Plan for straight running (Read 472 times)

Send me a PM or send me an e-mail via www.running-wizard.com and we'll go from there. ;o)

Ok, this totally made me LOL. I guess I left that door wide open with my title.

Nobby, Yes, I'd love for you to create a plan for me. I don't do well on my own, I need direction. I understand everything you brought up and it makes sense. About what was confusing you, I believe I can run for 30 mins without a walk break, but I haven't tried. I have been running intervals pretty much since I started in 2009. Last summer where there is a huge lull in my log, I tried running without walk breaks and stopped for a while, so I started up with the run/walk again. I'm frustrated becasue my HM PR was my first HM. I have gotten progressively slower as my training has gotten more haphazard since I am so frustrated. My other obstacle is that I like running with my 3 running buddies, two of them are not interested in ditching the walk breaks so I lose my weekday companionship, which is hard for me because I run so early I feel much safer as a pair. My weekend running buddy is now capable of running 2 hours straight and has gotten much faster than I am so I have a lot of work to do to run with her again. I have to get over these personal annoyances and just run so I can achieve my goals. So, my log would be confusing since I am slowing down as the days pass. Help Smile

Everyone, thank you for taking time to reply. I'm so frustrated with myself.

Supersono99

I've never heard of running wizard before, but I sent you an email through there. When you referenced it yesterday I searched all over RA for it, I didn't realize it was separate.

No more marathons

I don't see  a difference between gay or straight when it comes to running.

Ok, this totally made me LOL. I guess I left that door wide open with my title.

I'm only surprised that it took 11 posts to come out (wait - did I mean that?)

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Supersono99

I'm only surprised that it took 11 posts to come out (wait - did I mean that?)

I see what you did there.

No more marathons

I see what you did there.

Awww shucks!   It's nice to have ones genius recognized in ones own lifetime. Blush

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

happylily

Amy, no advice for you, just a big hug and a good luck! And my own story, of course. (we all have one, after all. :-))

I remember in my early 30s (when I was maybe fitter overall than I am now), I was so frustrated that I couldn't run longer than 12 minutes without having the urge to stop. Each attempt at running would end after about 7 days because of this. I would try running twice or three times a year and it always ended the same way, with me thinking the hell with it... Ten years later, I changed my method.  I decided to run that 12 continuous minutes, then walk 200 steps, then run again 5 minutes, walk, etc.. It was sort of disorganized. I just went with how I felt. First few days, it must have been a 30 min run/walk. Within two or three weeks, I could run about 45 minutes non-stop, because I kept extending the first all-running part of my runs. I kept the same method (run/walk), until I could run 90 minutes non-stop, before taking a litle walk break. Last week, I ran a 24 mile LR, and I stopped once for water. That's 5 years later... So you see, I didn't really go with a ratio, like a 9-1 run/walk, but instead, I would run as long as I could, would take a few minutes of walking, and resume running as long as I felt I could again and I built on that. But it started really small, you see? :-)There is always a little extra energy left in us. Take a little break and start running again to get that extra distance in. Of course, there are other methods, and mine was sort of all over the place, but I always kept track of that first all running part and made sure it was getting longer and longer, week after week.

Remember that we are all different when it comes to progress. You must know Heidi? She did in 8 months what took me 5 years to accomplish. At first, I saw this as discouraging for myself. But I realized that it is counterproductive to think like that. What makes us strong individuals is that we do not give up, we try again and again.

Anyway, this was in no way advice for you, just a little story to show you that you are not alone. We've all experienced our share of frustrations and questioned our own abilities. Do not despair, the ability to run continuously is there in you. (((Amy)))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Supersono99

Aww, thank you, J, that means a lot. I've tried this before and got frustrated. I want this time to be the last time.

OneidaMorrison

Good discussion.

Joann Y

Altair5

Runs in the rain

You have the basics, 3 to 6 runs each week, combine jogging with walk breaks, gradually increase distance of long run each week, and be consistent. You will find that as you do long runs it will be hard. but once you have done a certain distance anything significantly less will seem easier. Also, even after running and training for long distance I find the first 2 to 3 miles the most difficult. Something keeps telling me that it is too hard, better to lay on the couch and watch TV! But it really takes time for muscles to warm up and the circulation going and after a few miles I reach "the zone" where I can run at a comfortable pace without really thinking about it. Kind of being in an alpha state where I may just daydream or think about other things. It also helps to use "magical thinking" to overcome the rational part of your mind that is telling you that you're tired and to to stop running. For example: if you are running outdoors look around, Look up at the sky, see children playing, horses in the fields, ocean waves, etc. and imagine adsorbing the positive energy from these making you less tired. Some people pretend to have magic shoes or have a giant hand gently pushing them along. Whatever visualization works for you. You can also try an MP-3 player if traffic is not too bad, anything to distract that part of the mind that wants you to stop. Another useful technique is to break your run up in your mind. Don't think of how much total distance you have yet to run, instead visualize a goal of something not as far like "I am going now up to that big tree" or "I will keep running to the top of this hill". These ideas might seem silly, but they can work for you. Don't push too hard and become discouraged or injured, it is OK to slow down, walk or stop if you need to. Again, be consistent and only gradually increase until you reach your goal. Good luck!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                      Get up, get out, get out of the door!