New to running - impressed with success so far - Long way to Go. (Read 1010 times)

No need to time or measure the distance for the extra days, just go out for about 20-30 mins at whatever pace, with walk breaks if needed, the goal of these runs is to get into the habit or running most days.  Work towards a continuous (without walk breaks) 30-40 min daily run, and about an hour on the weekend.

Doc, my tooth hurts

I would say set 40minutes as an "eventually" goal. More immediately do what Happyfeet said and just get in a habit of running more consistently. Get that down and things will start falling into place. At this point I wouldn't worry about time goals at all. 

Jenven

Most definitely.  Running more days a week has a way of making it so that you don't run too hard, in my opinion.  Less time to recover makes it more imperative that your easy runs are truly easy.

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice! 

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

Singer who runs a smidge

No need to time or measure the distance for the extra days, just go out for about 20-30 mins at whatever pace, with walk breaks if needed, the goal of these runs is to get into the habit or running most days.  Work towards a continuous (without walk breaks) 30-40 min daily run, and about an hour on the weekend.

Are you advocating running every day?  Or am I misreading?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

I think running every day is a solid goal, though it takes some time to build up to.  I would absolutely advocate building, slowly, to running daily.  

I may be putting words into Happyfeet's mouth, but I think he is, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Why not.  Or atleast 5-6 days a week with the rest day/s coming because of some unplanned life issues. But work towards that goal over time.  

Easy running for 30 minutes will not lead to injury, but only aid in the recovery and strengthening of joints and tendons.

Singer who runs a smidge

Interesting.  I've always struggled mightily with consistency, so maybe I would do better if I made running most days a goal.  Every day would be quite hard for me, as I sing with my chorus on Thursdays, so I'm booked from 6AM to 11PM.  But 6x should be doable, if I work my way there slowly ... thanks for giving me something to think about!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

MrNamtor

Classic.  Assuming it was posted with self-awareness....

It was. But i also realize that it's the wrong thing to say to a beginner. The OP has plenty of time to become the existential warrior with no limits AFTER he gets through at least a few months of not injuring himself.

Singer who runs a smidge

Why not.  Or atleast 5-6 days a week with the rest day/s coming because of some unplanned life issues. But work towards that goal over time.  

Easy running for 30 minutes will not lead to injury, but only aid in the recovery and strengthening of joints and tendons.

Do you run at the same time every day?  Like you come home from work, change clothes, head out?  I am very sadly prone to "I just got home, I want to settle for a minute."  Which turns into the rest of the evening.

npaden

I have a wide variety of times when I run.  Mornings, right after work, evenings, right before bed, etc. 

It also changes based on the season, right now I can't get in a run outside in the morning before I have to go to work, but in the summer that's my "normal" run time.

The key to me is making a training plan that shows what the run for that day is going to be and then making a comittment to stick to it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Do you run at the same time every day?  Like you come home from work, change clothes, head out?  I am very sadly prone to "I just got home, I want to settle for a minute."  Which turns into the rest of the evening.

I get home from work between 3:15 and 3:45.  It's my goal to be out the door by 4 every day.  If I wait longer, I've learned I do the same thing.

Running before work is also a good way to make sure you get the run in.  I've been trying to do that 2-3 times a week and enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

Not really. I work from home 2-3 times a week (IT administrator), so those days I run during Lunch, other days try to get a run in at any opportunity like dropping off kids at swim practice and get a 4 miler in. Or drop them at school and run at the green way on the way back etc. The only run I really plan for is the weekend long run. Right now not planning any races hence no long runs in the log.  For some folks, running at the same time of the day helps them stay consistent and make it a habit, but I like running enough that I head out for a run at any chance I get.

I'm all over the place. At the moment I'm just starting again after not running since June. I have similar inertia issues.

Right now I'm trying out running either right before or right after work - as my commute, but run, shower, get in the car/bus/etc would work as well if you don't have showers at work. Running after work and then getting right into the car to go home would be another option.

I used to run in the morning 3-4 days a week, then again at lunch 3-4 days a week (a couple doubles). Less of an option where I am right now than my last job. Overall I like to be at 5-7 days a week with 2 or 3 doubles. 2 days a week off is a bad habit I have.

Singer who runs a smidge

I do fairly well running in the morning during summer, when it's at least sunrise by the time I finish.  Winter, not so much.  My bugaboo is my hour-long commute and need for 8 hours of sleep.  But obviously I need to rub some dirt on my schedule and figure it out, because things aren't exactly going to rearrange themselves.  Right now I'm dealing with a bad case of runner's knee, I've done little to no running since Peachtree Road Race.  I'm starting over the hard way with C25k come December.  Right now I'm swimming and doing tai chi.  I used to run during lunch, but the neighborhood at work is downright fear-for-my-safety scary.  I can TM run at the same gym I swim at, but would rather be outside.  I've made a pact with DH and our dog Dusty, since all three of us need to reboot our running!

And my apologies for totally hijacking the OP!  Blush