Running in the heat (Read 1394 times)

Menace to Sobriety

Morning is the coolest part of the day. It is much cooler at 5am or 6am than at 7pm or even 9pm. I'd suggest running in the mornings, rather than at evening/dusk.

+1 Around here, it can still be 90 degrees as late as 10:00-11:00 PM.  Mornings are almost always the coolest part of the day.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Of course morning is the time of day when I have the least amount of energy!  Big grin

I understand though.  Weekend's coming up, I can try.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

Queen of 3rd Place

I'm like you when it comes to am. For example, last night I ran easily in 99F temps, this morning it was 65 and I struggled at a pace a solid 30 sec per mile slower than last night. Both last night and this morning there was no sun on me (sun on me *really* messes me up). Same thing happens to me again and again, no matter the other variables, am is slow and a struggle, pm is faster and easy (and fun). 

Ex runner

I'm like you when it comes to am. For example, last night I ran easily in 99F temps, this morning it was 65 and I struggled at a pace a solid 30 sec per mile slower than last night. Both last night and this morning there was no sun on me (sun on me *really* messes me up). Same thing happens to me again and again, no matter the other variables, am is slow and a struggle, pm is faster and easy (and fun). 

Maybe you were slower and sluggish this morning because you finished your other run only 9 hours earlier. 

Maybe you weren't recovered.

But, it could be that you're right.

I can fully understand and appreciate the "fun" part, but I struggle with the "easier" part.

For me, it's hard to believe that 99* in the evening could be EASIER than 65* in the morning unless there are other factors involved.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Menace to Sobriety

I would kill for 65 degree morningsSmile.

On easy runs, I am almost always slower by 20-30 sec per mile in the AM than in the PM, regardless of time since my last run. I don't think it has as much to do with energy levels as with the fact I've been motionless for 7-8 hours and it takes my old body a while to loosen up. At the end of the day, I've been up and moving around for a while, so without really trying, I just seem to go a little faster.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Lazy idiot

Apparently I'm dealing with the heat just by not running.  I'm an idiot.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Apparently I'm dealing with the heat just by not running.  I'm an idiot.

I've run a whopping 4 miles this week.  I can't even claim that I've made it up on the bike, since I've barely cracked >100, there.  I'm really tempted to go to the 24/7 gym in town and pay for a single session just to run on a dreadmill. Disapprove

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I would kill for 65 degree morningsSmile.

On easy runs, I am almost always slower by 20-30 sec per mile in the AM than in the PM, regardless of time since my last run. I don't think it has as much to do with energy levels as with the fact I've been motionless for 7-8 hours and it takes my old body a while to loosen up. At the end of the day, I've been up and moving around for a while, so without really trying, I just seem to go a little faster.

+1

I ran 12 last night in the 96 degree range, then got up this morning for 8.5 miles when the temps were in the low 80s. This mornings run was substantially slower and I'm more beat than I was last night.  I do most of my running in the morning and it's always slower for at least 3 to 5 miles. It helps to shower first, but that seems pointless on most mornings.

+1

I ran 12 last night in the 96 degree range, then got up this morning for 8.5 miles when the temps were in the low 80s. This mornings run was substantially slower and I'm more beat than I was last night.  I do most of my running in the morning and it's always slower for at least 3 to 5 miles. It helps to shower first, but that seems pointless on most mornings.

I think hydration has something to do with this as well . I've found that if I run at night and then the next morning, the morning run is much slower and feels much worse

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I walked 4 miles Sunday when it was 96 degrees and was miserable.  I was walking.

In this heat, I have to run before 6am, and even then, I feel ill.  I hate the heat.  I don't do well at all. 

I love running in the cold weather and will run in anything, as long as it's not icy. 

If I had to do it over again, I'd be living in the UK, the Pacific NW, or Maine.   Maryland?  Never.  I don't know how true Southeners deal with the heat.  I would be out of my mind if I lived in the deep South. And I mean out of my mind, literally.  The heat makes me stupid.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be over 100, and I need to run 6, so I'll be getting up early, or I won't be running at all. 

MTA:   Summer sucks, and my running turns to crap. Just when I started building my mileage back up, now this.   Am I the only one who gains weight and gets out of shape in the summer???? 

- Anya

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I got up early today for 8 miles and still it was 85F by the time I finished.  My sweat production is adequate, as my clothes are soaked through when I finish.  Weighed before and after, I lost 4.6 lbs in 8 miles.

Also I run by heartrate around 130, and the bpm made no sense - usually in a race I might see 160.  

Today I was tooling along at 140-170 and not breathing too hard. Usually the heartrate is accurate except when it's super cold and dry out (static).  I don't know what was up with that.

I don't mind the heat so much, it's supposed to make you a better runner.  If it doesn't kill you.

Bill Wagnon / stl

Hoodoo Guru

You call this heat?  Well back when I was your age we used to run in our sweatsuits when it was this hot outside.  Uphill.  For miles and miles. With no water.  Anyone who slowed down or passed out was left on the side of the road.  If you weren't crusty with your own body salt when you finished, we sent you back out again. Today's runners have it easy with their fancy schmancy wicking clothing, air conditioned gyms, sports drinks and the like. Why don't you just stay inside and play some track and field video games, you pansies.

And get off of my lawn!

The tangents are moot.

I got up early today for 8 miles and still it was 85F by the time I finished.  My sweat production is adequate, as my clothes are soaked through when I finish.  Weighed before and after, I lost 4.6 lbs in 8 miles.

Also I run by heartrate around 130, and the bpm made no sense - usually in a race I might see 160.  

Today I was tooling along at 140-170 and not breathing too hard. Usually the heartrate is accurate except when it's super cold and dry out (static).  I don't know what was up with that.

I don't mind the heat so much, it's supposed to make you a better runner.  If it doesn't kill you.

heat will make your heart rate go up. Body is working harder to cool it's self down 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

heat will make your heart rate go up. Body is working harder to cool it's self down 

+1.  For me, this is can be huge.  Heat doesn't seem to affect my breathing one bit, but my HR gets affected by 10-20+ BPM once I'm more then 15-20 minutes in if it's really hot outside. It's worse if I'm dehydrated.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

+1.  For me, this is can be huge.  Heat doesn't seem to affect my breathing one bit, but my HR gets affected by 10-20+ BPM once I'm more then 15-20 minutes in if it's really hot outside. It's worse if I'm dehydrated.

That is ONE of the main reason's I'll wear a HRM during the summer. It helps me realize when I'm starting to get dehydrated before I actually start feeling it. And yes dehydration can really affect your heart rate