World's Strongest Dad (grab the Kleenex) (Read 1008 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

thanks zoom zoom, I just broke the no crying rule at work... Cry
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
      I didn't want to read this for feat that Zoom-Zoom might be right about that **** Kleenex. That was powerful, real powerful.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

thanks zoom zoom, I just broke the no crying rule at work... Cry
        Yup. Me too. Amazing. MTA: ZZ, just when I thought my soul was cold, black, and dead, you spring this one me. Damn, now I have to go do some evil or something to get back to normal.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Been a long time since I've seen that Zoom, thank-you. IMHO, the Hoyts are living proof that angels exist on earth. Unbelievable.
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run
            I met them once quite a long time ago....and am very excited to know they are running in a race that am going to in early September (In Maynard, MASS). I fully intend to say hi to them and high five them if I get a chance....... They are BEYOND AWESOME.....words really cant describe them.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Anyone have any physiological insight into this? I almost wonder with Boston being a mostly downhill course that Dick can "hop on" (so to speak) or hitch a ride, on Rick's pushcart/wheelchair for portions of the course? Obviously he has to push up the Newton hills, but is he able to "coast" the rest of the way?
              Man, Its not physological.....its HEART ---and I guarantee if he could have coasted, he still wouldn't have done it....he is a purist... And I have seen Rick's cart...there is no way to jump on....its a one rider only cart............and also if you think Boston is a mostly downhill course, I suspect you haven't run it.....Its tough... Big grin

Dick and Rick are awesome, but I just have one question: How was it physically and humanly possible for Dick to push Rick to a 2:40 marathon?
                I was lucky enough to meet them at their 5K race in Waltham this Spring, and Doug (lostinthenet13) took this picture. When I met them, I wondered the same thing Ryan. I'm 5'8" and about 150 pounds, so you can see that Dick is not particularly physically imposing. He does have incredible legs, but your question can have only one answer and that is 100% heart. About a month before the 5K, I took this picture at the 6 mile mark of the Boston Marathon with the Hoyts and the Women's Masters winner. Absolutely amazing. The next picture I was able to take was of their backs, because they had already blown by me. Dick and Rick Hoyt at 112th Boston Marathon, April 2008 They are the best kind of celebrities, grounded, approachable and uplifting. I'm glad I wrote up a race report that night, this quote from the report sums up the aura around these two.
                This was definitely one of my all-time favorite races. I didn't run well, but I still had a goofy grin the whole time. Just being around the Hoyts has everyone in a great mood.
                If you can meet them or support them (there's a link in lostinthenet13 's signature) I heartily recommend it.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Excellent pictures Dawg..........if you come to Maynard, MA for the Monster.com 3.5 mile.....they are suppose to be there..or so I read.........That is on Sept 7th......the race starts right at the kick off of the first Patriots Game (which I havent missed in 15 years), but I think I'm gonna break away from the Pats that day and run in Maynard......Come on down.....

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Dick and Rick are awesome, but I just have one question: How was it physically and humanly possible for Dick to push Rick to a 2:40 marathon? Seriously? Thats a 6:07 mile! Thats a 19min 5k! I can barely run a 5k that fast, and I'm ~20 years younger than Dick was at the time. Anyone have any physiological insight into this? I almost wonder with Boston being a mostly downhill course that Dick can "hop on" (so to speak) or hitch a ride, on Rick's pushcart/wheelchair for portions of the course? Obviously he has to push up the Newton hills, but is he able to "coast" the rest of the way? Don't take this as if I'm accusing them of cheating, what they did is amazing, but I just cant comprehend that speed!
                    No chance in hell that they have ever "cheated". If Dick wanted to cheat he would have just stayed home and had a jelly donut. He runs it because it gives his son life. The same life his son gives him every time they run. I have run those kind of speeds with a 110 lb stroller(far short of what theirs weighs) and it ain't easy. I can't imagine doing it for 26.2 though. Much less for an ironman! However, you would be surprised what a motivation your children can be! Everyone asks me why I don't put away the stroller and see how fast I really could be. The truth is that one day I will do that but for now I just don't really want to run without them. You would be surprised how fast you can run when your child cheers you on the entire way! For me that was a 4:55 mile with him in tow! Hopefully, by some miracle of technology rick's dream will come true. Until then I will just enjoy watching both of them do the impossible.