Swimmers/Triathletes... help me with open water swimming.... (Read 1820 times)

shonan marathon, girl

When I read about the shark attack, it scared the s--t out of me. Especially because the victim was a triathlete. It would make me pr everytime too. I signed up for my 2.5k Enoshima swim race on August 12th. This is a big race with a ton of swimmers and boats w/life guards all along the course. As a kid, I was scared to death all my life of deep water and the ocean. I am not going to make it to Sado Long Distance Triathlon in September for a second time. Last year because of a broken toe, this year because of my anemia requires surgery. This year I am not depressed about it. I am planning to bike with my DH during summer vacation instead. More than anything, I am just so excited to finally have found a wonderful surgeon this week that even speaks perfect ENGLISH! He said I am going to feel so much better after I recover. I was probably anemic my whole life and my body became adjusted to that condition is what he said as well. He agreed that my swim and run and bike times should improve drastically. I have so much to look forward to! If you can't make the race this year, there's always next year. The race isn't going to go anywhere!

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

seeEricaRun

Awesome

When I read about the shark attack, it scared the s--t out of me. Especially because the victim was a triathlete.
      I was going to say that my childhood phobias usually go away when I swim in groups, but not after reading about this!

shonan marathon, girl

I did go ocean swimming in May. On that day, we did drills swimming in a line and back and forth to the buoy about 150 meters out. Of course, like a scaredy cat, I was thinking about the shark attack. I have never heard of anything like that happening here in Japan. I keep telling myself that the chances of it happening are just so incredibly remote. The movie, Jaws made my phobia of the ocean and deep water horrible as a child because my grandparents would take me swimming on the south shore of Long Island near the Hamptons.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!