God Bless Running (Read 4642 times)

JakeKnight

Babbling, semi-coherent stressed-out rant to follow: It has been a craptacular day. I've been sitting in this chair since 5:30 a.m. Too much coffee. I'm stressed out beyond belief. Life sucks, work sucks, everything sucks ... and worst of all, I haven't run a step since Sunday. I haven't had time. And I don't have time now. It's going to get me in trouble, probably cost me money. But running is the only thing that sounds good right now. Second place would be several large shots of Patron Silver ... but that's too complicated, I'd need a lime and some salt, you know. I need to run. I mean, I *need* to run. (Which reminds me ... am I the only one who wonders if running might actually be addictive for real at times?) Funny part is I don't know how I got to this needing-to-run place. But it's the only thing that works at times like this. Just a pair of shoes and a direction to point them towards. All I need, all that works. The only way to get to this place where all that exists is a pounding heart and dripping sweat. Where there are no phones, no computer screens, no demanding clients, no deadlines, no bills. So I'm blowing off everything and just running. I just don't care. I'm going running. Hard and long and as fast as I can. Enough pain and everything else goes away. If I had a couple Gu's in the house I think I'd do a JLynnBob size run, just because. Run. Run. Run. Must run. Away? To something? I dunno. Does it matter? The stress will fade and my legs will hurt and my lungs will ache and I'll run harder until everything hurts and then I'll go faster and the world will vanish and it'll be me and the trees and the wind and the monkeys and nothing else will matter. Rant off. Shoes on. Monkeys beware. Gotta run.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hope it's a great one! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

A) I've been there. In fact, during the week, if I DON'T get a run in, by 5 I'm bouncing off the walls. B) It's completely addictive.

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey, look at the bright side...your girlfriend will soon be able to run circles around you! Tongue Just kidding! I've been in sortof a slump...can't shake it. Definitely a habit that you need to keep feeding. BUT...don't forget the balance...you gotta have the balance. Hang tough, Jake! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

The final tally: Miles - 15.8 Miles in hellacious hills - 11.2 at sub-PR pace. Elevation change - @ 1000 feet Gu - 0 Half-empty Gu container spotted in the dirt that I almost picked up and slurped on - 1 Water - 0 Jolly Ranchers - 3 Jolly Rancher dropped in the dirt but eaten anyway (slightly crunch) - 1 Wild Turkeys (the bird) - 7 Wild Turkey (the beverage) - 0 Bambi (the deer) - 3 Bambi (the Playboy playmate, circa 1978) - 0 Large, hungry owl (or well disguised flying monkey) - 1 Overly aggressive chipmunks (or well disguised flying monkeys) - 147 Times lost - 2 Grumpy bicyclists reluctant to give directions - 1 Hot moms jogging w/strollers - 2 Near death experiences crossing busy street - 1.5 Breathtaking views - 42 Trips - 3 Falls - 1 Dangerous holes in ground - 1 Contemplated lawsuits - 1 People making out in cars - 2 People too old too drive creating additional near death experiences - 4 Creative curse words hurled at aforementioned drivers - 17.5 Hours iPod battery worked: 1.5 Creative curse words hurled at aforementioned iPod: 12.5 Large hills (going up) - 147 Large hills (going down) - 3 Girls' cross country team - 1 Members of girls' cross country team I could probably beat in a fair race - 0 Odds of a fair race - 0 Members of girls' cross country team I could probably beat in a fair fight - 3 Angry clients - 2.5 $ lost - @ $200 Sore toes - 1 Aching calves - 2 Happy Jakes - 1 The conclusion: Running is better than sex. Monkey sex.

Wingz

Professional Noob

You know, Jake, I was really enjoying your run report until I scrolled down to your picture. That really ruined it for me. No

Roads were made for journeys...

Just a pair of shoes and a direction to point them towards. All I need, all that works.
                That's great. Around here, you still have to wear more than just a pair of shoes to run. Yeah, in Las Vegas they'll arrest you if you don't also wear some clothes as well. Imagine--Sin City, and you can't just wear shoes to run.
                My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                  Thanks for that Jake...I'm going running!
                    that's it. you're addicted. welcome to the club. Smile
                    "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
                      I'm pretty new here...but I must say Jake you're so funny! I actually find myself looking for your posts so I can share your sense of humor with others. Thanks for making it so fun.
                      Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
                        After reading this thread...just pondering I'm sitting here behind my desk (sssht, don't tell my boss), and I still have 69 minutes to go before my weekend starts. The sun is setting slowly, the autumnal leafs glow in those golden rays... It'll be 6.30 when I come home, and almost dark... My husband will have prepared dinner, so I'll have to eat first, and starting right after dinner doesn't sound like a good idea... That means at least 3 hours before I can run, and will have to stay on the roads because of the darkness... But the good news: After today, I have 3 weeks off from work , so I will be able to run by daylight, and can head to the woods Smile Smile Smile

Running in Belgium
                        Ann

Marathonmanleto

Well done Jake. I can relate to the Running Jones. Two days and counting...26.2 here I come!
                          JakeKnight

You know, Jake, I was really enjoying your run report until I scrolled down to your picture. That really ruined it for me. No
                            Roll eyes Should have seen the picture I almost used ...
                            That's great. Around here, you still have to wear more than just a pair of shoes to run. Yeah, in Las Vegas they'll arrest you if you don't also wear some clothes as well. Imagine--Sin City, and you can't just wear shoes to run.
                            Hey, Pheidippides ran nekkid, didn't he? Of course, I do admit that I prefer a little more, um, support. But you probably don't have that problem. Tongue
                            that's it. you're addicted. welcome to the club. Smile
                            You say that like it's a good thing ...
                            After reading this thread...just pondering I'm sitting here behind my desk (sssht, don't tell my boss), and I still have 69 minutes to go before my weekend starts. The sun is setting slowly, the autumnal leafs glow in those golden rays... It'll be 6.30 when I come home, and almost dark... My husband will have prepared dinner, so I'll have to eat first, and starting right after dinner doesn't sound like a good idea... That means at least 3 hours before I can run, and will have to stay on the roads because of the darkness... But the good news: After today, I have 3 weeks off from work , so I will be able to run by daylight, and can head to the woods Smile Smile Smile
                            Please tell me that English is not your second (or third or fourth) language. Because if I'm right and a non-native speaker just used this language - "The sun is setting slowly, the autumnal leafs glow in those golden rays" - then I need to re-evaluate my language skills. I can barely order a burrito in Spanish, for example. And I'd have to ask permission to use "autumnal" in English. Wow. By the way, we're all coming to Belgium. I heard you have great waffles. Can we stay at your place? Cool
                            Well done Jake. I can relate to the Running Jones. Two days and counting...26.2 here I come!
                            I'll be thinking about you tomorrow - good luck! Break a leg! (Nix that last part).
                            I'm pretty new here...but I must say Jake you're so funny! I actually find myself looking for your posts so I can share your sense of humor with others. Thanks for making it so fun.
                            Blush Shy Why, thank you, ma'am. We aim to please.
                            Thanks for that Jake...I'm going running!
                            Me, too. Great idea!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

By the way, we're all coming to Belgium. I heard you have great waffles. Can we stay at your place? Cool
                              Screw the waffles, give me some CHOCOLATE!!! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Please tell me that English is not your second (or third or fourth) language.(...) By the way, we're all coming to Belgium. I heard you have great waffles. Can we stay at your place? Cool
                                It's not my second (that's French) and not my fourth language (that's German), but I fear I speak English a little bit better than those. I'm Flemish (Dutch speaking Belgian), so I really have to know other languages. Dutch is only spoken by 6 million in Belgium and 16 million in the Netherlands. French and German are the other official languages here.... Of course you all can come over to my place Wink.... You can have waffleshttp://www.visitbelgium.com/waffles.htm, chocolates http://www.planetechocolat.be/planete_produits_uk.html, or some other traditional Belgian foodhttp://www.visitbelgium.com/tradcuisine.htm

Running in Belgium
                                Ann