I need to create a website for a running challenge (Read 717 times)

I'm a computer programmer and one of the guys that I work with is doing an ironman next summer. He's trying to do some fundraisers for it, and one of them is going to be a virtual race across the country. For this, he has asked me to write a website that allows users to log miles and then shows how far they have traveled on a map. It would be cool if there were some web services out there that I could use that would do all the complex calculations for me and then plot a position marker, because I don't think I would want to spend time doing that at all. Are there any programmers out there? Has anyone done anything like this in the past? Any help would be totally awesome. Maybe this kind of functionality exists somewhere. I am not very well versed in online exercise logging tools, I just enjoy my pen and paper method too much.
    TJoseph

That sounds like a lot of work for a one time event. Just use Google Maps and have your friend manually move the positions when people donate.

Running Dad

you mean like on here
        Things to do this year:
        Not get an injury
        Things done this year:
        Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

De-slacking in progress

Use Running Ahead- I have a map that i use for my YTD miles and am pretending to run from Ohio to NC where my son lives. Just create a map for that and all you have to do is update it http://www.runningahead.com/maps/19bb1d356a4b494d871d0ea302bf40fa

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Use Running Ahead- I have a map that i use for my YTD miles and am pretending to run from Ohio to NC where my son lives. Just create a map for that and all you have to do is update it http://www.runningahead.com/maps/19bb1d356a4b494d871d0ea302bf40fa
            That is a great idea. I am trying to get my mileage back up...I'm gonna start a virtual run of my own to motivate myself.