Boston Marathon Race Report (Read 682 times)

The start: warm and wet The finish: cold and windy Thank god it's over! I finished in 3:13:07...about 45 seconds off my PR and 3 minutes off my goal of 3:10. With the conditions what they were I'm happy with my results.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Awesome Job!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the utmost respect for anyone who finishes a marathon...especially under those conditions! Great time, too! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Almost everyone I know was 7-10 minutes off of their PR's due to the weather (head wind) so that is a great effort. Congrats!

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good work everybody. Weird. I know several who set PRs, including one who set a 10 minute PR off her December 2006 marathon PR.
            mikeymike

Weird. I know several who set PRs, including one who set a 10 minute PR off her December 2006 marathon PR.
              Those people have improved their fitness by A LOT since their last PRs.

Runners run

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Congrats on completing a tough marathon! Mike: I've been checking the Shamrock results and it looked like the faster folks were off by 10 minutes, while the slower ones PR'ed by 10 minutes. Some even qualified for the very first time! Regardless, everyone should get credit just for heading out to Hopkinton.

You'll ruin your knees!

Tracking you guys during the race, I knew there would be some pretty decent times. Congrats on the PR...wow, to say PR and Boston in the same sentence is awesome! Rest well, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

everyone should get credit just for heading out to Hopkinton.
                    For me, that was the hardest part; just going to the start and anticipating running 3 hours in wind and rain. Once we got through the first few miles, the weather seemed perfect to me. My only other problem was being torn between running with the guys I committed to go with (one of whom was struggling), and wanting to race. We left Marty behind at about mile 12 and ran a comfortable pace until the bottom of Heartbreak Hill. Training on the hills in VA has got me used to pushing the pace uphill, so at that point I finally gave in to what my legs wanted to do and left my brother behind. Ran the last ~5 miles at just under 7 minute pace, so I felt really good about that. Considering what the forcast had us expectingworrying about, it turned out to be a pretty good day to run.
                      Great job, everyone. Conditions looked brutal on TV. Congratulations!!
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Those people have improved their fitness by A LOT since their last PRs.
                        I don't know. Many have commented on just how GOOD the conditions were. Cool. Minimal rain. Winds occasional, but from the side. Unexpected, to be sure.
                          I have to agree with Trent. It was definitely raining at the start, so my shoes were soggy before I started, and the wind felt pretty strong in Boston after I finished, but in between was great running weather.
                            Nice job everyone. I am glad the weather wasn't as bad as predicted.
                            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                              Wow, I've always heard that PRing at Boston is tough .. and then, to do it in those conditions ... nice going! Big grin
                              2009: BQ?
                              mikeymike

Congrats on completing a tough marathon! Mike: I've been checking the Shamrock results and it looked like the faster folks were off by 10 minutes, while the slower ones PR'ed by 10 minutes. Some even qualified for the very first time! Regardless, everyone should get credit just for heading out to Hopkinton.
                                I've noticed that trend too. Top 10 men and women were all 4-5% slower than in 2006. Most people I know who are generally in the 3 hour range or faster were 3-10 minutes slower than in 06. But a lot of the slower folks seem to have run as fast or faster than normal. I went out running around the time the elite women were leaving hopkinton and while it was pretty decent weather for running, I wouldn't have wanted to be racing for time in that--tough to get warmed up and tough to maintain any kind of pacing with the wind. Though it was certainly better racing weather than a really hot day like 04.

Runners run