Cold run! (Read 912 times)

cmb4314

Another Minnesota runner here, though this is only my third winter here, so I don't hold a candle to Nobby's 21!

I agree that it may have just been the fact that you were starting out faster that made your calves hurt.  In 34/26 degree temperatures, I'm out there a good percentage of the time in capri pants, so at least for me, cold doesn't do anything to my muscles Smile 

Fingertip warmth is my nemesis.  I don't have great circulation and I have a lot of trouble keeping my fingers warm.  Some sort of windproof glove is excellent, because often it is the wind that does me in moreso than the temperature.

Breathing cold air isn't so bad, unless it is REALLY cold.  It isn't great for the first few minutes, but once I get accustomed to it, it's really okay.  I'm also kind of claustrophobic so I very, very rarely cover my face or my neck while I run.  

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

juniordo1

...Another Minnesota runner here, though this is only my third winter here 

... Some sort of windproof glove is excellent, because often it is the wind that does me in moreso than the temperature.

...Breathing cold air isn't so bad, unless it is REALLY cold.  It isn't great for the first few minutes, but once I get accustomed to it, it's really okay.  I'm also kind of claustrophobic so I very, very rarely cover my face or my neck while I run.  

Minnesota Runner here too.I trained all last winter for my April marathon. I used to like running in the heat but now I'm a big fan of winter running.

If its really cold I'll wear leather insulated work gloves, otherwise just hardware store $1 cotton gloves. Wind is usually more of a factor than temp for me.

I had in my mind that I couldn't breathe the super cold air so I bought a fleece balaclava and found that I hate breathing through it while running.

For my marathon it was 41 degrees. I wore shorts, long-sleeved technical shirt, balaclava rolled up for a hat, $1 cotton work gloves and I was comfortable the whole way.

My normal winter gear (I call it low cost but effective) consists of polypro long johns, heavy shorts to protect sensisitve areas, with regular sweat pants. On top I go with a tech shirt, a fleece layer, and a windreaker. Throw on the balaclava and some gloves and off I go. Technical socks with my ASICs shoes have always been warm enough for me.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

My profile photo was taken after an 11.5 mile run at -10 deg F.  I get better icycles at lower temperatures, but that was the only time I remembered to set a camera by the door.  When the temperature is below -20 deg F, the little ice balls on my eyelashes build up and pull my eyelids closed.  Otherwise, I'm perfectly comfortable.

Just keep adding clothes until you are comfortable.  If you go out with too much on, you can always remove a layer or two. 

I don't know why, but the ad next to this post is a young babe wearing almost nothing.  And smiling. 

Encouragement welcome

My profile photo was taken after an 11.5 mile run at -10 deg F.  I get better icycles at lower temperatures, but that was the only time I remembered to set a camera by the door.  When the temperature is below -20 deg F, the little ice balls on my eyelashes build up and pull my eyelids closed.  Otherwise, I'm perfectly comfortable.

Just keep adding clothes until you are comfortable.  If you go out with too much on, you can always remove a layer or two. 

I don't know why, but the ad next to this post is a young babe wearing almost nothing.  And smiling. 

Wow.  You win the Abominable Snowman award, hands down! 

I ran on a treadmill tonight.  Very little shin pain except toward the end of my 3.5 miles.

Pace Goal : 14 mm

5k Goal: 40 minutes

10k, half, and marathon someday....

(Hey, I'm just getting started!)

dallison

registered pw

If it's about 40 degrees out i'll wear shorts instead of sweatpants. I will always wear gloves as my hands are always cold.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm a new runner too and this is my first winter running, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but you may want a warmer pair of tights. The Nike Drifit Thermal Tights are my favorite for below the 30s. Generally I wear capris in the 40s, UA Coldgear tights in the 30s, but my legs get too cold in those below the 30s, or if it is low 30s with windchill. Then I switch to the Nikes and am much more comfortable. I love calf compression sleeves....I tend to get calf cramps....but I find that when I wear them under tights it's a little too much compression and they get uncomfortable. But that also may just be me. Way to get out there! It feels pretty badass to run in cold weather doesn't it? Cool

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to