Interesting race results from 1978. (Read 926 times)

npaden

No problem. There actually are some good runners out here in po-dunk West Texas, I'm just not one of them! Lubbock Christian University had a string of NAIA National championship cross country teams in the 90's and sometimes those guys would run some of the club races so there are some decent course records at least to my uneducated mind. Leigh Daniels ran for Texas Tech and she has a bunch of course records as well. She still runs on a fairly regular basis, just not the times she posted when she was in college. At $5 per race to enter it's hard not to run them for me, even if I'm not "racing".

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xor

po-dunk.

Oh dear.

The people of Brownfield, Levelland, Littlefield, Shallowater, and Muleshoe shake their collective fists at you.

(fwiw, Lubbock's not that tiny.)

dennrunner

po-dunk.

Oh dear.

The people of Brownfield, Levelland, Littlefield, Shallowater, and Muleshoe shake their collective fists at you.

(fwiw, Lubbock's not that tiny.)

I was going to give an example of a race in Muleshoe in 1983, but it was in Herford instead.  Close enough.

8/13/1983

113 runners

winning time 33:16

4th place 35:54, 3rd place 20-29 years

don't know any other times. that's all I logged.

I was going to give an example of a race in Muleshoe in 1983, but it was in Herford instead.  Close enough.

8/13/1983

113 runners

winning time 33:16

4th place 35:54, 3rd place 20-29 years

don't know any other times. that's all I logged.

Wait. You know of Hereford and Muleshoe? I almost never encounter people on message boards who have heard of any of the "po-dunk" towns around here.

Kalsarikännit

Oh, yeah? Where's that Farrah Fawcett/Lee Majors magazine cover again?

Back in the good ol days, runners had great running hair.  Nowadays these joggers think it is good enough to show up with ponytails and headbands.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

dennrunner

Wait. You know of Hereford and Muleshoe? I almost never encounter people on message boards who have heard of any of the "po-dunk" towns around here.

Well, srlopez does.  And I lived in Lubbock from 1982 to 1993, so I've heard of or been through several of the po-dunk towns.  I went to Herford once, or maybe twice, to race.  And I went through Muleshoe several times on my way to race at Clovis.  And I've been to Canyon (and Palo Duro Canyon), too.  I think I remember you posting that you're from there or have family there or something like that.  Not trying to be creepy or anything.  It's just something I think I remember you posting that stuck in my brain because I lived in West Texas during my early adult years.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Back in the good ol days, runners had great running hair.  Nowadays these joggers think it is good enough to show up with ponytails and headbands.

There you have it -- the fall of standards in running explained in a nutshell, and now you know why the top, mean, and median times have fallen off so terribly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bhearn

So it's a Samson sort of thing? Will we run faster carrying the jawbone of an ass?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So it's a Samson sort of thing? Will we run faster carrying the jawbone of an ass?

You won't have much problem shaking off runners trying to draft you, at least.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Well, srlopez does.  And I lived in Lubbock from 1982 to 1993, so I've heard of or been through several of the po-dunk towns.  I went to Herford once, or maybe twice, to race.  And I went through Muleshoe several times on my way to race at Clovis.  And I've been to Canyon (and Palo Duro Canyon), too.  I think I remember you posting that you're from there or have family there or something like that.  Not trying to be creepy or anything.  It's just something I think I remember you posting that stuck in my brain because I lived in West Texas during my early adult years.

Yep--I grew up in Canyon, and we still live in Big A. It's just cool to hear someone say they know our area because so many times when people mention Texas, it's Dallas or Austin.

Kalsarikännit

There you have it -- the fall of standards in running explained in a nutshell, and now you know why the top, mean, and median times have fallen off so terribly.

Just sayin'.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

kcam

Lubbock, Hereford, Muleshoe - West Texas?!  Not to someone who grew up in El Paso.   And speaking of fast college runners 'upping' the local racing scene - UTEP and it's Kenyan contigent in the 70's/80's were completely badass.  As someone who wasn't a runner even I knew I was seeing something special when those guys ran.

Yeah, not sure why we're classified as West Texas. And North Texas is DFW....
                              npaden

I thought El Paso was part of New Mexico?  They are in the same time zone anyway! Wink

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)