I'm not stepping foot in that place until . . . (Read 915 times)

Feeling the growl again

If you are talking about the one that caused them to cancel the World Series that did it for me, too.

They canceled a World Series?

No, I'm not kidding.  That's really how little I care.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

They canceled a World Series?

No, I'm not kidding.  That's really how little I care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_Major_League_Baseball_strike

Not at it at all. 

xor

Conspiracy theory abounds regarding the relationship between the strike and the explosion of chemically aided stats afterward.  (plus Cal Ripken)

?

Because PEDs started post-strike? Even Canseco doesnt believe that.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

...when people like Brady Anderson went from being chumps to knocking 50+ homers a year

Great example.

Or when Chuck Knoblock (or however you spelled it) forgot how to throw from 2nd to 1st base, or Kirby Puckett mysteriously had sight issues while in his young 30s and died very young.

Truth is, I believe that the cheating before (emory boards, corked bats, pine tar, spit balls, etc.) did NOT change the purity of the game or the numbers within the game.  Sure, Joe (and/or) Phil Niekro might have won a few extra games in his mid 40s by being able to throw a wicked knuckleball aided by finger nail clippers, but in 1987 (or thereabout), the game changed... forever!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

If you are talking about the one that caused them to cancel the World Series that did it for me, too.

My oldest son was born in Toronto the night Joe Carter won the World Series (October, 1993).  That was the last good game of baseball I remember.  The strike started before the '94 season and the dang AL East and AL West was broken.

Life Goals:

xor

?

Because PEDs started post-strike? Even Canseco doesnt believe that.

There's a reason they are called "conspiracy theories".  I'm not trying to sell it as fact.

And no, not that PED use started after.  That would be a very poor conspiracy theory... perhaps on the level of faked moon landings.  No, this one is a little better.  That ownership and the league knew about it, absolutely knew what was happening, and intentionally took a blind eye because "the world's best homer derby"... not specifically Sosa v Mac, but also the exploding offense by everyone leading into it... theoretically saved the game by re-sparking jaded fan interest.

The funniest part in retrospect is remembering all those SportsCenters where KO and the gang were focused on juiced balls.

xor

My oldest son was born in Toronto the night Joe Carter won the World Series (October, 1993).  That was the last good game of baseball I remember.  The strike started before the '94 season and the dang AL East and AL West was broken.

It started mid season, which was extra shitty.  And the expos were good that year.

HermosaBoy

There's a reason they are called "conspiracy theories".  I'm not trying to sell it as fact.

And no, not that PED use started after.  That would be a very poor conspiracy theory... perhaps on the level of faked moon landings.  No, this one is a little better.  That ownership and the league knew about it, absolutely knew what was happening, and intentionally took a blind eye because "the world's best homer derby" theoretically saved the game by re-sparking jaded fan interest.

I think the Players Association (union?) had a lot to do with that too.  Testing for steroids didn't come about because they wouldn't allow it.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Prince of Fatness

The funniest part in retrospect is remembering all those SportsCenters where KO and the gang were focused on juiced balls.

They were partially correct, something was juiced.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

KO and the gang were focused on juiced balls.

That's why they were scoring at home.  Even if they were by themselves.

I forgot about that.  Thanks for the reminder.  To me baseball ended 10/23/93, the day Carter hit the home run.  Everything after that has been mediocre at best.

(And, yes, I recognize that Rickey Henderson played in that game, and tainted that World Series as well).

It started mid season, which was extra shitty.  And the expos were good that year.

Life Goals:

BeeRunB

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hof13/story/_/id/8826383/what-mlb-hall-fame-be

A good column about this topic. A quote from it:

"Maybe we'll decide we want a Hall of Fame that renders all, or most, of that invisible. Maybe we'll decide we want a Hall of Fame that aspires to be a shrine, not just to greatness but to purity. I don't know how we get there, but maybe that's where this conversation will lead us.

But maybe we'll decide, once we think it all through, that's impossible. Maybe we'll recognize that what the Hall needs to be, in these complicated times, is a museum, and nothing more sainted or noble than that."

Snarl snarl.

Do you have to step out of the box and adjust your shit after every single pitch???

I hate that.

My suggestion:  Just let the pitcher throw the next pitch whenever he wants to, whether or not the batter is in the box. Problem solved.

delicate flower

All those juiced hitters and Pedro Martinez kicked all their asses.

<3