Treadmills - No excuses, but... (Read 1321 times)

I love running in the cold and snow and sleet *IF* the drivers know how to handle foul weather. Since TN seems to cancel school at the thought of snow flurries, I do not like to run in the outside when it is less than perfect weather here -- it's just too dangerous.
    Southern Indiana kinda gets that way too. Yesterday was freezing fog. I'll run in the dark in fog with an armband flashing light, but WON'T do so in afternoon fog. Drivers seem to think that in daylight they can see better and speed up way to fast for the conditions!! In the dark they know they can't see crap and slow down.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

nemo1

I've lived in IN/MI (I'm on the border and often run into Michigan because it's all farm land in that direction instead of city in the other) for the last ten years, but this would have been my first year running in the winter (I only started running a year ago). Up until this year, I wouldn't have had a problem with my resolution to run in anything. I stuck with it until we got over a foot of snow on the ground all at once. I don't mind running in the snow or on icy/snowy ground, but I'm afraid of cars. So, I won't run in the winter anymore unless the road conditions make me confident that at least most of the teenage drivers around here won't hit me. So, now, I'm waiting for the snow to melt, and for the weather to quit leaving ice all over the ground. The last thing I need to do is break something and have to wait for somebody to come get me. For now, it's the indoor track for me. Around and around I go 10 laps for a mile, or was it 8? That is the annoying part about tracks, you have to keep track. But, I like it better than treadmills, at least you get to see something different while running for a couple of hours. The only problem is that I tend to have to schedule runs when I'm supposed to be doing school work. So, I've convinced the house to buy a treadmill so there won't be any excuses... Midnight run anyone?
        I do all of my winter running on the treadmill. I won't run by myself outside and my husband only runs in weather 40 degrees or higher...and no snow (I agree with that). Plus we have a 5 year old and if one of the older three kids aren't home to watch him we can't run together!! Better to hit the treadmill than not run. Smile

Michelle

Bugs

va, Think someone is trying to make you take a rest day! Really cold weather running is not that bad. Harder if you are running more than 10 miles. The other day it was 1F and I thought it was warm. When you get back inside your cheeks are rosie, body is happy to absorb some sunshine, it's a high you don't get from the TM.

Bugs

Sun here in winter is bad. Sun in winter means COLD. I woke up this morning, saw the bright sunshine, and knew it was at least fifteen below zero, air temp (not counting wind chill). Too cold for my blood. I saw one crazy person out running while I was driving to the gym. Dead
              No way! I think you guys who run in the cold are nuts. The lowest temperature I've ever run in was 48*, and that was way too cold! When I am driving to the gym, at 5:30 in the morning, I see people running outside in sub-freezing temperatures, and I have to look away. It hurts just to watch! Big grin
              No excuses!! I ran in 18 degree weather yesterday morning here in New Mexico and was just fine. You just have to know how to dress. If it's anywhere 40 or above, that is shorts/skirt weather.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                I saw a dude running the other day, in shorts, and it was a slushy, nasty wintery mix... I like running in the snow, but not slush. I mean, his feet must have been sopping wet. But, I guess he hates the treadmill!!! Ithought of him today, as I got on my treadmill, becuase I couldnt handle the 15 degree weather... I am sooooo lame! Guess I need to HTFU!

- Anya

Renee the dog

Just got back from running 4 mi. outside. It's 23, with a "real feel" of 6. wqqqssssssssaassqw3333222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 Sorry, line 2 is what my running partner, my dog, had to say about it. I think I'll leave that for individual interpretation. Wink Anyway, I find that once I get the gear right, I can go no matter what here at the coast in NJ. FLAT and almost never icy. I do use a lot of my ski gear to help round out my running outfits in the really bad weather. I like running in stinking hot, humid weather, too. But, unless recovering from an injury, I can't say I ever like running on a TM. That's my "just can't do it."

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

A Saucy Wench

No way! I think you guys who run in the cold are nuts. The lowest temperature I've ever run in was 48*, and that was way too cold! When I am driving to the gym, at 5:30 in the morning, I see people running outside in sub-freezing temperatures, and I have to look away. It hurts just to watch! Big grin
                    ROFL, 48 is WARM, 48 is PERFECT. I LOVE 48. Anything above 60 is too freaking HOT and that includes the gym There has to be glare ice for me to take it indoors

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

wildchild

Carolyn

I don't mind running in cold weather, but I don't like cold and windy. And we get a lot of cold windy days here in the Rocky Mountains. Today was just breezy, sunny, and 33 degrees - what a nice change! Of course, since it was above freezing the top layer of snow was slushy, which made it hard going in some places, but the dogs were so happy to go out for a run! I usually head indoors to the rec center running track if it's in the single digits or is windy, but otherwise much prefer outside. I also avoid really hot weather, but luckily it doesn't really ever get hot here at altitude. Of course, running at this altitude (9300 ft) has its difficulties, and nothing's flat at all, but I love it here. For those of you asking about a flat marathon - we have some all downhill marathons near here. The main issue for flatlanders is the altitude.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.