How to deal with a bully in your running club? (Read 487 times)

my opinion of this situation is this: you are not happy to be there as it is; therefore the chances are high you will leave, which will mean you wont have much contact with these people after that.  So why not try using some assertiveness and tell her when she starts in on her nastiness to "stop that now, you are being inappropriate"  you stop running, you put your hand in her face and you loudly and clearly tell her to stop it.  this will give her a shock and she will hopefully realise you can't be bullied, she will HATE the hand in the face, and by stopping in your tracks you give others a chance to catch up and prevent her from getting her attitude on.  there might even be some people who will witness what is going on and have your back.

its not about picking sides, its about making a comfortable environment for you both to be social in.

With all the many downsides of getting older, the upside is that our tolerance for bullshit goes down, and we get stronger about calling people on it.  So put on your big girl pants and call her on it.  you dont need to indirectly involve the other members of the club, you just need to show her you are not afraid to stand up to her.

Alternatively,  tell her that he faked it with her....

I do if for the bananas.  They are really good bananas.

Already lots of good advice here, but at the end of the day, the key thing to remember anytime she starts acting inappropriate is 4 simple words:  "Her Weakness, not yours".   You are doing excellent in being the better person, considering how she throws all that crap at you and you addressed it with her, but not in a vengeful or instigating way.  I hope you are mostly able to avoid her + continue in the running club with other great folks in the group.

PS.  I thought ALL runners get together for drinks after they ran?  I had not heard the term "Hasher" before, but apparently I have been one all along.  Running, drinking, not even always in that order.  Yup.     Well, growing up, "hasher" meant something completely different and illegal (at least in my state).  I remember a lot of High School kids with that title.  But the only 'running' hey were doing might involve a quick sprint to elude police or school administrators.... !

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Julia1971

Kind of my thoughts.  That and why you allow some mid-20s meanie to make you her mental plaything.  You only get bullied when you give them that power over you.

Right. Having recently been in a situation where I felt a group of people routinely tried to intimidate me, realizing that in the end they had no power over me made it much more tolerable.  Eventually, I was able to see their behavior as sad and a little comical rather than hurtful.

If the situation is killing you, get the hell out.

You give her the power when you get all riled up - ignore or leave.  It's your choice.

Ready, go.

yeah, I think there's a lot of power in just choosing not to engage with someone. Also - since a poster above suggested assertiveness - if she's a real sociopath she'll just enjoy the fact that you can be assertive til the cows come home but can't actually make her stop!

If the situation is killing you, get the hell out.

You give her the power when you get all riled up - ignore or leave.  It's your choice.

Mostly harmless

This past weekend I finally asked her, when we were alone, why she was being so cruel to me and my boyfriend and she denied ever saying anything.  I asked her to not speak to me if she didn't have anything nice to say... which of course did not go well.  I could go further with the specifics of the situation and other things she has done but you get the idea.

My 2 cents is that this was a mistake. Don't wait until later because the time between "the incident' and when you discuss it makes it easier for her to deny.  Treat her like a misbehaving puppy, you stop her in the act of peeing on your carpet and correct her.

Her: So this one time me and your BF were.....

You: I don't want to talk about stuff like that, it's creepy and weird.

Her: erm... uh...

You: Did you get that outfit at Walmart? It makes your ass look huge.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

since she began running with the club before you came into the picture & she seems to be well liked by the other members it will be very difficult to work this out.   not impossible but very difficult.

You have talked with your boyfriend about this.  what is his reaction/thoughts?  Is he at all sensitive or understanding of your situation?  If he is & he loves you & is committed to you then maybe you & him should both leave the club or at least take a temporary break. Can you & your boyfriend  set up another day/time with  mutual  member friends to run ?  In the meantime stay strong & don't give in to her immature jealousy & bitterness.  hope it all works out.

kilkee

runktrun

TRUTH.  I lived with a sociopath for over a year in college.  Ended up being the coolest guy in our major by the time I got myself free of the situation.

Also, I'd like to point out that sociopaths are often a hoot in groups (though, not in groups of sociopaths -- those are just scary).

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

chilleary

Thanks to all for your thoughts!  I really appreciate a fresh perspective.  I disagree with the thought of leaving something we both really enjoy just to satisfy her though.  If any of you are hashers you understand that the club is more than just running.  I know that sounds ridiculous to many but its true!  My boyfriend was the one who introduced her to the club and he willingly took six months off to allow for wounds to heal.  When he told her he was coming back (without me mind you) she had the option of also taking some time off but has refused to do so.  I live in a small city so while I agree just changing clubs is the easiest solution I also think its an easy way out.  Like many of you said, dealing with difficult people is a fact of life... I wish she and I could just talk it out and for her to vocalize why she is upset. My boyfriend said she is crazy smart but clearly her age leaves something to be desired from an emotional intelligence perspective.  He recognizes that dating someone so young was a mistake!  Perhaps you guys are right-  I will look into other running options available!

Thanks again Smile

aponi

never runs the tangents

Are you sure that this boyfriend isn't just getting the two of you together to jack up his own ego? I just wonder if she realized when they were dating that it wasn't exclusive.

I get that its tough to walk away. Also that is letting her win but sometimes walking away is for the best.

and I'd put money on the fact that everyone in the group knows this is going on and probably resents being dragged through the drama

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

NHLA

Get creative.  When she starts the sex with your boyfriend stuff.

He told me the sex was great. When we role play he makes me use your name.

He didn't leave you because the sex was bad. It was because  -----------

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

He didn't leave you because the sex was bad. It was because  -----------

Oh, new forum game?!

He didn't leave you because the sex was bad.  It was because your farts are a war crime recognized by the Geneva Convention.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Hoban-Jay

PS.  I thought ALL runners get together for drinks after they ran?  I had not heard the term "Hasher" before, but apparently I have been one all along.  Running, drinking, not even always in that order.  Yup.     Well, growing up, "hasher" meant something completely different and illegal (at least in my state).  I remember a lot of High School kids with that title.  But the only 'running' hey were doing might involve a quick sprint to elude police or school administrators.... !

HHH --  Hash House Harriers...   Most decent sized communities have an HHH group.  Look 'em up in your area...they're loads of fun.  Which is why it would be a shame for her to leave the group...to be bullied out of the group.

Some of you are so nice, lol. I'll keep my opinions to myself, not about you chilleary, hate that you're having to deal with it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also, I'd like to point out that sociopaths are often a hoot in groups (though, not in groups of sociopaths -- those are just scary).

Yeah, this chick reeks of having narcissistic personality disorder, and I have no doubt that she is passive aggressive and that most people think she is a hoot.