Hi, my name is... (Read 907 times)

madness baby

Welcome Rick! Good luck with your addiction. You'll make it. . . Wink
    deb
      I'm confused Confused but I think "welcome Rick" is the correct post Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Now that was a bath...

Blaine - what I forgot to say earlier is kudos for having so much passion. I can say hand on heart that I adore passionate people whatever their viewpoint. I also like people that stand their ground because they believe. I personally have some very sarcastic strong viewpoints, all of them coming from a very biased position and I like myself very much. Wink But not as much as I like Scout (cause there ain't no love like 'Brother Love'). Or Jeff. I like liking them both because that annoys at least one of them. Rick's shaping up nicely. I'm feeling the love there too. I also like Zoomy. But then again, it's illegal not to like Zoomers on RA. I have four children. None of them drink caffeine. Not even the unmarried pregnant teenage one. This means that I must be an excellent parent. I do however let them all smoke and drink beer Tongue. Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Another Passion

Thanks, everyone! Big grin I am already feeling quite comfy in the confines of these threads with all of you. There are what I feel are some stellar, wit-filled, crack-up, yet sincere, degenerates here (to coin Drew's phrase). I should fit in quite nicely. Cool Thanks for making me feel so welcomed everyone! Big grin Gotta get my pizza-gut out the door for a run now cause (Zoomie) I just inhaled (only 3/4's this time) pizza last night for dinner and half my youngest daughter's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup sunday (reward for obtaining "first chair" in her saxophone section in band) after spectating my elder daughter's XC race yesterday afternoon.

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Along for the Ride

I have four children. None of them drink caffeine. Not even the unmarried pregnant teenage one. This means that I must be an excellent parent. I do however let them all smoke and drink beer Tongue. Claire xxx
            That was just priceless! Big grin Big grin Big grin But to add to the discussion that unfolded. If you were the one to experience an event/disease/symptoms, it will be the worst thing for you. It affected you personally. And you might not be able to understand (completely) somebody else's disease/event/symptom. I could add to the discussion by saying "Blaine and Zoomers - really, I think back pain from a herniated disc with sciatica and paralysis is the worst." Why? Because that is what I experienced. Makes it worst in my book. Before that I was always wondering about the people with the "bad back"... Here is my personal opinion on the whole addiction thing: Have smoked 2 packs a day for 10 years. THAT was bad! But I can have a cup of coffee in the morning. Or not. Sometimes I go days without and it doesn't affect me one way or another. But I also know people that can smoke only in social situations. I couldn't. And to lump in caffeine addiction with obesity only makes partial sense. If we're talking cup of coffee in the morning ... nobody will be obese from that. I would also disagree that we as a society get our kids hooked on caffeine early on. Not every kid has soda all the time. Rick, welcome again. I am glad you feel the love here! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Heh. I will just point out and reiterate that we are not a very good representative sample, as the folks on this board are generally going to be healthier than the average person. The average person would not have a need for this site. Kudos for not giving your kids caffeine. I still think your the exception. (And by individual, I meant and think I previously stated that the people affected are a much smaller scale. Cancer is a very painful ordeal and I have had quite a few people in my family suffer from it. I don't wish it on anyone. But there are fewer people with cancer than there are people that are unhealthy and overweight, and that stay that way, and who push up the insurance premiums and taxes for the rest of us to help deal with their low-level unhealthiness.)

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You'll ruin your knees!

Heh. The average person would not have a need for this site.
                On a good day, I'm average, but I keep visiting this site...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Caffeine is worse than alcohol or tobacco.
                  With all due respect. There has been a lot of excellent (and quite a bit of mediocre) scientific research into the potential effects of caffiene. In general, nearly every well done study has shown NO ill effects, and some have shown positive effects. (A recent study, an outlier, showing caffeine + tylenol increases the risk of liver damage was a good study). Clearly ANY substance can be bad for SOME people, but one cannot generalize to an entire population on the basis of how a small nonrepresentative sample responds. I am glad that you have found what works for you, but that does not mean what works for you is representative of what works for the rest of the population (especially since science shows populations DO react differently to caffeine than you do). Caffeine kills nearly nobody and causes almost no disease. Cigarettes cause damage from the first puff and kill nearly everybody who uses them lifelong. Caffeine has mild addictive properties to be sure. Cigarettes are addictive to most people who use them within the first couple puffs. Caffeine impacts only the person who uses it. Cigarettes kill those who smoke, those who work with smokers, those who live with smokers and those who are friends of smokers. Caffeine does not have negative societal economic impact, and may actually improve economic liquidity. Cigarettes cost society billions and billions of dollars in premature death, preventable illness (in smokers and their family) and lost worktime, most of it paid for by your tax dollars. And so on. And alcohol is somewhere in the middle. Personal ancedotes do not general rules make, and trying to generalize your own personal experiences to others in direct conflict with what good population-based science shows can be dangerous at worst or misleading at best. For example, my personal anecdote is that I drink coffee maybe 2-4 times per week, but on some weeks I drink none; I do get migraines and have since long before I drank coffee and now when I do get migraines caffeine helps treat them (my migraines come most often when I miss running for a few days or when I run long in the heat without adequate fluids). Would I suggest that all my patients with migraines drink coffee? No. Absolutely not. I would work with them to find their own personal triggers and therapies and consider prescribing medications to help as an adjunct. With all due respect, caffeine simply is not the scourge that tobacco is, may actually be beneficial in terms of health and economic outcomes and brings a lot of people pleasure. For me, I get that kind of pleasure from a nice double espresso (black), some dark chocolate, and from in-season local apples or peaches. Mushrooms sauteed in fresh farm butter are pretty awesome as well.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Or the millions of dollars that are spent by taxpayers and employers on the sad state of the average person's health in the US? On the millions of miserable people that do not even know how much happier their lives would be if they weren't over weight and if they tried to take better care of their bodies, just because they are used to the status quo and have developed a dependency on caffeine to wake them up in the morning and keep them awake throughout the day?
                    Yes. Indeed, billions of dollars. But not because of caffeine. Rather it is because of many many many factors, from loss of sidewalks in metropolitan areas, the rise of supersized meals, the ubiquity of high fructose corn syrup and other foods processed to have more hidden calories than we need to get by, the subsidizing commodity products while undersupporting local healthy low calorie high fiber foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, the loss of agricultural genetic diversity, the diminuation of phys ed in schools, the overprotection of kids, the lengthening workweek, and on and on and on. Yeah, sure, there may be some caffeine zombies who would suddenly start training for a marathon, slimming down and getting healthy by eliminating their coffee. But for the vast vast majority, the problem is much more complex than that, and likely does not even involve the coffee. The 1000 calorie latte drinks at Starbucks may be to blame, tho. But that is sugar and milkfat, not caffeine. With all due respect Smile
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Almost done. Really.
                      caffeine being bad for you at Run to Win before. If you want a bit of humor, I recommend looking at this cartoon: How to Quit Drinking Coffee.
                      You write, "Caffeine is worse for you than alcohol and tobacco". By this, I think it reasonable to point out that caffeine is worse for you than alcohol and tobacco, but it is NOT worse for MOST than alcohol and tobacco. Again, this is supported by loads of good science. I am VERY happy for you (really) that you have figured out what works for you. That is excellent and I could not be more delighted that you have found the cause of your cluster headaches and neurologic deficits. Most people out there would not take the time to figure this out and many would simply resort to drugs. Your sleuthwork should certainly be applauded. But again, that something works for you does not make it generalizable to others. One final thing. Look back at the cartoon. The last (i.e., the bottom right) frame points out that caffeine may just be the least of our worries in our modern supersized inactive unhealthy society. I need to run. Thanks for allowing me a soapbox. Big grin

Now that was a bath...

Amen Brother.
                      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(B- I did not mean to sound harsh, you provide so much awesome info that makes the world a far better place than it would be otherwise...)

(B- I did not mean to sound harsh, you provide so much awesome info that makes the world a far better place than it would be otherwise...)
                            By which you mean that that's the only reason you are making allowances for me when I'm bull-headed? Big grin Heheheh.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey