust!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still not sure what I'll use but now I have some good ideas and about two months to play with it.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!