Garmin Forerunner 205 (Read 368 times)

ckerr1999

I just started running this past August. This fall I was looking at buying a Garmin GPS watch. My friend who use to be a runner gave me his old Garmin Forerunner 205 watch. I absolutely love the watch. My only complaint is it can take a few minutes to lock onto the satellite signal. I am wondering how the 205 compares to the Forerunner 210 or Forerunner 610. Thanks

an amazing likeness

The 205 is a farily old model at this point...works fine, but not the latest packaging. Having said that it, like all GPS devices it will get its satellite links dialed in quickly if you don't move it.  Lots of folks just set it on some nearby surface while it locks everything in and gets itself all psych'd for the run.  Then strap it on and go.

(me, I go for the stoic-unmoving-man pose)

Here's a link to a guy's website (dcrainmaker) who does some really good GPS reviews if you want to compare the various models.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Big grin 

I've had my 305 (which is basically the same watch as the 205 but with HRM ability) and as MilkTruck says just set it down and it will pick up the satellites in a matter of 1-2 minutes.  If running from home I step outside turn it on and set it down then go in and put my running hsoes on and by the time I head out the door it is ready to go.  If I am driving someplace to run from or to a race I simply turn it on and set it on the dash as soon as I arrive and then it is always good to go when I am ready to head out.  Even if I am racing once I am at the race location I always turn it on and let it lock in the satellites and then shut it off again.  Then about 5 minutes before race time I turn it on and it always seems to lock in pretty quickly.

As MilkTurck says these are the older versions of Gramin's but they work great! 

nycerunner60

I have the 205 and can say that after trying all the Nike products including the horrible experience with Nike GPS, the Garmin is the best and most reliable

Jeff F

Free Beer

I have had a 305 for several years.  My solution to the few minutes it takes to lock on is to put it outside where it has a clear shot at the satellites while I put on my shoes.  The only time this doesn't work is when I stay at a hotel surrounded by tall buildings, then you just have to wait...

For comparison, I just recieved a 610 as a gift and it locks on considerably faster than my 305.

Hoban-Jay

I have had a 305 for several years.  My solution to the few minutes it takes to lock on is to put it outside where it has a clear shot at the satellites while I put on my shoes.  The only time this doesn't work is when I stay at a hotel surrounded by tall buildings, then you just have to wait...

For comparison, I just recieved a 610 as a gift and it locks on considerably faster than my 305.

Ditto w/ my 205.  Also, if I'm driving to a trail spot, I''ll turn it on and set it on the dashboard, and it will pick up the signal.

If you use it almost all the time from one location, it will pick up a signal very quickly from that location.  Lastly, keep it well charged.  It seems to find the satelites MUCH quicker if it is fully or nearly fully charged.

Hope this helps!

Rusk Runner

The only reason I got rid of the 205 for a 405 was for an HRM.  Other than size, I had no problem with the 205.  If you got the 205 for free, I use it for as long as you can and consider it a wonderful gift that saved you a chunk of money.  Unless you need and HRM the 205 pretty well gives you every bit of info you could need albeit in a larger package.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!