2012 National Marathon/Half Marathon Thread (Read 952 times)

Julia1971

I'm not good with economics or mass transportation, so I'm calling shenanigans until someone can explain this to me:

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/2012/03/usa/packet-pick-up-for-a-friend_26461

How does charging $20/person for group/team packet pick up help ease downtown traffic congestion?  Shouldn't this be encouraged due to downtown traffic congestion?

Julia1971

I do like the finisher's medal for the relay:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/RnRUSA?sk=app_201143516562748

An asterisk denoting distance?  Pretty funny.

ymmv

I'm not good with economics or mass transportation, so I'm calling shenanigans until someone can explain this to me:

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/2012/03/usa/packet-pick-up-for-a-friend_26461

How does charging $20/person for group/team packet pick up help ease downtown traffic congestion?  Shouldn't this be encouraged due to downtown traffic congestion?

That's pretty amusing. Perhaps they want to encourage heavy traffic at the expo vendor booths.

The armory has always been my favorite place for an expo. Easy access from 295 by car with lots of free parking, easy metro access. That part of town is pretty desolate otherwise.

I was also surprised that putting the 'Rock and Roll' branding on the good old National Marathon seems to have increased participation instead of causing people to run the other direction. Maybe starting next year...

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Shenanigans,yes. Looks like the idea is to increase foot traffic for the vendors at the expo.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Julia1971

That's pretty amusing. Perhaps they want to encourage heavy traffic at the expo vendor booths.

The armory has always been my favorite place for an expo. Easy access from 295 by car with lots of free parking, easy metro access. That part of town is pretty desolate otherwise.

I was also surprised that putting the 'Rock and Roll' branding on the good old National Marathon seems to have increased participation instead of causing people to run the other direction. Maybe starting next year...

Yeah, that seems to be what people suspect.  They really should just say that.  Instead, they're going to get slammed online for the next two weeks for being dishonest.  I may make a point NOT to buy something at the Expo.  These RnR people don't seem to learn any lessons from their mistakes.

I like the Armory, too.  Great call having packet pick-ups there.  Not a fan of the convention center.  I think Marine Corps had packet pick up there one year and it was very confusing.  Speaking of, registration for Marine Corps opens today.  I'll need to think of an excuse to sneak out of a meeting I have.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Desolate?  Meaning what exactly?  Not walkable?  Say from the Capital Mall area?

steph  

ymmv

Desolate?  Meaning what exactly?  Not walkable?  Say from the Capital Mall area?

Maybe 'desolate' was not the right  word. The area around the old stadium is all huge parking lots that don't appear to be used much anymore except for storing construction equipment and debris. North/South/West of there is mostly residential without much in the way of services. For example, I don't think you can easily walk from the armory and find a place to grab lunch while you are there.

If I were coming from the mall, I would probably take the metro to the stadium armory station to get there. Maybe a DC resident on here will advise about walking it.

I've been to a number of expos at the armory: MCM a couple of times, National Marathon, Army 10 miler.... 

Having the armory open before the National Marathon was nice, as you could use indoor bathrooms and also stay warm right up until it was time to go outside and get in a corral. The bag drop was also inside the armory. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks ymmv!  Good information.  

I'm especially glad to hear about the indoor bathrooms/bag drop!  I have heard that bathrooms were

hard to come by at R&R Savannah start area.

steph  

ymmv

Thanks ymmv!  Good information.  

I'm especially glad to hear about the indoor bathrooms/bag drop!  I have heard that bathrooms were

hard to come by at R&R Savannah start area.

This was when I ran National in 2010. I don't know if RnR will do it the same way. There were still lines for the bathrooms, so that never changes.

Having a large, opaque, leaf bag to wear and an empty large-mouth bottle can be a real life-saver for any race. Wink

Tramps

I'm one of those who ran the other direction....to the Lower Potomac this weekend. 

But best of luck to all of you at National!  I will miss it.

Be safe. Be kind.

Julia1971

I wouldn't walk it. It's a straight shot on E. Capitol St. (which is on the far eastern edge of the mall behind the Capitol and by the Supreme Court) to the stadium/armory. But it's just over a mile and a half and there's nothing to see along the way. As YMMV says, best to take the Metro.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Last year I jogged it (armory to Mall) after packet pickup. There was a convenience store nearer the armory end, where I got something to drink on the way back. Not much else except residences, most of the way. Maybe a few schools or churches.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks AP, Julia, Tramps.   We will probably use the metro then.   I suspect that I'll be doing too much

walking during the week as it is with out adding any thing un-necessary Roll eyes

steph  

So here's something I've never seen before:

If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have a few options:

• Increase their pace to stay within the event minimum pace;
                              • Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or . . .

What?  So if I get tired, you'll drive me forward 10 miles and I can jog it in like I earned it? 

Best Present Ever

So here's something I've never seen before:

If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have a few options:

• Increase their pace to stay within the event minimum pace;
                                • Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or . . .

What?  So if I get tired, you'll drive me forward 10 miles and I can jog it in like I earned it? 

I've dreamed of such a thing a few times while racing, but never thought a race would actually provide the service.  You know how it is, you don't want to disappoint your kids who are waiting near the finish line to see your triumphant arrival, but not sure you can make it another 6 miles.  What a perfect solution!

I love that course, but won't run it as a Rock and Roll event.  I was pretty sad when they took it over.