Water Strategy for Ten-Mile Race (Read 207 times)

Just a dude.

I think having the skill of drinking on the run for races is a good thing. Who knows when something comes up.

I ran a 5 mile race last weekend. It wasn't hot at all. Probably 65 degrees. There were water stations at roughly 2 and 3.5 miles.

I actually grabbed a water at the 2 mile mark. It wasn't cuz I was thristy, but something in my throat was just bugging me. One or two swallows and it felt much better. It wasn't a make or break kind of a thing, but having one less annoyance was good.

Having the ability to grab one if you want it can be helpful.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I dont think you need to drink at all during a 10 mile race.......just make sure you adequately hydrate a couple of days before race day and then on the Am of the race.    I don't think there is any reason you need to drink during that short of a race....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Agree with above, for me the stop/slowdown for a drink for a race shorter than a Half marathon is me giving in to the desire to ease up from the discomfort.  Don't think the water will ever make it into our system to affect our performance in the shorter races.

mikeymike

If it's hot, dump the water on your head and skip the middle man. Re-hydrate at the finish.

Runners run

gone2run

Excellent input here, fellow runners--thanks.  When training, I carry water when it is warm (about 80F) and I go over 60 minutes.  My goal time is about 1:08, and so it looks like I should not require water.  The weather should be on the cooler side of 80.

Walk-Jogger

If it's hot, dump the water on your head and skip the middle man. Re-hydrate at the finish.

Makes sure it's not clear sport drink first! I prefer to dump water on my hands, as that cools me down great if I'm running a bit hot.

Retired &  Loving It

I dont think you need to drink at all during a 10 mile race.......just make sure you adequately hydrate a couple of days before race day and then on the Am of the race.    I don't think there is any reason you need to drink during that short of a race....

my strategy as well  up to HM distance..   and I start loading up with electrolytes (accelerade)  few days before as well.  no day before carb loading either as I get plenty enough in normal day to day diet.

I guess I am the oddball here but it is Summer here and and HOT one.  I end up drinking a little over a liter for an intense 10miler. one liter for 8 miles, 3/4 for 5.6 miles 1/2 for a 5k etc..  I end up carrying a 32oz water bottle every run I do. Just vary the amount inside depending on length of run and heat factor.  It was 103' average here 2 weeks ago and around 93' average this past week.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Goorun

If you think you need a drink during 10 mile race, you are probably not that fast, so just walk/stop and drink.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

gone2run

Never said I "needed" to drink.  I was thinking mostly in terms of planning for a possible hot day, should I encounter one.  Also, I am not that experienced at this particular distance.  On a usual October morning, no, I would not need to drink in a ten-mile race, and so I guess I am fast.  Also, the fact that I am running in the first wave should indicate that I have at least some speed, don't ya think?

spinach

Why are so many people negative on this? Some people don't want to drink , some do.  Why attack them just because they want to drink? They asked for advice and suggestions about drinking on the race.  Why not give advice about drinking in a race?  You may say i don't drink in a 10 mile but that is really totally irrelevant.  Give advice on using the straw or pinching the cup or practicing or whatever,  it makes no sense to tell them you don't have to drink, that was not what they asked about.

gone2run

Well stated, spinach.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

mikey's solution didn't sound negative to me at all...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Goorun

The point is that there is no physiological need for drinking during a 10 mile race. If you want to drink of course do it. Why you find it offensive, when I say to stop and drink? There are people doing it in races all the time. In longer races, the short stop and drink could be beneficial to your overall pace and the final result. Speed comment is there to explain that fast runners NEVER drink in shorter races because it's a waste of time for them, but it could be beneficial for slower runners, if not physiologically, it could help mentally (+1 on what Happyfeet said). People get so defensive when somebody use fast/slow comments. The speed is relative and there is always somebody faster and also somebody slower. I call myself hobby-jogger because I see myself as a very slow version of my younger/faster me. Anybody who run 10 miles over 50 minutes is "not that fast" to me. It's not a slight on anybody. Some people run sub 3 marathon and suck by their own admission, some run 6 hours marathon and they are awesome doing it. It's my way of saying, if you are not a fast runner, you have time to stop and drink. It's much easier to do that, than try to run and spill drinks all over yourself with a questionable benefit of saving some time.  

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Feeling the growl again

The title asks for a water strategy. One potential strategy...a common one, in fact..is no water. I see nothing inherently negative in offering this up as an option.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills