Retailers & E-tailers: the good, the bad, and the ugly (Read 3279 times)

Bad, bad, bad: Road Runner Sports I initially thought I'd order quite a bit from them, so I purchased the V.I.P. membership. I origianally used it for shoes, but haven't used the membership as much as I thought I would for other things, and every time I need something, they don't have it or they don't have it in the right size, so I just called to stop the VIP and get a refund for the remainder of the membership (you can do that). The guy I spoke to said I couldn't have ordered anything anymore anyway without speaking to a supervisor first. HUH?!? He explained that since I've returned "so many things", if I wanted to do it again, I'd have to deal with a supervisor first. While I had returns, in no way were they excessive, or even many for that matter. The items I got didn't fit. You don't tell a customer that they wouldn't have been able to make any more purchases/ returns w/o speaking to someone and getting "permission" first, especially when they've paid for a VIP. *Ack* Never again will I order from them.
      I've ordered from RunningWarehouse.com several times and have had nothing but great experiences with them. One good thing is that they always list the sizes and quantity they have in stock, no guessing. They also ship a free return label with each order.
      Me too, I have bought from running warehouse 5 times, all good. I have had to return 1 pair of shoes, no charge, no shipping, no worries. I hate to not support our local running stores, so I gave them the opportunity to price match. They declined, stuck to the MSRP and gave me the same line about caring and customers and blah blah blah. I have now been buying everything from running warehouse and am totally satisfied.

Hoodoo Guru

I had a gift certificate for Dick's Sporting Goods, went to the local store and was very pleased to find a great pair of shoes on the discount rack. No price on them, so I asked the salesgirl to check the price. She came back and told me ($39!! Yea!). There was a zip tag connecting the two shoes so I then had to ask her to cut it off. Then when I started lacing them up, I realized the security tag on the shoe went through one of the eyelets. I asked the salesguy if he could take it off. He said no, it's a security device. I told him I realize what it is, but I can't try the shoe on with the tag on it. He then said I could go to the cash register at the front of the store and they would take it off and I could try my shoes on up there. I told him, no, he could take the shoes to the front register, have them take the tag off, and then bring them back to me. He handed them to the salesgirl who took them to the front and brought them back without the tag. They fit great. My eight year old daughter was with me and told me I was rude to the guy. Which I realize I was, but I felt it was their job to give me shoes in a condition that I could try on. Anyway, before we left the shoe department, I told the guy I was sorry if I was rude, but I didn't feel like it was the customers job to run around the store. He looked at me and said, "It's a security device." At this point I realized he had no idea what customer service was, and no idea why I could be upset. So I paid for the shoes and left. Normally I buy my shoes at the locally owned running stores. I should have thanked the guy for reminding me why.

The tangents are moot.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Normally I buy my shoes at the locally owned running stores. I should have thanked the guy for reminding me why.
          A security device on $39 shoes? That's nuts!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HappyFeat

RunningShoes.com in Bellingham, WA is a GREAT local running store, owned and operated by runners who are knowledgeable about their products and very active in promoting running in their community. They also have an online store with free shipping on orders over $50 (which qualifies most shoes). They have good sale prices and The Best Customer Service. When a favorite shoe of mine was being discontinued, they searched out the last six pairs from the manufacturer for me. When the new model didn't fit the same, they took them back and helped me find a new shoe to continue on in. I just can't praise them enough. When I lived in California, Fleet Feet was my running store of choice and I shop there when I visit. I have been happy with my dealings with Holabird as well.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

mikeymike

Another shout out for http://www.runningwarehouse.com/. I just bought some shoes and stuff from them the other day. I think this was my 2nd or 3rd purchase from them, all good. Good inventory, free 2-day shipping, good prices. They carry a good selection of the lightweights that a lot of other stores don't. I also noticed at check out that they were offering a NB tech t-shirt for $5--free if you bought NB shoes, (zoom-zoom!)--and figured why not. I ran in it this a.m. and it's one of the best tech t's I own. I'm trying to figure out what else I can buy so I can get a few more of those shirts. They are my new favorite running retailer of any kind.

Runners run

Very good: athleta.com. Their customer service rocks. It's just ladies' stuff, though.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I also noticed at check out that they were offering a NB tech t-shirt for $5--free if you bought NB shoes, (zoom-zoom!)--and figured why not. I ran in it this a.m. and it's one of the best tech t's I own. I'm trying to figure out what else I can buy so I can get a few more of those shirts.
                  Poopy...I currently have 3 new/newish shoes in rotation... Sad I have a NB tech shirt from a race I did last Fall--definitely one of my favorites. Very silky.

~ Sarah Kay

anneb

Also for New Balance - www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com Since it is an outlet, they usually have the prior version of a shoe, but they can be at huge discounts. Also great for tech shirts and shorts. Their standard shipping charge is cheap. And, they are around St. Louis so if you are in the midwest, you will probably get your stuff the next day. The first time I ordered, I had selected a shipping upgrade, and a customer service rep called me within minutes of my order explaining that I could downgrade shipping since I was in Chicago, it would get to me next day anyways. Very nice!

Anne

The shirtless wonder

I generally purchase my running shoes from a local specialty shop even though they don't carry the model I wear. However, on at least one occasion, I needed sneakers and it wasn't feasible to get the sneakers from them (due to time constraints) so I ordered from runningwarehouse.com. I have no complaints withthem. I've ordered gel for a decent price from REI.com when no local stores had the kind I wanted and there was about 1 week before my second marathon. My only complaint with REI is the mass amount of email they send me. I don't remember opting in to anything but maybe I did. I recently ordered sunglasses from zappos.com and I was very happy. Their prices were great and they "upgraded" the shipping to next day air at no charge and I didn't ask for it. I think that's their normal M.O. even if it's not advertised. Greg
                        Zombie Runner is awesome for trail/ultrarunning gear: http://www.zombierunner.com/ I've only ordered one thing from Holabird, but they were great... fast shipping, great prices. NFI in either. - Chris

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I've ordered from RunningWarehouse.com several times and have had nothing but great experiences with them. One good thing is that they always list the sizes and quantity they have in stock, no guessing. They also ship a free return label with each order.
                          Ditto this! I had a sizing issue last year and had to return twice - gotta LOVE that free return label. -- I wish I had a local running store near me Sad
                          ~ Fly ~
                          Only as much as I dream can I be.
                          veggies on the run
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just had a really great experience shopping with GypsyRunner.com.  At the Vegas Marathon expo I picked up 3 funny tech shirts for my hubby, kid, and I.  When I got back to my hotel I discovered some gray smudges on the sleeve of my shirt.  

Upon arriving home I treated the spot with stain remover and washed it.  It didn't budge.  So I e-mailed the company to explain the defect and she promptly asked me to send it back for an exchange, which I did.

Not only did she send me a new shirt, she also included $6 to cover my shipping and a free biker-girl car decal (one of those heavy-duty die-cut vinyl things).  She was super friendly and nice at the expo too, even with all of the hubbub.

~ Sarah Kay

No run...need sleepy!

Dick's has been hit or miss with me.  Sometimes it feels like I should get on the PA myself and ask if there are any staff in the store.  Sometimes when you do get help it's from a minimum wage part-timer who is counting the minutes to the next smoke break.  But sometimes you can actually find someone who cares and knows what they're talking about.

I keep going back because once upon a time I bought a really nice 4 season tent (retail $350) for $49.  I don't expect much when I walk in, but I have been surprised.

Sierra Trading Post has been pretty good too.  My issue is that I'm 6'6".  Their stock tends to run in much more average sizes.

Long ago I signed up to be a member of the REI co-op.  I bought a pair of Asolo boots which I thought I had thoroughly vetted at the store.  I wore them a few times and just wasn't happy with them.  They ended up in my closet.  5 years later on a whim I brought them back and they gave me a full cash refund no questions asked.  That made me happy.

I love a bargain, but I also don't mind paying a small premium for the advice, experience and general good will of a quality local running store.

The shirtless wonder

Fleet Feet Rochester: Excellent

I recently special ordered a new pair of Wave Precision 11s (my second pair of the exact same model) and then new pair seems to be causing my feet to blister.  I asked if it was possible to get a bad pair of sneakers.  They said that it was possible and offered to order a replacement pair at no charge.

A while back they gave me a really nice Mizuno backpack -- just because they knew I liked Mizuno shoes.  I think a Mizuno rep had given them the bag for free.  This isn't the little bags that Mizuno tends to give out at expos.  This was a full-on backpack for triathletes.